My Second Knife - a skinner

This is a modified version of a design I found in the Summer 2002 A.G. Russell catalog. They give credit to Larry Harley for its design.

It is of O-1 steel. The pins and lanyard tube are nickel silver. The scales are African Paduak with 1/16 inch black liners. The blade, including ricasso, is 4 1/8 inches. Overall knife is 8 7/8 inches. This is the reason I got into this knife making stuff. I wanted a skinning knife but didn't want to pay the price for the ones I liked. Little did I know!!!

Four Pictures are here: http://riflestocks.tripod.com/pics1.html

Again, I wish to thank all those on this forum who have helped me so much.

Roger

Nice Knife! cool contoured handle. Now that you have met your goal are you going to quit?

Outstanding - you're on a roll! now you have to choose between doing a field test or making another knife....I like that handle a lot, too.

I bet the next one comes out of that new oven in stainless.

Bob

Holy Crap Batman!
I promise that I havent seen the design before in print or otherwise, but when I saw this knife I made Deb stop what she was doing to come and look after i ran to the den to pick up one that I have in progress. The only differance between what you have done is the handle material and that I have made mine a double grind unsharpened.
That is Freaky. I'm guessing that form fits function and everything that can be found or thought of will be a common thing eventually.
I dont know . Maybe I subconsiously had it in my mind and had seen it before. But weird you guys. Damn I wish I had a camera or scanner.
Mark

Roger you got it going! Very nice knife and looks like great workmanship. I too like the contoured handle.

Now, let me suggest you taper the next tang. That'll really make you feel good, and it's so satisfying you'll never look back. Not only does it look cool it really improves the balance of the knife.

Nice knife, I like the heavy liners too.

Dave

Nice work very good job on the handle,I love the look of Larry Harleys work
that is my kind of knife.

Bruce of Walla Walla: Can't quit now. Got too much money out there for just two knives. Lots more to make.

Bob: I may well try the ATS-34 next. First I need to do some HT testing on some samples. No use grinding it til I know I can treat it. I have some O-1, D2, and ATS-34. The D2 I should probably wait on until I get more experience grinding since its touchy about being machined. I am leaning toward the ATS for the next blade though.

Indian George: Nice bike. The wood is African Paduak. I ordered Purple Heart but they sent me Paduak instead. I used it for this knife because I didn't want to use something I really liked for just my second knife attempt. After seeing its real beauty and ease to work I like it a lot. I think it would be great for kitchen knives (just the way it looks) if properly stabilized or sealed. At first glance it reminds you very much of rose wood and its dust could be mistaken for rose wood. It is not hard to work, as rose wood is, and the African Paduak has dark grain streaks running through it (very nice, I think). According to my sample, the first of this wood I have worked, the grain is large and open. I found no hard to fill pin hole grain but the wood seems rather porous with elongated grain structure. Seemingly easy to seal but rather tedious to fill.

Bruce of Booneville: I am going back to drop point hunters for a while. I like drop points and want to make two more before moving on.

Mark: Because you do great work, the fact is I have been sitting outside your window for months now spying on your knife designs.

Dave: As you suggest, I will taper my next tang. I presume the taper moves toward the back end of tang(?).

Nathan: I don't know of Larry Harley except that A.G. Russell gives him credit for the design. As soon as I saw it I liked it better than any other skinner I had seen. He deserves credit for my trying to copy his design.

RL

larry harley chimes in around here once and in a while. i myself dont really care for tapered tangs. you can get the same balance by drilling holes, and it doesnt limit how you round out the butt end of the handel.

Thanks for that. Fact is I have been thinking of tapering one since I have seen comments about that on the forum. Might as well give it a go. I have been milling steel from my tangs to relieve weight. It seems to also add extra surface area for the bonding epoxies. I take your advise seriously.

Honesty is the best of policies and since you say Mr. Harley frequents this site I am happy I have advertized his due credit.

RL

Back