My pet peeve, Science is everything

Science brought us cool drugs, spaceships, video games and nuclear bombs.
Art brought us art history...

I'll stick with science.;)

Some Jews believe, my Lord Duke,
that hell—spoken as “sheol”— is a manner of many levels,
in form great circles, each containing the opposite of truth.
So being that up is down, and down becomes up;
left is right, and right is left; good becomes ill—ill, good;
and sunlight noon turns darkest night…
all and every object found us unseemly misproportion.
Therefore, it may be understood, they say, that the
truths which are the sense of the City of God, becomes
this, nonsense—and this city of stone a habitation of devils,
whose voices sound in echoes only.

Luigi Loquesto,
Letters to His Grace Cesare, Duke of Romagna

Remembered "The Moses of Michelangelo" written by Sigmund Freud... why did I?

I'll stick with science.;)

I'll stick with art.

:D

The true artist works for himself, if his art touches him it will touch others. His reward is his work.

Back in the 70's a friend who ran an atmospheric science outfit at a large university foretasted a future global warming - Why? Because there were numerous amounts of grant funds to prove it, very few to disprove it. Those who sought to disprove the theory soon were gone. Enough said.

Because there were numerous amounts of grant funds to prove it, very few to disprove it. Those who sought to disprove the theory soon were gone. Enough said.

Many customer's funds supporting knifemakers who speak total bunk, not many customer's going to buy that knife to disprove it.

As moderator, I have to point out that this thread has been up for about thirty hours, had over 100 posts, and only a few of the posts have had anything to say that fits Shop talk.
The thread that this one is a spin-off of became just as silly before it rolled off the page in 48 hours and 80 posts.
Lets try and keep shop talk on the subject of making knives. Around the Grinder, as well as some other areas, is probably more suited to these type of chit-chat threads

Reminds me of a time when I was a cop and reading an Anthology on Social Deviance. The assistant chief wanted to know what Anthology had to do with police work?

As moderator, I have to point out that this thread has been up for about thirty hours, had over 100 posts, and only a few of the posts have had anything to say that fits Shop talk.
The thread that this one is a spin-off of became just as silly before it rolled off the page in 48 hours and 80 posts.
Lets try and keep shop talk on the subject of making knives. Around the Grinder, as well as some other areas, is probably more suited to these type of chit-chat threads

Stacy, not trying to be a wise guy, but it does say "the art of knife making" up at the top. So,... since art does involve philosophy and science, I think it fits. There have been less pertinent threads on this board before, no?

However, you are the mod, I respect that, and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if it were moved to "Around the Grinder".

Last edited:
Drugs, spaceships, video games, a guy named Art....Yeah, I get it....knife making art discussion.

The full topic description is - The Art of Knife making - Advice on methods, supplies , and materials. Quoting only half is a false argument.

Moved to around the grinder, by request.

"A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science into superstition, and art into pedantry." -- G. B. Shaw

Science also brought us mobile lobotomies.

It also brought us G-10.:)
And stabilized wood.
Not to mention cool new alloys of steel, aluminum in huge quantities (used to be reserved for emperors), different alloys of titanium, anodizing, liquid nitrogen, high-strength adhesives, laser cutting...

Science has brought us some good things and some not so good.

Art on the other hand, is a lot safer than science in a physical sense,... and has brought us our humanity.

Art involves science and philosophy (though not limited to them) and has enabled us to define what it means to be human up to this point in history,… in a non-destructive, creative manner.

Last edited:
Back