Native Changes

I never liked the Native too much. I have the feeling that you get a lot less usable edge for the bulk (length and width) of the knife than with other slimmer designs such as Endura, Delica, etc.).

I like the leaf shaped blade but I would only go for FFG models. I find saber ground blades a lot less slicy.

I may grab one if I find a deal or something on the exchange.

Considering my preference for full flat grinds and wire clips, which model would you recommend? I am not picky regarding the steel and FRN is ok with me.

Thanks in advance,

Mikel
I have two of the light weight versions in FRN, but they both have the standard clips, and no grooves in the handles for a wire clip. I prefer the flat grind too, and haven't found the shorter blade to be a problem. I use them a lot in warmer weather. The Native is great when you want to carry a lighter & smaller, but still capable knife.
Image.jpg

Considering my preference for full flat grinds and wire clips, which model would you recommend? I am not picky regarding the steel and FRN is ok with me.

My personal preference - Sage or Chaparral. Maybe the Manix 2 LW if you want something a little larger.

Other popular models meeting your criteria include the Caly 3 or Caly 3.5, or the UK Penknife (UKPK) if you don't mind a slip joint.

Then there's a whole range of other models that are FFG + wire clip but don't quite have the leaf-shaped blade: Siren, Para 3 LW, Sliverax, SpydieChef, Kapara, etc...

I never liked the Native too much. I have the feeling that you get a lot less usable edge for the bulk (length and width) of the knife than with other slimmer designs such as Endura, Delica, etc.). I like the leaf shaped blade but I would only go for FFG models. I find saber ground blades a lot less slicy.

That's what's great about Spyderco.

There is no "one size fits all. There are so many models/variations that you can always find something that appeals to you.

Glad you have seemed to find your niche, which (of course) is not the same as mine. 🤷‍♂️

I have two of the light weight versions in FRN, but they both have the standard clips, and no grooves in the handles for a wire clip. I prefer the flat grind too, ...
Wire clip is a preference, but not mandatory. Full flat.. IS. So this one you pictured is perfectly fine in my book! Thanks for the suggestions.

My personal preference - Sage or Chaparral. Maybe the Manix 2 LW if you want something a little larger.

Other popular models meeting your criteria include the Caly 3 or Caly 3.5, or the UK Penknife (UKPK) if you don't mind a slip joint.

Then there's a whole range of other models that are FFG + wire clip but don't quite have the leaf-shaped blade: Siren, Para 3 LW, Sliverax, SpydieChef, Kapara, etc...
Maybe I explained myself wrong. The wire clip is not that big of a deal. I just threw it there. I own a UKPK and I like it a lot!

Regarding the leaf shaped blades... I have the feeling that given always a full flat grind, for the same blade thickness, the wider the blade, the acuter the angle of the primary bevel, therefore being a better slicer.

I once had a Manix 2 LW in my hands (I bought it for a friend) and it looked like a fine knife.

That's what's great about Spyderco.

There is no "one size fits all. There are so many models/variations that you can always find something that appeals to you.
Absolutely!

I just found out about the Native Chief... seems like a hybrid between a Native and an Endura. However I don't know much about the featured steel (CTS-BD1N).

What are your thoughts about the Native Chief and this steel?

Mikel

Wowow, that plain edge with the swege just did something to me. The hunt begins. 😎
I have one of those from two decades ago for sale if interested. I hope an unsolicited message of this sort is not rude or inappropriate. I have no firm idea of a "real good deal" price for this knife. Message back here or email at goslaughter@outlook.com if you choose to respond. Thanks for your time. IMG_20240225_102135_091.jpgIMG_20240225_101326_293.jpgIMG_20240225_102036_166.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with you guys that like the old Natives with the swedge – they have a major cool factor! Probably not seen in the photos are the hollow grinds – not only the main grind but also the swedge! I suspect the machining was too costly, so the extra grinds were eliminated. I bought mine at Walmart many years ago (I think it was $50, but I'm not sure), and it has been my most frequent EDC ever since.

I carried one of two different BM AFCKs for even more years before the Native. I finally decided to downsize to the Native, but at times I missed the extra inch of blade length. So imagine my happiness when I saw a Native Chief! The Chief is 1/4" shorter than the AFCK when closed, and maybe 1/16" shorter when open (blade length is about 1/8" longer on the Chief). The Chief feels great in my hand (everyone's hands are different, so I realize grip comfort is very subjective). I bought a Sprint Run Chief with the black M390 blade steel, and I liked it so much that I also got one with S30V steel to use as an EDC knife. Besides how good the Chief feels in my hand, I also like the pointy blade tip and the lack of a blade hump (so the top of the blade is even with the handle when open, and the overall height when closed is not too much). So what's next – another Native Chief of course! I will probably get one with Magnacut steel (even though I don't like yellow).

Thanks Sal and everyone at Spyderco for an amazing selection of great knives!

Gene

Hey Sgt,

Very nice. Thanx for the input.

Hi Gene, Thanx much for the kind words.

Talking Strory:

FYI, The original Native was designed to be able to sell in Walmart. I spent many hours in the Walmart sport section watching and talking with knife customers to get as much input as I could to design a model, made in the US, that would be successful in Walmart.
We ended up selling quite a few Natives in Walmart and many of our customers were introduced to Spyderco because of the Walmart $40 Native.

They took on Spyderco because they were getting a lot of flack for only selling China made knives.

There first order was for 7,000 knives at a cost they dictated and a short delivery date. I didn't think that our factory manager at the time could deliver the product on time, on budget. I had a long talk with Eric, while we were at the Eugene knife show. I told him that we had a good opportunity with Walmart, but I was too busy running the company and designing to be able to
drive" the project. I told him we would have to decline, unless he could do it. He was young at the time, maybe 20? He volunteered to drive the project. He spent the next 3 months studying each part and process and was able to deliver on time, on budget.

sal

Last edited:
I've the Seki version which I still carry occasionally. If memory serves, the swedges and modified saber grinds gave way to "full flat grind" due to the general love for the slicing performance of FFG rather than for economic reasons. I agree that FFG slices better, but I have to agree that I love the esthetics of the sabers.

I hated the older versions.
Pinned construction
Big screw clip.
Thick blade.

Back