My old cub scout knife...

Home for the weekend this Thanksgiving, and I found my old Cub Scout knife... well, old to me, I guess it is about 13-14 years old or so... Imagine my surprise when I saw it was made by Camillus!

At any rate, it was in the garage, and has a lot of rust and grime in it...

Question 1: Can anyone give me some info on the knife (model number, steel type, etc)

Question 2: What is the best way to try and clean this puppy up? There are a few patches of rust, and the blade has taken a greyish tone to it. I don't want to do anything that will damage it too much, I abused it enough as a kid
smile.gif

Thanks!
Tom

Tom,
Glad you've got a CAMILLUS! I'll need some more info to ID the knife. We've made ALOT of Scout knives[and Cub Scouts]. Any blade markings, and best would be a scan. Looking forward to helping you.

------------------
Stay Sharp!
Will Fennell
Camillus Cutlery

Will,

I can't get a scan to you, sorry, but I'll do my best to give you a written description.

If it helps, it was probably purchased in either '87 or '88.

It looks almost exactly like the BSA8 shown on this page (minus the can opener):
<a href="http://www.knifeoutlet.com/camilluspix.htm">http://www.knifeoutlet.com/camilluspix.htm</a>

The scales are a navy blue, with a gold, diamond-shaped cub scout shield w/ a Wolf, the words "Cub Scouts" and "BSA" underneath. The bolsters are nickle like in appearance, and there's also a lanyard ring attached to one end.

I seem to once remember there being a marking on the blade, but it is no longer visible.
frown.gif

The can opener and the awl both have brass thumb sized liners to keep them locked in place.

Dimensions: 3 1/2" closed
Blade Length: 2 1/2"
bottle opener/screwdriver: 1 1/2"
awl: 1 3/4"

BTTT,

Will, is there anymore info I can give you to help you ID this knife?
smile.gif
I'm sure my description could be more vague, but I'm not sure how
wink.gif

If they fix the scanner here at work, I might be able to post a pic. lemme know.

..tm

Tom,
Phil is trying to get the specifics for you now,.....should have something tomorrow.

------------------
Stay Sharp!
Will Fennell
Camillus Cutlery

Tom,

I believe your knife is a BSA885.
Specs on current version:
3 3/8" Length closed
2 1/4' stainless steel spear blade
Locking leather punch
locking screwdriver/bottle opener
Blue jigged Delrin handle
square coined brass cub scout shield
nickel silver bolsters
brass linings
Nickel silver shackle

From your description it sounds like yours has carbon steel blades. In my opinion that makes the knife 18-20 years old or more.
I would need to see the knife to be more accurate.
If you would like, you can send it back to my attention & I will clean it up for you & attempt to date it for you.

Hope this helps.
Phil

Back