My Poor credit card... :)

You're going to love it. If you haven't seen it already, check out Phil Elmore's review here. The article is so positive, you'd almost think it's "hype", but it isn't. From my own experience with the knife, I can personally vouch for his claims. The Pentagon is one of the best designs SOG has ever introduced.

I checked out the Elmore review, I was actually looking for pictures of the pentagon and saw him with the knife, it should be fun to get... Monday or Tuesday hopefully.

The stupid huge SOG branding on everything is ridiculous.
+:thumbup:
Yeah i own three SOG's myself, a first gen Tomcat, a rehandled Desert Dagger (Kraton went mushy) and an old paratool. I really like my SOG knives and some of their classics and some of the newer designs but i won't be buying any new SOG's. In my opinion the oversized SOG branding and SOG cutouts on their new knives are garish and unappealing. Totally ruins the aesthetics of the knife. Hopefully they will abandon this tact and come back to their senses soon.

Sog has been good to me. I've gotten quite a few knives from them either dirrectly, from trades or other stores. Their service and support has been wonderfull.

If I wasn't investing in some Firearms right now I'd have gotten a few new SOGs recently. Every time I hear a negative comment about SOG I want to buy a new one just to see whats wrong with it. So far I ain't found problems. Sure they don't use a lot of super steels, but what they use works for it's design nicely. More you talk SOG the more I buy. :D he hehe

Heber

Yeah i own three SOG's myself, a first gen Tomcat, a rehandled Desert Dagger (Kraton went mushy) and an old paratool. I really like my SOG knives and some of their classics and some of the newer designs but i won't be buying any new SOG's. In my opinion the oversized SOG branding and SOG cutouts on their new knives are garish and unappealing. Totally ruins the aesthetics of the knife. Hopefully they will abandon this tact and come back to their senses soon.

Whats all the cutouts you guys are talking about? I see 20 different Fixed blades on SOG's site (No counting variations like bead blasted VS TiNi) and only One has said Cut outs the Topo Contour. I remember when it came out. Lots of people that handled it at shows said the handle was cool so were the cut outs. Guess it's not for everyone. I never took the knife seriously mainly cause it is small. But looking at the Blade shape tonight, I see it would be a great hunting/skinning knife. Look at that Belly on such a small knife. Wow!! If I didn't like the SOG logo in the handle I'd have a custom Mycarta or wood handle put on for cheap. :)

Now if people are talking about folders, well, I'm not big into folders so I can't comment. Though I like the few I have. To each their own. :) Do I like all SOG's Designs? No, but I'll buy the ones I like cause I like them and not buy the ones I don't. I have Buck, Spyderco, Busse and others. I don't like all of those company's designs but I get the ones I do like and don't knock the ones I don't like.

I dislike Some of the handles on Busse knives. Got rid of one because of how uncomfortable and sharp the handle was. Never had that problem with a SOG that wasn't eassaly fixed. I traded said Busse and got some nice SOGs and a sheath out of it. Was happy with the trade. I hope to one day get another of the same model busse or the upgraded version. If it has the same handle problem, I'll take some sand paper to it and fix the dang sharp edges. :D

Again, like what you like just keep it nice. :)

No go out and use your knives!!!! I spent the afternoon cutting food with mine. What did you do with yours?

Heber

I spent the afternoon cutting food with mine. What did you do with yours?

Heber

Preparing SuperBowl Snacks, eh? ;)

It's very good advice, though. You get a hands-on feel for using the knife, even if it's in the kitchen.

i agree , but i own more like 16 sogs

In my limited experience, I've found SOG quality to be quite good, if not excellent. BUT the whole "cut out" thing takes away from what I felt was one of SOG's stronger points: discretion. When I take out my knife, I don't want someone 20 ft away shouting "Look it's a SOG!" (even if they would).

I had every intent on buying a new Topo Meridian, but the more I've looked at it, I just can't...Just like I won't let the dealer paint "Hammersley Porsche" down the side of my car...

Just like I won't let the dealer paint "Hammersley Porsche" down the side of my car...
:thumbup:

I hope you made him take that obnoxious dealership sticker off, too! :cool: If I'm paying the "advertising fee" there's no reason for me to turn the back of my car into a billboard for his dealership. If people want to know where I bought the car, they can ask me.

Sorry, OT pet peeve.

Maverick4546, why don't you share your issue here, in the forum? SOG reps obviously read the threads and respond.

SOG's branding can be a bit much. Then again, they aren't the only ones who are guilty of it. Anybody remember the Al Mar SERE? Did it really need the chop on the blade and in a giant gold square on the handle? I suspect SOG is trying to create that same kind of immediate brand recognition. The difference is that most people thought the "chop" was incredibly cool no matter where it appeared. The newer SOG logos don't seem to have that same aesthetic appeal, FWIW.

:thumbup:

I hope you made him take that obnoxious dealership sticker off, too! :cool: If I'm paying the "advertising fee" there's no reason for me to turn the back of my car into a billboard for his dealership. If people want to know where I bought the car, they can ask me.

Sorry, OT pet peeve.

You Damn Skippy I did...then they tried to put on one of those "nice" license plate frames with their name on it. Made them take that off, too.....

Sorry, you may resume normal thread discussion at this time.

sog doesnt give a flying fark about customers . their true ELUS are right here on the forums , and they don`t care about a single suggestion we ( used to include me until i realised the truth about sog) post

SIRGALANT

I do read this forum daily and do "give a flying fark" about what you and other say. I may not post on every comment or suggestion made on the forum but it does get read and discussed here in the office. There have been several instances where a suggestion on here has lead to revision of product or changes in future versions.

I know that you do not like our current sheaths and I have heard that from others. We are addressing some of the issues and working to make everyone as happy as we can. We will never make everyone happy with our designs, but we strive to make the majority of people pleased with our products.

If you have specific issues that you want addressed please email me or post them and I will see that they are brought up and addressed.

Chris

bigocean

saw your comments on wanting a SK-5 Tigershark. That is a good idea, unfortunately I do not see it happening any time soon.

As you know the majority of SOG knives are stainless steel. We have found that stainless outsells a carbon steel by a wide margin, mostly because the average customer does not want to take the time to properly care for a carbon steel blade.

Although, next time we are discussing new knifes i will be sure to mention that there is still demand for blades with SK-5.

Chris

:eek: :eek: :eek:
That's a shocker!
No more Sk-5 Tigershark.... arrrh! :(
New models possibly in SK-5 steel... hehehe! :D
Thanks, man! Good to know you're out here, Chris!

I am a huge fan of the Pentagon, for no other reason than that it is a great knife that fits my hand well, has great handle traction, and does everything a self-defense blade should do in a minimalist package. It has always been my regret that I never got one with a leather sheath as they used to be offered (if I rememember correctly), but I did maximize the new-style sheath using an IWB attachment from Blade-Tech:

pentagonredux01.jpg

pentagonredux06.jpg

pentagonredux05.jpg

I removed the upper part of the sheath completely and replaced it with the plastic IWB clip you see there.

All my reviews are honest -- I never soft-pedal a product's defects but I do try to be both constructive and polite when I evaluate a piece of gear. If I love something, I'll say so. If I'm lukewarm, I'll say that, too. There are some reviews that I've killed because a manufacturer sent me something that just didn't work, and couldn't provide an explanation that would allow me to give both sides of the issue; I don't stab people in the back when they come to me for an objective article.

Rarely I will do a very negative review, but usually they're not worth the time and effort.

Great review on the Pentagon, Phil! It's #1 on Google, too!

In that review, you had the earlier SOG kydex sheath, the military style one that actually is used by at least one real-deal soldier in Iraq.

That's a clever piece of work you did modifying the current SOG sheath. It's a creative work-around! Love the way that last picture shows the light glinting off the edge and the point. :D Judging from the pics, the mouth of the current sheath would sit a lot higher than I'm comfortable with, but that's an aspect of torso/ arm length and how a person wears their pants. Different sheaths make a huge difference in how a knife carries.

Compare difference in height of the modified SOG sheath with it in the sheath you commissioned from Robert Humelbaugh. It's the same knife worn by the same guy, at the same belt line, yet there's a substantial difference in how the knife carries.

btw. Don't feel too bad about not snagging a Pentagon back when they came with leather sheaths. If you want one, they turn up on eBay every couple of months and closing prices stay way below the current MSRP.

They have a fitted "snap strap" similar to what you removed from the latest SOG sheath. If you drilled out the rivet securing the strap, the result would be a leather version of the Robert Humelbaugh kydex sheath you already have. Then again, it's a leather sheath. ;)

Back