My Urban Survival Pack: improvement suggestions sought!

Ok, for the last 3 nights, after my wife and daughter have gone to sleep, I've been putting together my Urban Survival Pack (USP) to stow at my office until needed.

I work in downtown San Francisco, and live 26 mi. south in the suburbs. I drive in or take the train 5 days/week.

The parameters of my USP were based on an urban disaster scenario lasting 48-72 hrs. (i.e. earthquake, terrorist-bombing attack), in anticipation of a disturbance in transportation arteries (closed road, rail, etc.) and civil services.

I am looking for suggestions on what may be missing, or what may help in making my pack lighter/smaller.

Listed below is all contained in a medium ALICE pack, and is in addition to what is always on me (watch, wallet, Emerson CQC-7A):

Communications:
  • AM/FM radio
  • Cell phone & extra batteries
  • HAM HT, Yaesu VX-5R & extra batteries
Clothing (in addition to what I wear to the office):
  • Cold Layer, Extra Boots & Socks
Defensive:
  • to be determined
First Aid:
  • Dayhiker Kit & Extra Ibuprofen
Hygiene:
  • Toiletries
  • Towlettes, Moist
Misc:
  • Batteries, Extra D-cell & AA-cells
  • Candle, emergency
  • Compass
  • Duct Tape, 1 roll
  • Lighter, butane
  • Lightstick, 8-hr Cyalume
  • Matches, waterproof
  • Money, $500-1000 cash in small denominations
  • Paracord 550, 100ft.
  • Pen & Spiral-bound Notepad
  • Plastic Bag, Warps 3mm (55 gal.)
Respiratory Protection:
  • Gas Mask, MSA Advantage 1000 + extra canister
Shelter:
  • Poncho, USMC
Sustenance:
  • Cliff Bars & MRE's
  • Water
  • (2) 16.9oz Crystal Geyser
  • (1) Canteen, 1 quart
  • Water Filter, Safewater G2
Tools:
  • Knife (& Sharpener), Becker Companion (super-thick blade which doubles as a good prybar)
  • Flashlight (2D)
  • Multi-tool, Leatherman Wave
Any all comments/suggestions appreciated.

Ron (guncollector) - KG6AHU

Great little radio. I keep mine toped-off using a solar panel when I'm going to be in the bush for a while. I assume that you've seen the mods for it?

The ADMS-1E programming software makes it VERY easy to doe the programming, memory page sorting etc so that you can punch-in your local public safety organizations, AM & FM stations and of course international shortwave. This is handy to keep an ear on what's going on. MUCH easier than manual programming via the keyboard.

>RadioRay ..._ ._
N0EKU

What I would add:
hand towel, bandana, poncho liner, mini-mag instead of a 2-D cell flashlite, I have also used a keyring LED, very lightweight and a good close floodlight (mine is a Photon II from REI-COOP), space pen that will write on anything, Mainstay food bars because they do not degrade with heat like an MRE or other bars, they taste like a lemon cookie, unless you already have a Wave multitool I would use an average SAK and full size pliers. A hiking stick can also serve you well, for just walking or a quick shelter pole.
Good Luck, and remember free advice is worth what you paid for it.

Tom

Preparing for another attack occurring while I'm in a building or on a subway train in a tunnel, these are the stuffs I can probably fit in my backpack, carry with me everyday until threat is over, and will immediately need most;

1. Respiratory protection - bandana or scarf and ideally gas mask.
2. flashlights and 2nd set of batteries
3. knife
4. cellfone
5. whistle
6. small battery operated am/fm radio
7. bottled water
8. chocolate candies and cookies

Respiratory protection against smoke, dust, and other poisonous fumes, that MSA Advantage 1000 + extra canister is ideal because it also protects the eyes from smoke and fumes.

Small waterproof lightweight bright with moderately long burntime flashlights (UKE4AA) to initially assess my location and find my way out of collapse building or the tunnel and a small long burning LED flashlight as backup to the primary flashlight in case I'm still trapped and primary lights bulb is broken from shock (choices: PLW-3, Lightwave2000, CMG-Infinity).

Knife as a tool to cut away small obstructions or to cut lines for leash.

Cellphone, a loud whistle, or a small am/fm radio to call rescuers attention to my location.

Bottled water, chocolate candies, and cookies for sustenance while still trapped.

If it happens while I'm on the street within or near the vicinity of the attack then respiratory protection is immediately needed.

Gatekeeper-

Rope, great idea. Can't believe I overlooked that one, even though I only work on the 6th floor.

Begs the questions, what kind of rope? I work next to The North Face, but that stuff's expensive! How about surplus military rope? Any climbers out there who can chime in with suggestions?

Ron (guncolletor)

GUNCOLLECTOR
Sorry..no idea about rope types. Have you thought about a police scanner with weather access? These little things are quite entertaining regardless.
The Gatekeeper

One good USP would be the Camelbak HAWG(Holds Alot of Water and Gear). Like the one Ron used in Vol-11. Just the right size for home or office!!!

About that Yaesu VX-5R radio........ I'm not very radio knowledgeable, but it looks VERY cool!!!!! For those of us without $400.00 to spill on a radio, would the Radio Shack AM/FM/WX/SW Self-Powered Portable Radio (12-803) work well enough?

Radio Shack Hand Crank Radio

It even has a hand crank so you don’t have to rely on batteries. I like this feature a lot. Batteries run out, and they’re a considerable investment in weight. Losing as many batteries as possible is high on my list.

Make that hat a hard hat.Did you see all the debris raining down.I personally would have a forced entry bar such as a haligan bar if I worked in a highrise.There kind of big and heavy to lug around so it would stay in the office,although smaller models are made the trade off is they are less effective.

For all kinds of forced entry tools to get you out though any door locked,stuck,or jammed go to www.firemarktools.com

Buzz & Gate:

The VX-5R is an incredible little 2-way HAM radio (or "HT" as we call'em). It's a tri-band HAM radio (6m/2m/70cm), as well as able to received AM/FM/VHF, NOAA (weather), and FRS/GMRS frequencies. FYI, street price is about $299.00 at hamradio.com.

Big-Target:

How much does the HAWG hold? As much as a medium ALICE-pack (which I'm guessing holds about 2200 cu. in.)?

LH:

Good call on the hard hat, but it sure is bulky isn't it? You think maybe just a cycling helmet would work?

Ron (guncollector)

Originally posted by 2d_edge
1. Respiratory protection - bandana or scarf and ideally gas mask.
Respiratory protection against smoke, dust, and other poisonous fumes, that MSA Advantage 1000 + extra canister is ideal because it also protects the eyes from smoke and fumes.

I have got one of these: http://www.evac-u8.com/eng/

Sincerely

Cato

Based on the lead on this thread about the Radio Shack handcrank/battery powered radio, I bought one. They are a brand new item and not in all stores yet. I may write-up a full review, but in short let me tell you what I found about this radio.

I am a radio-holic in a BIG way. My particular interest in radio is for "just-n-case" events where information is essential but the regular modes are interrupted. This can be in events like the present emergency in the USA, severe weather or simply that I like to keep tabs on the world while I am on long wilderness trips.

So, where does that put the Radio Shack, hand-crank radio? I'm comparing this to my communications grade Ham radios and my Grundig 800. The little Hand-crank radio was out of the box as soon as I was out of the store. I hooked-up the internal NiCad battery pack as the instructions indicated and cranked the handle for 90 seconds. By the time I got to my vehicle I was deploying the telescopic antenna and set the radio for the 16 meter band: short-wave. This is the middle of the day and the WORST time to listen to short-wave. Propogation will be MUCH better in a few hours and through out the night. Within 5 minutes I listend to : Canada, Voice of America, Germany, BBC/London.... and the list goes on. Audio was good, LOUD enough for campmates to listen to.

Next I switched to the weather band to see how well it worked. It was GOOD! I received my local NOAA weather transmissions loud & clear.

So - that is the mini-review. Remember - I'm comparing this with some of the best radio gear in the world. Did I think it's worth the price ? ($60.00 or so) Wellllll Yeaaaah - it's going into my "number two" bag, just-n-case... ;)

I'm a Ham radio operator, and learned long ago the I should have two types of radio gear handy:

1. For serious communication which ONLY trained communicators are allowed to touch.

2. General listening, news & entertainment radios (it can get boring sitting out a storm, riot or visit for the mother-in-law...) This is so that people can tune around - maybe pick-up some interesting intel and yet should they frag the 'news & entertainment' radio, I'm not out of communication. Think about it.

>RadioRay ..._ ._

>>>===> Here's a link to my full review on the Hoodlum's Forum:

http://pub1.ezboard.com/fhoodlumswelcometothehoodlums.showMessage?topicID=2258.topic&index=2

Plenty of good items already posted, including the handgun with which I concur.

Cash
Carrying $1,000 in cash seems a bit risky. IMHO up to about $200 should be enough for most situations. If I understand your motivation correctly, the idea is to have already with you the necessities for surviving a few days, not anticipating buying them at escalated prices after the doo-doo hits the fan.

Water
For water, look at keeping about 6 or 8 of the 2-liter bottles at the office and travel with about 4 of the 1-liter bottles in your pack. In emergencies you'll need extra for medical and sanitation requirements. Imagine how valuable a water-soaked bandana would have been in NYC amid the concrete dust from the Trade Center collapse. To supplement your water, I'd recommend about 10 of the food/energy bars of your choice for three days. Hard candy can be good for morale. I also like Fig Newtons as semi-indestructo cookies because you can still eat the misshapen lumps if they get squashed.

Shelter and a whole lot more
An essential suvival item IMHO in the car or pack is a heavy-duty mylar Sportsman Space Blanket. They only cost $9.99 at Cabela's in either red (if you want to be seen) or OD green (if you want to hide). http://www.cabelas.com/texis/script.../CabFALL1998/CabFALL1998/XA916L?format=search

There are two weights of Space Blankets. There are heavy ones (Sportsman model) with a reinforcing scrim of threads sandwiched between the reflective mylar side and the colored side, which are the ones I recommend. These have a cloth tape reinforced edge and grommets in the corners. The other version (Emergency model) is a really lightweight, pretty insubstantial, non-reinforced reflective mylar that tears more easily. The heavier ones can be used for shelter against rain or sun, a sleeping cover, lining a solar still, wrapping hypothermic victims, signalling rescue craft, gathering water, rigging an improvised rucksack, etc. The lighter ones will fit in a few cubic inches (very compact) and do keep you dry & warmer than just plain plastic sheeting will. But I advocate the lighter weight ones only where space is the only limiting criterion. They are a "use it once & throw it away" item. For general usage and anywhere that sturdiness is an issue (like in multi-day survival scenarios) I definitely recommend the heavier grade blankets. And $10 is cheap for a multi-use item.

Knife
IIRC the Becker knife has an exposed tang. You may want to consider a knife with a tang enclosed in a rubber handle, in case you need to cut potentially live wires to evacuate from a collapsed building. That's a tip from a firemen I read somewhere. There are some other "sharpened prybar" knives that have kraton/rubber handles to offer some insulation from electrical shock. The ones that come to my mind are (in order of ascending price):
  • some of the Ontario blades
  • Cold Steel SRK or Recon Tanto
  • Busse Basic 5 or preferably Basic 7
  • Mad Dog knives
My overall favorite for comfort in my hands is a Busse Basic 7 or 9. YMMV. The thing is a beast. Sorta like your Becker. ;)

Rappelling Down A Rope To Escape
You are on the sixth floor, so it's about 60-80 feet off the ground. You may want to consider whether a rope or rappelling is really needed. Yes, you can die falling 60-80 feet. But you can probably evac the six floors down in under 4 minutes, even at a walk. Practice evacuating your building a few times and see how long it takes you.

Consider rappel evacuations ONLY if you have experience rappelling already and know what you are doing! PERIOD!! The consequences for getting it wrong can be fatal.

The anchor point/object is critical! If it breaks or lets loose, you're putting in air time for which you do NOT get frequent flyer miles. Read that lame joke as "You Will Fall!!"

You can rap down either static (non-stretch caving) rope or dynamic (semi-stretchy climbing) rope. The two types of ropes are laid (twisted) and kernmantle (strands inside a woven sheath). I'd say nine-millimeter diameter kernmantle rope is the minimum I'd consider. Eleven-millimeter kernmantle rope would be better & more comfortable. Use only rope made explicitly for either rappelling or climbing!!

Remember, you need a rope twice as long as the distance you want to rappel. While you can rap down a single rope, it pretty much requires a harness, which you won't have time to put on in an emergency evac scenario.

Miscellaneous Items
-- sturdy, comfortable shoes to walk the miles home. Something with soles able to withstand walking over glass and other grating substances is the order of the day. Due to possible uneveness of the terrain, ankle support may also be important. IMHO hiking boots are about right, if their viable in your work environment.
-- Two or more bandanas for their overall utility.
-- Hat, whether it's a boonie, Tilley, Pakhat, Seattle Sombrero, cowboy hat, baseball cap, whatever.
-- Not sure if anyone mentioned a whistle. You can blow a whistle long after you'd have yelled/screamed yourself hoarse when you want to be found. IIRC higher frequency sound (whistle shriek) travels further (more efficiently maybe?) through air than lower frequency sound (yelling/screaming). I prefer plastic whistles because metal ones can be cold on the lips. Fox 40 whistles usually get good reviews.
-- A few Inova Mini-LED flashlights in pack/pockets/beltclip would definitely be in order IMHO. One for the office desk drawer as well. These little Inova lights are a bit larger than a US quarter-dollar coin and run approximately 72 hours on a pair of CR216 lithium coin batteries. 1SKS has them for less than $10 per unit, which is cheap for waterproof long-term light. An alternative would be whatever other waterproof LED light you can find.
-- 550 paracord (typically around $5 per 100'). I'd say two or three hanks of 50' each should about do it.
-- Toilet paper or Kleenex or paper napkins in double zip-lock bags, preferably the heavier freezer weight gallon size to use for other purposes as well.
-- Antibiotic cream & bandaids/bandages, anti-diarrhea pills/liquid, sunscreen & sunglasses, EMT scissors, tweezers.
-- A sturdy folder knife to ALWAYS live in your pocket along with a SAK too

(edited to removed dead link)

No one mentioned a MAP that I recall in the thread. I always try to have a local map and a broader region-wide hwy. map with me.

I'm not quite sure I get where this equipment will be stored. I use a medium ALICE pack from time to time. Fully loaded, they are pretty big. Are you actually going to leave all this stuff at work every night? Are you intending to carry it with you back and forth every day? Even when you are taking mass transit?

Matthew R-

Good call on the Maps, though I tend to know my way around SF and the Peninsula cities quite well.

My USP will be stowed at the office and remain there in my cubicle. Carrying everyday would grow quite cumbersome after about Day 1.

But your question begs the corresponding question, "what should I carry with me ALL THE TIME?"

Immmediately things that come to mind: folding knife, multi-tool, money, cell phone, Photon II/III-type LED light, some rations & water...

Ron (guncollector)

Right... And since you can easily be trapped going <i>to</i> or <i>from</i> work as well as <i>at</i> work, the only thing extra I'd leave at work would be some entry tools, in this case, of course, for exit purposes. Sure a little extra food and/or water wouldn't hurt either, but much of the stuff you list is way over-kill for what you might have to do to wait out a 72 hour transportation shut down. IMHO of course. YMMV

MR wrote:
Sure a little extra food and/or water wouldn't hurt either, but much of the stuff you list is way over-kill for what you might have to do to wait out a 72 hour transportation shut down. IMHO of course. YMMV

You're probably right. In fact, I hope to God you're right.

However, the way I look at it, in the event of a "small-scale urban disaster" (if there can be such a thing), carrying for 72 hrs. what may turn out to be "deadweight" is a very small price to pay for being prepared for more serious eventualities.

Plus, I'm willing to wager that many of your friends/co-workers will have nothing at all in terms of supplies--so any extra "stuff" you have will buy a huge amount of goodwill.

Ron (guncollector)

Back