Navy MK1......again

A couple of years ago, I picked up a Navy MK1. It's a nice knife, but I never could warm up to the black coating on the blade. So, I finally stripped it off. Nope, it's not perfect, and has some scratches. For better or worse, I got what I asked for.
Oddly enough, I'm OK with the black pommel. And, it still functions just fine. šŸ˜€

Before (with gratuitous pilot survival knife included in picture)
original.jpg

After
original.jpg

Just use it. šŸ‘

Looks good. I collect USN MKI deck knives.

view

Back in the day, I sent a letter to KA-BAR extolling the virtues of this model and reminding them they made it during the war. It is every bit as iconic as the MKII in my opinion. I received a response that they would consider it, about a year later it was available. No proof I was the catalyst, but I like to think I was.

The trouble is, they fell a little short in my opinion. The blade is smaller in width than the original as if they copied a worn one. The coating isā€¦ā€¦..meh, the sharpening choil is too big actually not necessary at all.

KA-BAR and WESTERN were the only suppliers of MKI deck knives that didnā€™t use a birds head pomel as a result the handles are a tad short. The USN specs called for a birds head.

This picture shows a comparison with a post war civilian KA-BAR that had the birds head

view

Last edited:
Wow, that is a fantastic collection! The handle is a little short, but still feels pretty good to me (I have small mitts). After stripping it, I gave it a good sharpening. I changed the bevel angle to about 19 degrees (according to the KME sharpener), and it slices like a razor, now. It's the sharpest knife I own. I'm really starting to like it. Thanks for getting KA-BAR to think about doing a reissue!

Here is one a good friend of mine (zanussi01) rehandled some years ago and sold. (Buyers pics. page 43)
Blade stripped, 1/8th brass guard, leather washers and alloy pommel all in the Randall model 1 style.
This gives a longer handle and much nicer shape without modifying the tang. :thumbsup:
I may do one of these in stag when I get bored (or Ka-Bar make one in D2!) and have nothing better to do.;)

T34cpt7h.jpg

Back