Native Chief XL?

gk4ever2

Gold Member
The Chief is my favorite folder by far. I also have a Police 4, which is nice, but does not feel as good in my hand as the Chief (I realize hand comfort is very subjective and will vary greatly based on a person's hand size and knife model). I nearly always carry a folder loose in my pocket, and I prefer the closed profile (height top to bottom) of the Chief and how it looks. I was comparing the two knives, and then it hit me: what about a Native Chief XL with a 4.5" blade – what are your thoughts?

Interestingly enough, the native chief is a large native 5, so I imagine a name change similar.

I love the native but didn't like the chief as much. The handle profile seemed a little off on such a long knife and the 50/50 choil isn't needed with such a long handle, for me at least. I loved the blade, the handle just felt really long with the 50/50 choil.

I own 3 Native Chiefs & I think it's perfect the way it is.

I also own a couple of Yojimbos & think that the Yojimbo is perfect the way it is too. The moment I bought & held a Yojumbo, I immediately knew that I needed to sell it because its larger size made it too unwieldy to handle.

I'm sure that I'd feel the same about a larger Native Chief larger & wouldn't buy one.

PS: I also own 9 variations of the Native which I likewise feel is perfect the way it is. However, while the design of Native Chief finds inspiration from the Native, the Native Chief is not just a larger version of the Native, it's a unique design in its own right.

Last edited:
I would probably buy one, but I would much prefer a 3.5" version first.

Back