My ZT 0560 Review

I picked up a unmarked Blem ZT 0560 from Thomas at the warehouse sale yesterday and have not been able to put it down since! After spending some time to optimize it to my preferences, I have a good first review to share.

First impressions:

This thing is HUGE and built like a TANK!!! I had originally snatched up the last 0551, but Thomas was able to find the 0560 (which I had really wanted) I didnt realize there was such a big difference. They look very similar in pictures with the notable exception of a flipper on the 0551, however, the true size difference really comes out in a real life comparison.

The first thing I did when I left the sale was stick this beast in my pocket to see how it carried. Walking all through the grocery store I found myself constantly grabbing my own rear to make sure it was still there. Even for its size, this knife is exceptionally comfortable to carry!

Initial uses:

Very hard to open with thumb stud in right hand. Also very hard to disengage the framelock with the right hand. In the left hand however, the knife functions much easier. I believe this to be caused by the detent ball and the direction of force on the blade away from the dentent ball in the left hand vs. towards the detent in the right hand. I am also able to get a better thumb grip on the lockbar with the left thumb.

So, now I get to disassemble the knife and figure out how to make it work better!

KVT Ball Bearing Pivot Assembly:

Very nice set-up! The pivot action is very smooth and quick! I believe it could be improved on by re-designing the bearings to use more balls at a smaller size. My theory being that it would distribute the weight and forces at play more evenly. I also found some high temp bearing grease made the action smoother and quieter.

Titanium Framelock:

This set-up is absolutely rock solid! It is my answer to needing a folder (legal to carry) with the reliability and strength of a fixed blade (some grey areas in legal carry) I spent some time working the lockbar and seemed to remove some of the siffness. It has a tendency to stick if any pressure is applied in closing the blade before the bar is fully disengaged. I tried the graphite and sharpie tricks mentioned in other threads but did not seem to notice an improvement. One thing I did notice which was hindering unlocking with the right thumb was the G-10 handle scale. In the pic posted below you can see where the scale hangs over the liner, preventing the right thumb from getting a good angle on the lockbar. The overhang was much worse than the picture shows because I had already sanded that area down. That made all the difference in the world! The lockbar is still rather stiff, but should improve with time and use. I can easily unlock with either hand now!

photo-1.jpg

To sum it up, I am very blessed to have been able to pick one of these bad boys up at the warehouse sale. Thomas and the whole Kershaw staff are a class act and really go out of their way to take care of their customers! I took out all my other knives and added an extra coat of oil cause I have a feeling they will be staying in the drawer for quite a long time now!

photo.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

nice score; I have had the 0561 for a few months and love it--no issues at all. Did you (or anyone else) happen to see a black/ dark pocket deep-carry pocket clip for these bad boys. The ss one works just fine, but it is a bit conspicuous... again, congrats on a great knife.

Very hard to open with thumb stud in right hand.

Check out what Mr. T said about that, Mr. Nice: Link: "I suppose I need to explain the detent portion of the 0560, and our reasoning behind the set up. After some internal conversation yesterday, we feel we’ve brought forth confusion with this knife. By utilizing the studs as the blade stop, we’re enticing folks to use the studs as a way of opening the knife. The set up (heavy detent) can make the studs difficult if not impossible (for some) to deploy the blade. Inexperience hands will additionally perplex the situation. In retrospect, we should have left the studs off, done up an internal stop pin, and made the 0560 a no doubt flipper…our bad on that one. For those of you that can utilize both the flipper and the studs effectively…we’re happy you’ve found that balance. From a production build perspective it is near impossible for us to repeatedly dial in a 0560 that balances a perfect detent set up to accommodate for both flipping and thumb stud deployment."

I would go head over heels if they redesigned the 0560 with an internal stop pin and got rid of the external blade stops. I think knives without studs look so much cleaner.

Thanks for the tip about the black scale mod.

Here's my contribution to make the ZT the perfect EDC for me - wave mod! :D

ZT 0560 Waved (3).jpg

Try it, you like it. Works better than any other waved knife I have, much smaller draw motion required and if not waved still has the flipper function if needed. Best of both worlds.

Update about the sticky lockbar. I tried several lubricants on the locking face to see which one helped the best. Rem oil, Break free, chain lube, Turtle wax, Synthetic polymer wax, teflon spray, graphite pencil, sharpie etc... What I found worked best (of all the things in my garage) was spark plug anti-seize! The grey/silver stuff. We'll see how it works long term.

Update about the sticky lockbar. I tried several lubricants on the locking face to see which one helped the best. Rem oil, Break free, chain lube, Turtle wax, Synthetic polymer wax, teflon spray, graphite pencil, sharpie etc... What I found worked best (of all the things in my garage) was spark plug anti-seize! The grey/silver stuff. We'll see how it works long term.

I have worked with anti-seize a fair amount while rebuilding primary heaters on urethane systems dispense equipment, and I could imagine that it would probably work quite well; just don't get it on your clothes or hands, because it tends to travel horribly (you will wind up finding it in places that you never thought you touched)!

Thanks for the tip about the black scale mod.

Here's my contribution to make the ZT the perfect EDC for me - wave mod! :D

View attachment 316120

Try it, you like it. Works better than any other waved knife I have, much smaller draw motion required and if not waved still has the flipper function if needed. Best of both worlds.

How did you do that?! With a wave mod, this is the PERFECT large EDC in my opinion.

Great review, thanks Nicegy525!
A 0560 is next on my list.

PapaTango52, that's a pretty awesome mod.. I was thinking of doing that to a blem I have.. but I really don't trust my own personal precision haha..

Back