N.C. Carry Laws

Anyone know what the laws are regarding fixed blade carry in N.C.
What would constitute a concealed weapon - and what's legal to carry.
Any info would be much appreciated esp. from you LEO's out there.
Thanks.
Lagarto

By NC state law:

Fixed blades are legal, but CAN NOT be concealed unless on your own premesis. No knife can be carried on educational property or other restricted areas.

If you are engaged in an activity with legitimate use such as hunting, you can raise that as an affirmative defense to a concealed weapons charge.

The only kind of knife you can clearly conceal in NC is an "ordinary pocket knife." No length restriction is given, so many people assume any length folding knife is OK. However, part of the legal definition of "ordinary pocket knife" is "a small knife..." Mega folders would probably not be considered "ordinary" or "small." Use your best judgement. I keep my concealed folders under 3". Concealed knives also may not be openable with "a throwing motion."

You are quite welcome.

I notice you hail from a college town. I am a student myself. Just for clarity, I should say that the restriction of knives on educational property extends to college and university grounds.

I found this surprising when I looked it up in the general statutes, but it is there. I doubt enforcement would be very aggressive at universities, but you should be aware.

Back