Nail breaker question?

Hi everyone.....

I recently purchased an equal ended trapper from Mooremaker. The spey blade has great walk and talk but the clip blade is a real nail breaker to open. I was wondering if there is a way to solve this little problem without sending the knife back..... will it break in by itself with repeated use..... is there something else I can do to maybe speed up the process? I own two other Mooremaker knives... a drop point hunter and a five blade sowbelly stockman. The stockman was smooth as butter when I recieved it and the drop point doesn't fold so no problems there. Any help would be much appreciated.

Jason

This may not be your cup of tea Jason, but I generally mix a wee bit of Flitz or Simichrome with some light oil and sparingly apply to the relevant offender...then lap, making sure to limit the amount that contacts the liners and side of tang.

Messy, but used sparingly it is effective.

Regards.

Hi,

Yeah, lapping and polishing like no-one recommended works well if you are careful. I've heard of guys just leaving them half open for a day or so. They claim that can loosen them up. I've never tried it myself. GEC's are acclaimed as nail-breakers, but but my Barlow broke-in after a couple weeks of use.

dalee

Thanks for the replies.... I'm going to try leaving it half open for a few days, then try the lap and polish if that doesn't work..... simple first! Thanks again...

Jason

Some of the experts in "Maintenance" can provide some guidance on this subject...

Thanks for the move Blues.... wasn't sure if traditional was the right forum but I was positive there were some slippy owners there!

Is it very stiff to open or is the back spring too strong?(as in it snaps closed and opens extremely hard)

Back spring is too strong..... once the blade has been opened slightly then it's not a problem..... just getting it started is the real issue.

Jason

Back spring is too strong..... once the blade has been opened slightly then it's not a problem..... just getting it started is the real issue.

Jason
There's not much you can do about that, wearing it in is one option as people suggested. You could also try a tiny drop of oil between the backspring and the tang, it might help a bit, don't put too much or you'll have oil coming out of the sides of your back spring.

Roger,

Tried the oil already..... not much difference. I guess it's down to a break in period! Oh well.... gives us time to get to know each other.;)

Back