Mycelium to meet ya!

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hi fellow humans- I do believe this is my first thread in this forum, and I haven't started watching this forum til this very minute. But I gotta tell ya; I've become super excited by mushrooms, fungus and all that kind of mycelia lately. Especially the eating type! (definitely not the eating then dying type, not to say they aren't also cool)

Anyhoo, I get out into the forest generally once a day and either carve out some trails here and there or hunt for elusive pine mushrooms and other delicious options when they're available. I live in the Pacific Northwest region of N. America, for context.

Really, I just want to share photos of mushrooms I find with people who might appreciate them, and it struck me that you lot might be those people. If you like your mushrooms and have knowledge to share, I really hope this thread makes you feel welcome to contribute. So, please, feel free!

Today's find; winter chanterelles and fall oysters/mitsutake
lNZiJww.jpg

aziwVqs.jpg

so I'm no expert chef or mycologist, but the great thing is I don't have to be...so easy to learn things these days, just a quick trip through youtube land
this is one of the best tasting things ever
q4B9UT4.jpg

found some neat stuff yesterday, pretty sure none of these are edible. Ain't gonna find out lol
coKzNtu.jpg

entXrQw.jpg

Vh9eOKb.jpg

4RbwGeP.jpg

6SpKfXw.jpg

nUdORLz.jpg

IzofURt.jpg

hlGCuVW.jpg
The yellow jelly fungus looks like witches butter, and the ones at the bottom look like turkey tails. Both are supposed to have medicinal properties.

One of the new species I stumbled on this year was ringless honey mushrooms. The first patch I found was old, wormy, and I wasn't sure what they were. The next patch I found was in the woods out back.

Too many lookalikes so took a spore print.

I'm pretty excited about a finding a new edible so I look for more.

Turns out ringless honeys aren't so much a walking in the woods find as they are a driving down the road find. Looking in yards around dead or dying trees they are everywhere. It got to the point where I could spot them out of the corner of my eye. Stop ask permission "oh yea take 'em, there's a bunch more out back"
I quit after I dehydrated 15 pounds or so, still couldn't stop seeing them.

Angel wing mushrooms. Some sources say delicious, some say deadly...i didn't read anything about them being deadly before I ate these.

Still here, and they were delicious with no adverse reactions, but I tend to avoid these now.
Screw the mushrooms, I want to find guns and knives like you are. :D

it's weird how once you identify a mushroom, have eaten it, and are sure of what it is that you start seeing them much more easily. We are a visual, pattern-finding species and mushrooms seem to be an species uniquely suited to our way of seeing things. Or maybe it's the other way around.

it's weird how once you identify a mushroom, have eaten it, and are sure of what it is that you start seeing them much more easily. We are a visual, pattern-finding species and mushrooms seem to be an species uniquely suited to our way of seeing things. Or maybe it's the other way around.
I agree.
When I was younger(pre internet) morels were mythological little beasties . I was fairly confident I knew what I was looking for, but I'd be damned if I could ever find one.

Skip ahead I'm 25, out of the navy, and out in the woods with another guy mushroom hunting. He's 75 yards from me and asks if I'm finding any, nope says I. So he comes over to check on me, tells me to stop, so I'm standing there like a doof and he asks if I see anything "nope". He says "kneel down"... so I'm looking and I swear this thing steps out from behind a leaf because it wasn't there a second ago. A morel! Then another and another. I stand up, the clouds parted, angels start singing, harps playing, they were everywhere.

I think I found 40 in the spot I was standing in the middle of, and another 60 or so on my own that day. All it took was my brain being reprogrammed to correctly interpret what my eyes were seeing.

Back