Name my new puppy contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Knapp

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Help name my new puppy and win some mammoth ivory. I got a new puppy, a Chesapeak Lab mix to train for upland bird and duck hunting. She is also going to be a house dog. My wife thinks she has a say in the name :rolleyes: but does not like any of the names I like and I don't like any of the names she has chosen. So here's the challange, find a name we both like. It should be feminine, can be sporty but should not sound silly when I call her name on a South Dakota pheasant hunt (or any kind of hunt). It can be an animal name an indian name or other ethnic name (like Spanish for "hunter") It should be fairly short.

The person that suggests the name we both like will get the set of mammoth scales, thanks for helping, list as many names as you like.
namethedog028.jpg

namethedog032.jpg

What a beauty Mark. I suggest Ruby after my own female dog.
Nice of you to do the G-A contests.
-Vince

Some hunting names you might consider:
Devana - Slavic Goddess of the Hunt ( my favorite hunting name )
Or
Artemis - Greek Goddess of hunting
Diana - Roman Goddess of the Hunt

Nice pup. Good luck on her training.
How about Brook? I like one-syllable names for hunting dogs, seems to catch their attention quicker.

I was going to say Hank. But you want a girly name. So maybe Wilma? Bill or Billy for short?

Jazelle might please your wife more than you but I like it for a feminine name. More commonly spelled Gisele BTW but I like the "z" in the name.

1st name that came to mind when I saw the photo was Natasha.
I think that was stuck in my mind from when I was a kid and watched the Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoons.
Remember the spies; Boris and Natasha? She was always dressed in black.

Here's mine........ Bir-dee, Gunnar, Ducker, Bear. The last name might cause some funny issues calling her back on a hunt. :D

How about BLADY, what else on a knife forum! Feminine, short, easy to yell during training.

I think that you should go with "Zima"... it means Winter in several eastern European languages. Plus, it makes people think that you're secretly a fan of girly alcoholic beverages from the '90s. Bonus.

Erin

Gorgeous

She is an "Ebony"

as in "Ebony and Ivory"

Or to make it sound "tough" you could call her "Ashes"

I tend to name dogs after I get to know their personality AND after trying a few names out and seeing which the dog responds more readily to.

But since that isn't an option, I tend to fall back on another rule... dog names should be short... one or two syllables at most, otherwise the dog can't process it. Also, it should have a hard consonant sound (preferably a T, as they respond to that).

So I'll go with Tasha. Sure, I ripped off Mark... but at least I explained why. :)

Mark and Mrs. Mark -- Beautiful looking pup! Gawd I miss having a dog; miss living in the country for that matter. You don't want me posting any animal names. The last dog we had (a drop dead beautiful border collie that was smarter than me) my kids named Happy Fairy. The last cow I had got named Little Brother Moomoo. (He was conceived on my little brother's birthday and calved on my son's (our daughter's little brother's) birthday. A few other names of four and two legg-ed friends we've had were: a pig called Little Sausage, a donkey called Kita as in Donkita, 48 laying hens each named Cheesburger (my 3 year old son at the time was fond of cheeseburgers), etc... Given my track record of award winning critters' names, I better refrain from participating as I've already been gifted enough (well never enough) of your ivory. Thanks for stirring up some more fun! -- Phil

PS -- Keep her away from those scales. She could probably teeth her way through a set like that and turn them into puppy poop in a matter of minutes! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back