My Wohlwend PSK, oh so tasty.

BRL

It's funny... right up to the point a few weeks ago that I realized I was in the middle of the badlands with no supplies on me, I had always thought PSKs were kind of a dumb idea. Now it's a different story. Knife, firestarters, water purifiers, etc are all things that are good to have always, for that one time where you get away from your pack. As part of that, I was eyeing a Fletcher PSK but then Mark put a batch up for a really great price and I jumped. I'm damn glad I did.

2012-04-23_20-15-52_636.jpg

2012-04-23_20-16-07_467.jpg

Here's a shot of it with it's bigger brother, my #1 favorite knife... a necker also by Mark.
2012-04-23_20-25-18_209.jpg

For fun here's a GEC Bullnose for comparison.
2012-04-23_20-24-37_676.jpg

And what the hell, why not a side by side with a Candiru and an Izula.
2012-04-23_20-23-38_131.jpg

At first I was a little miffed at Mark for advertising this as a tin knife when it obviously doesn't fit in a tin worth a damn.
2012-04-23_20-17-33_107.jpg

Then I figured it out :D
2012-04-23_20-17-48_481.jpg

Here are some in-hand shots. Remember I have a really big paw.
2012-04-23_20-16-23_656.jpg

2012-04-23_20-16-41_757.jpg

For such a tiny thing it feels real fine. Only once you hold it do you see that the knife's greatest strength can also be a weakness. Mark's design is awesome, how the long edge provides you maximum cutting surface on such a minuscule tool. The drawback is you get a razor sharp tip in your index finger if it's big enough. So I'm contemplating either knocking the tip off, or just remembering to use my index finger tip when grasping the knife.
2012-04-23_20-17-10_862.jpg

Mark has been selling these either satin finished or with forge scale. I went for satin and since the sanding left an edge around the entire knife perimeter, I'll probably knock that down a bit. Also contemplating sliding some narrow inner tube over the handle like I did on my Izula above, as I feel that gives a knife like this excellent grip.

I did some cutting with it and the feathers it leaves behind are wafer-thin. The grind is good because you get a wicked edge but it still maximizes blade strength through retaining as much thickness as possible.

All in all I am ecstatic at yet another excellent design, built well, by Mark. It's my third; it's not my last!

2012-04-23_20-29-20_87.jpg

ya know, Ive had mine for a week or 2...and have yet to even try it in a tin LOL

I hung it around my neck the day I got it, and it's been there ever since unless Im in the shower or in bed. I actually forgot I had it on last night and slept with it LOL

It's like a necklace, with a sharp edge!

Ive been wanting one of those for a while. although id prefer a slightly larger knife. does it preform for its size? Also, That GEC bullnose is awesome.... I want one so bad. Im not sure what i like so much about it. I mean its just a regular sodbuster design, but its just awesome... and the 01 steel. goodness i need one of those too!

For such a tiny thing it feels real fine. Only once you hold it do you see that the knife's greatest strength can also be a weakness. Mark's design is awesome, how the long edge provides you maximum cutting surface on such a minuscule tool.

Cough,cough.........Who's design !;)

They are awesome little knives, I've used mine for everything from making traps, cutting up fish to prepping fire tinder.

P7060002.jpg

P7240007.jpg

I'm really liking mine too. Here's a pic of my primitive finish model with its big brother the EDC. I've been carrying the tin knife in my left front pocket since it arrived. I can say without hesitation that it gets used almost daily for a multitude of tasks. The EDC is also a great little package that carries very well on my belt and feels great in the hand.
I would like to pick up another tin knife in kydex for neck carry.

Brian
e4bcf5cd.jpg

Heh heh, just for the offical record, this knife WAS Pit's idea. Harpoon themed tin knife :)

Back