My Ultimate Camp Knife (M.U.C.K.) - in Cocobolo and Leather

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Let me know what you think!

MUCKCocoboloLeather011013-1.jpg

MUCKCocoboloLeather011013-2.jpg

MUCKCocoboloLeather011013-3.jpg

I am really digging the grain in this one!
Hope the new owner loves it as much as I do. :D

http://kosterknives.com/knives/MUCK

Dan

I should add this is a rare beauty - I've only done a few MUCKs in hardwoods. Mostly because the handle is a pain in the rear to finish out with all the curves. But this one turned out great!

Frame it. Place it next to last years family christmas photo.

Seriously. MUCKs are eye catching in general, but with that wood, it's fab.

By the way, I'm bias. I have a MUCK on order. NICE!

Thanks for the kind words, guys. These are a bit tougher to make but quite rewarding when finished!

I agree - I need to do more of these in Cocobolo and Ironwood!

Dan

That is a beauty! Both my MUCK and Bushcraft are in Ironwood, and I catch myself just staring at them on a daily basis.

By the way, Dan, what is the coating you put on the blade? Just curious...

I just sandblast it and rub it with a scotchbrite pad. If you get a scratch on it, it's easy to rub it out - just get a scotchbrite pad. ;)

Ironwood has a mystical, mesmerizing effect...doesn't it?!?!?

Dan

There are blade makers and there are blade artisans. What you do with a piece of steel, balance, form, use, appearance. quality, is art. Usable but art just the same.

Let me know what you think!

MUCKCocoboloLeather011013-1.jpg

MUCKCocoboloLeather011013-2.jpg

MUCKCocoboloLeather011013-3.jpg

I am really digging the grain in this one!
Hope the new owner loves it as much as I do. :D

http://kosterknives.com/knives/MUCK

Dan

I do not know if I am the pleased new owner of that exact knife, but I did just receive its twin in the mail. It was purchased by my brother and sent to me as a Christmas-Birthday present. As a former chef and avid straight-razor user, I know what a good knife is, and what criteria it takes to qualify. This, in my opinion, is going to be one of the greats. The cocobolo although smooth, is still "tacky" enough that it always feels secure in my grip, and even though the knife is much lighter that it appears, it is still weighty enough for work. Most impressive, was the fact that the knife arrived appropriately sharpened. It arrived sharp enough to shave with. Literally.
So, thank you, and I look forward to many years of fine use out of this knife.

Happy Birthday and Congrats!

Thanks for the kind words. It's a pleasure for me and I'm happy to see it go to a great home.

I use BriWax for all natural material handles and buff it by hand. Easy to reapply this way and like you said - retains some grip.

Enjoy!!

Dan

Back