NE khuk. konvention:Lots of rain, lobster and STEEL!!

I just typed a HUGE report on the whole event and then it got erased:mad:

Let's try again:

The day started at 10:30 with Akabu ringing the doorbell, hands full of NYC bagels and baked goods---needless to say I quickly ushered him in:D We brought his khuks and other weapons and gear down into the basement which was the "weapons room" for the day. Russ Kay showed up next, and then my brother and his family. ArchAngel was next with a truckload of sharp pointy steel in several cases!! The day was clearly off to a good start:)

We spent the next hour or two shooting the breeze, comparing khukuris, knives and swords of all shapes and sizes and getting acquainted. All 3 guys are just as they are on the forum, and in fact are even nicer in person!:)

Then it was back upstairs for beer and lobster, and a deliscious chocolate dessert that Akabu brought.

We went back downstairs to see some more of Russ's knives that he had brought along to show us. He passed around some of the most beautiful custom folders and small fixed blades I have ever seen---this man has very good taste in cutlery IMO!!! Russ then surprised me by passing me a nice sized (ie, knife-sized:D)box whick contained a very nice CRKT pocket-clip folder!!! Many thanks again for the knife Russ!

finally the rain stopped and we headed outside to do some cutting!
We made short work of some trees ranging in size from 1/4" to 5" in diameter, with several khuk styles being represented. IIRC, sirupatis, AK's, Bas's, and I think Russ may have had a Chitlangi out there too? We had fun cutting despite my insane german shepherd dashing in between us as we tried to cut. I kept thinking she was going to wind up looking like a Rottweiler before the day was done, but thanks to great blade control and judgement the dog (and all of us) escaped without harm.

After we tired ourselves out chopping we headed back in for more knife talk, which is always a good idea!!

Many thanks to all for making it a fun day, and for sharing all your knowledge and great blades. One high point for me was coming up from the river down below where the main chopping was going on to find Akabu teaching my sister in law how to chop with a khuk, and she was really enjoying herself!!!! I don't know if he knows it yet, but she is normally pretty anti-knife and weapons in general, so that was quite the accomplishment!

Thanks to Russ for bringing his digital camera and taking photos of all of us and our chopping also! I will post these asap.

BTW, this is the THIRD time I've typed this so it may not make sense, but I'm too tired to check it right now for mistakes!!

NOTE: there would be more smilies in the above post to show how happy I was with the event, but that is what caused the first report I typed to be erased, and I don't know what happened the 2nd time, but I wasn't going to take any chances this time!!!!!:D

Congrats Rob!
It's places and people like these that make this forum not only a place to unwind, but to find friends as well.
I imagine if Tsimi had come, he'd be chanting the HIKV mantra now....

When I do a post longer than a few lines (which is rare cuz I'm lazy :D )before pressing "submit reply highlight the text, right click yer mouse and click copy. That way if it's lost you can just paste it into another message.

Can't wait for some pics. :) You are gonna post pics, yes?

Lobster, beer, steel and a few playpals. Life can be good. Sorry I couln't make it but Maine is a far piece.

Yes, send pix.

Lobster, beer, steel and a few playpals. Life can be good. Sorry I couln't make it but Maine is a far piece.

Don't blame you Uncle Bill!! Maine is quite a long haul from Reno! We did have a case of cold Heineken there though:D

Bruise,

Yep pics are coming--Russ took some with his digital camera and will be emailing them to me to post soon. I don't know if he and his wife are even back home yet, so it may be a few days.

Rog,

Thanks:) Yeah, it would have been REALLY interesting if Tsimi showed up that's for sure:D I'm afraid my wife would not have allowed me to cook dog tacos on our gas grill though:barf: ;)

We were talking about the possibility of the next Konvention being held at a spot that would allow the maximum number of Forumites to attend. Maybe that would end up being Reno anyway?

Rob,
I want to thank you and your family again for taking us all in and making us all feel like family! It was a GREAT time. I also found it wonderful to meet fellow forumites, and find out that these fine men are just as they seem on the net.
It was nice to see others tastes in knives in person. It does give me much to think about, in the way of knives that is. I must behave myself and hold of buying knives for awhile.
It is interesting to meet others with soo much knowledge about so many varied subjects. I just love learning! If I only had a brain, (as the scarecrow once said);)
It was a great day, even with rain, cold , and the elements trying to be a problem. The day was made great with new friends, GREAT food, and fun with steel. A time I will remember warmly for years to come! Thanks Rob!:)

It was a great day, for sure! I’ve sent Rob some photos which I expect he can post shortly. Connecting forum names with faces and real people was so neat. We spent a whole day just talking khuks, swinging khuks, showing off moves and knives, and, oh yes, chopping wood. I settled on my chitlangi for the field work, and I continue to be amazed at how powerful a tool the khukuri is.

One thing that was really nice was the chance to see so many different kinds of khuks all at once and compare them. I’ve looked at all the pictures and the FAQ, but I find it hard to tell many of the different styles apart in photos. Handling them makes a much different impression. Archangel brought along a YCS, and I was blown away by how pretty that is. Yvsa, you made a fantastic design, and Sanu did it justice. At one point we put up 3 BAS khuks side by side, and each was somewhat different. Akuba had a very interesting yataghan and Rob’s brother Brian had an exquisitely crafted two-handed broadsword – four feet long and just over three pounds.

I'm STEEL thinking about everything that happened that day. Thanks, Rob.

WOW!!! You guys sure had some fun!!!:) I wish I could have been there! I'm glad you all got to get together and made it back home safely!!! I'll try to make it to the next one and does anyone have an idea when that will be? I'm looking forward to some pictures!:D

When John Powell's back gets back to normal we will conscript him to fly us to conventions in his jet.

Here's the first of the series of pics that Russ sent me last night:)

These are my khukuris:

And here's the crew!!!

From left to right: My brother Brian, Akabu, Russ Kay, Yours truly, and then ArchAngel on the end making us all look short;) :D

and here's a shot of ArchAngel with his khuks:

BTW that lovely piece of cardboard in the background is not designed as room decor, its a throwing star target:D I would have gotten those out but the kids could not be kept out of the basement (where all the knife pics were taken).

Those pics are great! Thanks for sharing!
Looks like y'all had a good time.

So when's the next one? and will it be any closer to us DC/MC/VA folks?

Dan

Here's Uncle Rob playing didg with some "help" from Nephew Luc:D Who BTW, LOVED all the blades. I thought Archangel was going to lose his white handled mamba to him when he left:D

Russ titled this one "don't mess with Akabu!" and I believe this to be healthy advice!!:)

Back