Natural outlaw and satin Jack

any one.... have natural outlaw or satin jack????
can anyone tell me more about them...
which is better?? tougher??

I have both and can tell you that they are two of my most very favorite knives.

As with most questions about, "Which is the better/best knife?" The answer depends on what you are going to do with the knife. Tougher? In what regard? They both enjoy the same INFI and heat treat. The aspect ratio of the NO is thicker so I would assume it would withstand stresses about its longitudinal axis better and would likely be a better pry bar. With that said, they are both more than tough enough for just about whatever can be reasonably expected of a knife and, because they are Busses, even what would likely be considered unreasonable for most knives.

While they can both chop, pry, dig, beat or be beat (baton), I would lean towards the NO only as I have had more experience in these activities with it and its aspect ratio is hearty.

While they can both cut, skin, prepare food and serve as a general camp and sportsmans blade, I would lean towards the Satin Jack in that regard mainly because of style, and handle design. Not that I haven't used the clever finger relief at the choil of my NO to choke up and do all of the aforementioned tasks, it's just that I purchased the SJ more with these uses in mind.

Tactical: again, either knife will do. I have carried the NO in my SOB (Kenny Rowe) sheath and felt very comfortable with that chunk of INFI behind me, (literally and figuratively). But, I would have to say, that the shape of the SJ lends itself more to most fighting moves than the NO. This is based upon aspect ratio, handle and overall balance.

I hope I haven't suffuciently confused you so that you purchase neither; but rather, I hope I have talked you into both.:D

Bottom line, unless you are doing something so far removed from anything that I have mentioned here, both knives will support those functions with more than sufficient margin. It just depends on which you like. I knmow that is not a very scientific answer, but both knives are just so capable that you will not go wrong either way.

ADDED TEXT FOR ANDREW: He's right, (as usual), handle both and see which you like better before buying both.;)

Edited for spelling, grammer and Andrew.

Well said Nimrod!

It might be worth to mention that if you can, it would be great if you could handle both of them before you buy (at a show). There's nothing like it when trying to decide!

I agree, you can't go wrong with either one.
The NO will be a better chopper. I have both also,
and prefer the Satin Jack, but I have small hands.
The NO handle isn't that bad, just that the SJ's handle
feels better to me.

I also have both of these knives. I have large hands and the NO feels better to me. I think the best way to choose is to hold both of them because they have a totally different feel in the hand. If they feel equaly good to you all I can say is- NO,NO, NO!

John
(can you tell which is my favorite?;) )

Shipyard,
Welcome to the Busse Forum. Glad you stopped by ;):D

As said above if you can give us a little info on your intended uses, what you want to pay, etc. we can probably give you better recomendations. However, both are Busses so they are extremely tough, durable knives.

I have to agree with you guys, they are both equally as durable as each other but they certainly feel quite different.

shipyard, it may be personal taste in the ergonomics but I prefer the larger dropped handle and the wider blade of the Natural Outlaw over the Satin Jacks, but some may find the narrower, straight handle of the Satin Jack more comfortable if they have smaller hands.

Either way, you'll not have to worry about which is tougher because they are both tanks:)

hello.. thanks for all the replies...

wat i am going to do with those knives?? hmm.. i think.. most likely... i am not going to use them.... i am going to collect them...
i heard tat they are very tough knives...

may go for satin jack... lighter...

Shipyard, better clear enough space for both, because these pups are like a certain brand of chips, betcha can't have just one.

Welcome to the forum.

Start with either, then get a Steel Heart or two, then a, well, you get the idea.

Like Andrew says, try to get to a show where you can handle both, and see which fits better. That still won't solve your dilemma, but at least you get to handle and play with them. LOL

Mike

I owned a Satin Jack for a while. I think it is pretty worthless for chopping and slicing. I would go with the N.O. because it slices better and is better as far as the handle and chopping ability. I own a BM-e which is a N.O. with a blade three inches longer. It cut far better than the satin jack through food and when whittling.
Just my opinion,
Luke

Shipyard - Welcome!!! :)
Most of the folks above already mentioned the handle differences: straight vs dropped handle, wide vs narrow, to fit your hand size & preferences as need be...
But you might consider getting a Satin Jack Limited Edition (LE) which is more money, but it slices FAR BETTER with its edge than the standard asym~ edge, i believe. Once again, it depends on what you're going to do with it, potentially & actually: if you plan on COLLECTING, as mentioned, then definitely go for the SJ LE !!! :cool:
INFI Powered,
Climber Clif

Investing
Now
For
Iternity
=INFI !

( :p The INFI Acronymer Strikes Again! )

What exactly is the difference between the standard and LE Satin Jack, which would make the LE slice better? Is the LE a full convex grind or something?

The LE knives have a satin finish, paper micarta scales (IIRC) if you wish, and zero edge geometry. I think that basically means that the angle of the primary grind (the grind from the spine, I mean) continues with the edge. The edge is dual convex, and non-assymetrical. The edge is quite thin and slices very well in this format.

Of course, you could just reprofile a stock combat grade edge to improve slicing ability with a diamond stone and some spare time.

It's like asking me which one of my kids I love the most.:confused: :eek:

Gettem both and live life!:D :cool:

Hmmm, my SJ LE came as a convex grind??? Is that what the zero edge geometry is all about?

Back