Native's Bigger Brother?

I got a Native and like it a lot, especially given its price. The handle fits pretty comfortably in my small hand. A larger version would probably fit bigger hands better. And I wouldn't mind having a bigger brother to the one I have.
smile.gif

I am curious how the company decides to make two or or even three size versions of the same design (like the Goddard) but offers one size for certain other designs. Just curious.

sing

Sing,

Last month's BLADE magazine had an interesting article about this issue. The crux was that the need for big fixed knives has reduced over the years and that solid folders have become the more practical tool of choice. They discussed the big-little brother concept and found most factories predicate the intoduction of a sibling on the demand experienced for the original size offered.

After the SHOT Show maybe Sal can comment about the decision making process for Spyderco.

------------------
-=[Bob]=-

Always yield to temptation as it may never pass your way again!
God save us from those who want to save us from ourselves.
Forgive your enemies....but not before they're hanged!
Rascality has limits; stupidity has none.

I did NOT escape from the institution! They gave me a day pass!

Hi Sing - I think Spyderco decides using two methods: 1) Consumer feedback, and 2) reaction based on prototypes shown at shows like SHOT and Blade.

Sometimes, little/bigger brother versions of knives just don't work out. For instance, I've had an experience with another manufacturer, whom shall remain nameless here, who brought out a bigger brother version of one of their folders. It was a great size and felt good in the hand, but when they elongated the handle design, that had an effect on the thickness of the liner lock bar. One day I was doing some tests with the knife and the liner lock bar bent on me as if it were made of tin. I couldn't even close the blade - it was truly a "fixed blade" then
wink.gif
The knife was sent back and was dismantled examined closely. the manufacturer looked into using different materials to beef up the liner but found the cost to do so would increase the SRP of the knife too much to their liking. As a result the knife has been discontinued. So, in short, bigger brother/little brother versions don't always work out well.

Now, the Calypso C52 and C54 knives work equally as well as a big and small folder!

------------------
Dexter Ewing
Knife Reviews Moderator

"The keystroke is mightier than the sword"

Sing - Bob and Dex are correct. One must also deep in mind that often times a smaller version may not work in the hand (which has not gotten much smaller). In my own designs, when making a larger or smaller version of a model, I prefer to keep the "Cockpit" area relatively the same size and and just extend both ends. In most of the Collaborations, the smaller size may be an overall reduction in size. Depends on the designers preferences.
sal

Thanks, Bob, Dexter and Sal.

I appreciate the answers. Here's hoping for more sales of Natives...
smile.gif

You've heard it already. It's nice to hear directly from the head of a company on why it does what it does.

sing

Back