My review on BAS on Islamic Swordforum

Manoucher; let me put this another way; I'm really glad you are here! But I have nothing to say to an international sword forum...some of the people here are knowledgable..what could I add?
"Cut good. Carry light. Strong lever. Tough tool."

munk

Nice post, Man. I don't have time to get ivolved in other forums but I'm sending a BAS to a British Captain stationed at Bassingbourn Barracks tomorrow. Here's an officer who knows equipment!

I'm curious why you picked the BAS for a sword forum discussion. I like my BAS, and given it's track record with the ghurkas it would be hard to dispute it's effectiveness as a close quarter combat weapon.
Still, there's not much about the BAS I would consider swordlike, it's more just a big camp knife. On the other side of the coin, I doubt many folks would draw their prized katana or pattern welded viking sword to clear brush, chop kindling, or construct temporary shelter, all tasks the BAS excells at. The BAS a sword? Maybe for a Hobbit ;-)

Sarge

I'll agree, Sarge -- a katana, sabre, tarwar, 25 inch Kobra or 30 inch Sirupati might be a little more swordlike but I'm getting the impression that Man might be trying to tell the sword people there's a whole other world out there that's worth looking into.

I ordered three Kukuris from Uncle Bill:
1) 25 Ang Khola
2) 30 Sirupati
3) BAS

On the swordforum, and Islamic swordforum, my area of specialty, we not only discuss swords, but only daggers, such as Khanjar and as well knives, such as Kards. We also talk about the armies and strategic development and forging techniques.

I am very satisfied with my Kukuris and review many products by different sellers, production, custom and antiques ones, all of them in all lengths :)

Regards,

Manoucher

This forum is not about khukuris alone and it looks like Swordforums might be the same -- but I doubt if as broad based as us!!!!

Meant no harm by my curiosity MM, I overlooked the aspect of the BAS's possible use in combination with a sword like weapon. Now the light bulb flickers on and the voices in my head say things like, "parrying dagger", "fighting Florentine style", etc. Besides, guys who carry swords still need a good utility knife now and then ;-)

Sarge

Originally posted by Sylvrfalcn
Meant no harm by my curiosity MM, I overlooked the aspect of the BAS's possible use in combination with a sword like weapon. Now the light bulb flickers on and the voices in my head say things like, "parrying dagger", "fighting Florentine style", etc. Besides, guys who carry swords still need a good utility knife now and then ;-)

Sarge

That thought occured to me as well. Wonder how it'd work...

And *EVERONE NEEDS* a good utility knife, always. Okay, on second thought, not everyone, but I think you get what I mean! :D :p :footinmou

a better combination would be a 45 auto and a ww11 khukri .

CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE

I've always been interested in most weapons but, I just never got into the swords. The longest for me is the 20 inch Siru. That would leave me with the BAS in my right hand and parry with something like a jack handle. For my money the BAS is just too good at any task I have asked of it to do to be religated to a mere parrying tool. I suppose that no longer than I have really been handleing the Khuks, my love of them may seem rediculous to some of you young guys. I just plain feel that an HI khuk need take a back seat to no other weapon any time or any place. If I find a need for a sword like weapon I would consider something like a 30" Kobra or Siru. My twenty inch Sirupati is all the sword that I need for right now. It has become a snake killer also. Two in one day. The heavy rains seem to be running them out of their low areas to higher ground. Besides that I find that there is some kind of neighborhood going in a little over a Mile down the hwy from where I live.
That will put them on the move as quick as the water.
If you like swords it is fine with me. I know that I can do more of a variety of thing with the Khuk, any of them.:) ;) :p

That's why many folk used tools that doubled as weapons in the first place. An axe is a good weapon and a useable tool. A knife is the same. A Khuk is a knife and an axe in one!

Keith

I don't know much about short swords. how much would the average short sword have weighed--say a Roman Gladius? Length?
what about the average Medievel battle swords one or two handed? I sometimes find it hard to believe when I read about Scottish Claymores that are supposed to be historically accurate that weigh in at 9+ lbs! Am I that much weaker than my ancestors?! Maybe so. I guess cushy life in modern times with every convenience doesn't make for the kind of strength one would get from hard work from birth, but
wouldn't our superior nutrition knowledge compensate by making us bigger and stronger? I suspect modern medicine has done irreparable harm to the gene pool in that people with genetic defects are allowed to live longer lives and reproduce etc.. Of course I wouldn't deprive any one of that medicine in some Hitler like quest for a master race--just thinking out loud.0

Seems like the key to handling any of these one handed weapons with agility is as much a matter of forearm/wrist strength as dexterity.

What do you guys think?

(hope they aren't rhetorical questions)
"average short sword have weighed"-- About 1-3 lbs, depending on the period. A gladius weighed in around the 1-5 to 2lb range, and may have been 20-28 inches in length.
A heavy single edged chopping short sword known as a falchion might weigh as much as 3 lbs and be 20-30 inches. I would class any khuk over 18 inches as a falchion. [[In the bronze age, all chopping weapons like the khopsh (the ancient predecessor of the Khukuri) Were short and heavy, for close combat. for long range the spear was the master.]

"average Medievel battle swords one or two handed"--One handers are typically 30-40 inches in length overall, with a weight roughly 2-3 lbs. Hand-and-a-half (bastard) swords were about 40-48 inches OA, with a weight aroud 3-4 lbs. Two handers of all types ranged about 48-72 inches overall, and weighed ideally in the 6-7 lb range. Any sword bigger or heavier was most likely a 'bearing sword' the big bro of all parade swords.

"Scottish Claymores...historically accurate...9+ lbs!"--If it ain't scottish its crap! Seriously, tho. Who would wanna swing something that heavy around? see my coment on bearing swords above. 9lbs is unrealistic. They could've slimmed punds off that one with a distal taper, but most likely it was made by stock removal, not forging. Been readin' Museum Replicas catalogue again Rob??

"Am I that much weaker than my ancestors?!" You, maybe (heeeh!) Naw, just sounds cooler to sell someone a 7pound Conan sword than a really slim, 'weaponized' sword.
For instance, certain websites selling "Viking" swords say that they were big crushing barbarian swords. The site sells 6-7pound viking swords (yeow!). The replica I have was hand-made to the specs of an actual sword from the period, dredged from the Thames. It is only 34 inches long, and weighs only 1Kg (2.2 lbs)! Which one do you wanna swing multiple times if your job is to hack stuff with this tool? The answer was obvious to our ancestors.

"Seems like the key to handling any of these one handed weapons with agility is as much a matter of forearm/wrist strength as dexterity."
>>Agility is always a key factor in such contests. Fighting in armor with sword and shield means running in armor, sword and shield. Very Areobic. Don't try it if you have bad knees.
You also learn how to run backwards as fast as forwards. This style of fight is not static, as shown in movies. you gotta keep working your angles, get your opponent off of his line of the attack, while getting him in your line. It's very much a dance of ranges, angles, in, out, thru...

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

NOTE: Discussion of sword weights and lengths is assumed to be European. Some Asian weapons may be lighter or heavier.

Nope none were rhetorical, just dumb enough to seem so:eek: :D

Thanks very much for the great info!:) Yeah, I probably did read that(9lb) from some "replica" site or magazine:D

My brother has a very nice hand and a half by Angus Trim that is a replica of a scottish sword IIRC. Very thin and strong blade probably about 2.5-3 lbs and fairly long. He tested it by cutting into 2" maple and it sailed right on thru with no dulling! Seems to be a high quality blade.

Yep, those AT swords are quickly gaining reknown as good user quality swords for a good price. The speca are to the period for that sword.
I have a hand/half that runs 43" and 3.5lbs. I cut some wooden shields with it, inclding a a shield w/tempered strip of metal that ran around the edge. Good stuff!

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

Back