My Pocket Hobbit and I don't understand each other

I think I'm a little dense.

I just got a Pocket Hobbit, love it once opened, it's an exellent knife, scary looking, but nice.

I just am not quite getting how to get it out of the breakaway sheath into the reverse grip in less than a couple of steps, I understand that it is ment to be flicked open.. am I right here? but do you have to thumb the rolling lock switchy thing? I do with mine to free up the tension.. and..

as you can see I'm confused. Could someone explain this to me using small words? I'd really appreciate it.

Sigh.. I'm thinking of just getting a clip on it, I generally like to clip my knives inside my pants in the small of my back. The belt sheath is just too open for Suburban Philly. Maybe once sweater season comes back.

Best, and thanks for the help

Todd (edgedance)

Entire process is accomplished in a quick series of simple movements. . . shouldn't take more than 1.5 seconds from start to finish.

1. Knife is attached to belt on right hip. Knife is located outside belt, not IWB.

2. Reach down with right hand and pinch the protruding part of the handle between thumb and two or three fingers. Grip on the knife will not be adjusted from this point until after the knife is fully deployed, so make sure you have a good grip.

3. Pull knife straight up and out of the sheath. At this point, the knife should be out of the sheath held close to your body at chest or shoulder height.

4. Flick knife down to open blade: a quick snapping movement, as though you are holding a paint brush and flinging paint onto the ground in front of you. At this point, you should still only be holding the knife between your two fingers and thumb, but the blade should be open in a reverse grip and locked into place.

Note: It should not be necessary to mess with the lock release at all during this entire process. If the blade is too stiff to flick open, you have other problems. . . you might need to loosen the screw tension, etc.

5. Slide fingers forward around the handle, and you're ready to go.

I also like the idea of a pocket clip as a more discrete option, but haven't had any problems so far with the sheath. . . So many people carry cell phones and pagers these days that another chunk of black plastic attached to someones belt is very easy to overlook. In fact, I find that it blends in better when wearing more formal work clothes (suit, tie, etc), than it does when wearing blue jeans and a tucked-in t-shirt. I've worn mine openly in downtown San Francisco with no strange looks, or any other problems at all. I honestly don't think *normal* people even notice these kinds of things.

-Latebound

I agree with Latebound's description in all but one respect. Rather than pulling the knife straight up and out of the sheath, I push it forward through the break front.

------------------
Cheers,
Brian

He who finishes with the most toys wins.

NOTE: My old PhotoPoint site is no more. Follow the "toys" link to my new site.

Brian is correct. The Pocket Hobbit sheath (produced by one of REKAT's previous contractors) is meant to break out the front. Combined with an inertia opening, this allows you to deploy the blade on the draw. Very quick into action! The sheath that came with mine was a little loose for my tastes, so I made one up out of thicker material - a lot more secure and just as fast. Also made myself an IWB rig with the blade already deployed and some belt/pack sheaths that were presented, along with the Pocket Hobbits, to an elite military group. This little knife rocks!

Mike Sastre
River City Sheaths

Back