Navajas

I have an Exposito.
I didn't test it extensively, but till now it has performed quite well. The lock principle is analogous to a normal lockback, but instead of having a lever on the rear of the handle you depress to disengage the lock, you use a small lever attached to the lock itself which, turned up, rises the lock out of its socket. It should be as good as any lockback knife, just less easy to disengage.
IMHO the issue of lock strenght is overblown. Under normal cutting usage the lock shouldn't suffer any stress, so that the blade should remain in the open position even if there weren't any lock at all.
It's just when using the knife's point with forward pressure you put the lock to some use.
And that's something seldom happens, unless you use the knife as a weapon.

didnt crawford custom just come out w/one?? saw an article in some gun mag about it - if pat makes it, i am sure it is the top of the line in that category.....

sifu

Originally posted by SIFU1A
didnt crawford custom just come out w/one?? saw an article in some gun mag about it - if pat makes it, i am sure it is the top of the line in that category.....

sifu

Sifu, you're referring to the Perfigo designed by Bob Kasper made by the Crawfords:

Perfigo_stud.jpg

that is the one i refer to, wasnt it described in the article as a navaja, or am i imagining things??

sifu

On Crawford's website, it says that according to Bob Kasper, the inspiration for the Perfigo came from a Spanish Navaja he bought after reading James Loriega's book "Sevillian Steel, The Traditional Knife-Fighting Arts of Spain." Incidentally, the protrusion you see in the handle near the pivot screw is a belt or waistband stud. The knife is meant to be carried tucked in the waistband like a traditional Spanish Navaja, therefore, it has no pocket clip.

Perfigo_stud.jpg

Back