Nalgene Or camelbak

so im wondering what you guys use and which one would be better over all for hiking and to stuff inside a GSI cup..also would the camelbak better bottle fit in the maxpeditioni bottle holder..?

I've had a camelbak since their very first model back in the 90's. I used it first for mountain biking, but when I got into hiking, I found it to be just as useful.

Personally, I think it's just easier to grab the tube and take a few drinks than it is to get the nalgene out of its carrier, slow down so you don't spill it while taking a drink, then putting it back into its carrier.

I keep my nalgene in my car to drink out of when I'm done with the hike.

**edit** Oh, you mean the Camelbak bottle. lol. Between that and a Nalgene, get a Nalgene. Unless you really like the straw action of the Camelbak bottle.

Both have their merits. You can't beat a camelbak for staying hydrated while hiking - just fantastic ergos. They suck in the winter, valves freeze, tubes freeze. The nalgene is better in winter, but the ergos are lacking for general on-the-move hydration: needs to be accessible [pack hip belt?], relatively heavy, you need to stop and drink. I generally use Platypus water bags b/c they're super light for their volume, but they're very difficult to fill [say pouring melted snow into them from a 2 liter pot]. So, I use a camelbak arrangement in non winter/freezing conditions and a stored Platypus or Nalgene in the winter.

Surely a personal preference. I mainly use my camelback for offroad biking. But also while hiking. For longer hikes (especially here in the desert area of the UAE) I usually also carry one or even two additional nalgene bottles with me.

Yes, the camelback nalgene bottle fits in the maxpedition bottle holders as well. It just sticks out a little on top but not a problem at all. The diameter is pretty much the same as of the other nalegene bottles I have.

Last edited:
i was kinda on the fence on which one to buy, and after searching around they are relatively cheap, so i think i may just pick them both up.

For bottles i prefer the steel kleen kanteen. I feel it keeps the water colder.

Between the plastic bottles i do prefer the nalgene because i can fill it partially then freeze it where the straw on the camelbak bottle prevents this.

The bladders are a great thing while hiking if your pack can handle one. For bike riding they are a must for me.

I think a steel bottle like a guyot or kk and a bladder will have you well covered with just about anything. The steel bottles can be boiled in and the bladder can be rolled up when not in use.

Back