Native steel question....

KBR

I'm looking into getting the Native, but I'm unsure what edge to get. I have heard that they come is different steels. I am leaning towards the 50/50 (or is it 35/65?) but I want it in VG-10.

Does Spyderco make the Native 50/50 in VG-10 steel??
Your info is appreciated. :D

I would advise against a partially serrated blade, especially on a blade a tad over 3". It hurts the ability of the blade to cut things which require a plain edge. The plain edge can be sharpened in a way to effecively deal with most any materials. Unless it is going to be used for strictly materials where a serrated blade is best, i would go with plain edge. Plain edge blades are also usually more attractive in trade, if you might wish to do so sometime in the future. Good luck.

I suppose that the plain edge would be better to get. I have the Delica with full Spyderedge and it could be used when the situation requires a little more bite with the serrations. (I always carry more than one knife.) Besides, I imagine that the Native would look sweet with the full plainedge.

I find a good sharp plain edge more versatile than a serrated.

I can tell you from daily personal experience that the Native DOES look sweet with a full plain edge!

I bought a combination edge Native awhile back, and now wish I'd chosen the plainedge. Jeff/1911.

I have an older (GIN-1) native in plain edge, and just recently got both a Salsa in plain, and a stainless native in 50/50 serration (AUS-10).

They were within a couple dollars of each other from the site I ordered them from, so it's fun to compare.

I really like the native. The partly serrated blade works well for the kind of chores I do, and there is still enough plain edge to do some fine cutting. It's a great knife, and very solid.

Regarding the Salsa, I have to say I just don't get it. It's a clever design, but why do you need (or want) a blade that is 1 3/8" wide, when it's 2 7/16" long? It's very sharp, but a bit difficult to use if you want to cut a turn on anything. The lock is more awkward for a lefty than a lockback, and the clip is difficult to reverse.

So much for the rant. Get you're Native, you'll love it.

Al Folsom

Jeff, does the Ltwt Native have a true 50/50 combination, or does the serrated portion take up more of the blade? I am also considering a Native, but want to get my hands on one before I make a purchase.

I believe they refer to the style I have as "35/65" although there is only a tiny bit of plain edge, and it's single bevel ground which I find makes it difficult to sharpen.

Jeff/1911.

I believe they refer to the style I have as "35/65" although there is only a tiny bit of plain edge, and it's single bevel ground which I find makes it difficult to sharpen.

This is not true for the Stainless version of the native,it seems to be a real 50/50 serrated/plain. I have not had to sharpen it yet,so can't speak to that, but the blade does appear to be a "semi" chisel grind,though ever so slightly.

I would be interested to know why Spyderco chose to equip the stainless native with a different version of a mixed blade, from the FRN model. When I bought my first native I didn't get the semi-serrated version because of the 35/65 mix.

Peace,

Al

Thanks for all of the input, so far. I've decided to go with the plain edge Native. I feel that my SE Delica can handle any serious cutting chore that I may need done. I always carry more than one knife on me anyway, so I think that the Native PE can complement the SE Delica. What do you think?:D

Back