Review Mystery Knife ( I roll the dice )

old4570

Banned By Request

60/55 HRC ( 60HRC file bites / 55HRC file skates )
It's a mystery knife as it is Brand Less .. So good no one want's to put their name to it !

Factory edge = 50 slice fail ( Probably a lot less )
First roll of the dice = A loss !
Knife has been reground , 2nd roll of the dice ASAP .

I'd like to thank you for reviewing these weird and questionable off brand knives. I'd bet there are more people buying these than would care to ever admit on here.

Some one must be buying budget knives ( Sub 100 banana's ) .
Though , I would think they don't visit knife forums . If they did , then the forums would have 100's of millions of members !
I think the people that visit ( hang 10 ) at such forums are the thin razor edge of the knife world .

I've purchased several fixed-blades at or under $50. Some I liked, and kept, and used, some I didn't.

The first knife pictured below cost me $8 (eight dollars) brand new (on sale). I carried it for about a year and used it hard on construction sites. It served me well. I only stopped carrying it after I retired and carrying a fixed-blade was no longer practical for me.

Unfortunately the knife was recently stolen from my garage. I don't know who stole it. But it gave me the excuse I needed to buy a new knife. I set my budget at $50, and after a lot of searching, and buying one knife and sending it back, I bought the second knife pictured below (Eafengrow brand, model EF-124, $40+ tax). I like it a lot. I just wish it were bigger (blade is 4-3/4" long). And it came with one of the best kydex sheaths I've ever encountered.

I also own fixed-blades that cost hundreds of dollars each, but if I were going to carry a fixed-blade today I would be carrying the Eafengrow.

I like "cheap" fixed-blades, and I've never been ashamed to say it (including on this forum) :) .

0oIHwvO.jpg

qiuu7hv.jpg

Last edited:
I want to get this down as it's fresh in my mind ...

Factory Bevel was 25deg or more ...
When I reground , I did so to the factory bevel .
The knife did a 150 Fail with a rolled edge ( 60 grit regrind @ 25deg or more )
I then threw the knife onto a guided knife sharpener and lay down a Approx 20 degree bevel ..
Which I cleaned ( de burred ) as well as I could ..
This edge Rolled ( apparently ) at 250 slices ... ( Still not D2 performance ) Good for CrMov but not D2 .
I have just reground the edge 60 grit and around 20 degrees .
So another roll of the dice to come .

Wet - wet - wet - wet and more wet !
+ My back is playing up rather badly ... Knife is ready to R&R , but the weather and my back are not co operating ...

Ok , final part of the review ..

20 degree bevel ground @ 60 grit ..
Resulted in a 400 slice fail ..
That's not too bad for the price point of this knife .
Remembering that the factory bevel was something crazy like 25+ degrees .

Making the Mystery D2 bushcrafty ..

Yes , as delivered the Mystery knife was spineless ....
So onto the grinder we go and make the spine a little better .
So we can throw ferro and scrape wood .
It scrapes wood well now , but is throwing ferro everywhere ..
Which is better than being spineless .

Did I get ripped a new one = No! I think I got decent value for my money ..
Yes , I had to DIY a little to get the spine to work for me . And I had to correct a FUBAR factory bevel .
But what knife in 2022 didn't need a re grind ? It's a very small list .
So with some corrections , I'm happy with the knife .

F1.jpg

F2.jpg

Printed up a 8mm DIA ferro rod mount for the kydex sheath on the mystery knife .. Now it's fully bushcrafty !

Back