!!! Near Disaster Today ( Not knife related)

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Today we had a severe downburst storm at my store. It rained 6" in one hour. Everything flash flooded around the area ... streets full of stalled cars with water halfway up the doors ( including two police cars), parking lots with water to the cars floorboards, etc. While we were all watching the downpour with a little too much joy (the store is much higher than the lot), one of the gals came out of the back hollering, "Stacy, the roof is leaking in the safe room". I went back and water was pouring in over the safes. I tossed everything out in the hall and put the bins the inventory gets stored in at night on top of the safes and on the floor to catch the water. The big 40 quart tubs were filled in minutes. It didn't take long to realize this wasn't an ordinary roof leak. It was pouring cats and dogs outside but I went up the access ladder to the roof. The roof had a foot of water on it. The main drain is in the side wall of out unit and the rooftop drain is on the roof above us. The drain was clogged with all sorts of crap and not draining a bit. I waded through the water staying far away from the AC units which were 6" deep in the water. When I got to the place where the drain was I reached down and locked my fingers in the grate and pulled it out of the drain pit. All hell broke loose with a huge whirlpool and the water shooting out the side of the building a good twenty feet across the parking lot. The drain is a 12" PVC pipe that comes out the wall 3 feet above the sidewalk. Normally the rain runs down it and trickles out onto a French rock drain. It took over 15 minutes to drain the roof through the 12" pipe. I calculated the volume of water on the roof at around 10,000 gallons, which is roughly 40 tons. The drain rate would calculate to 40,000 gallons an hour. What was happening was the roof was starting to collapse in the back corner. A few more minutes and it could have caved in on us. I contacted the building agent and told him I just saved him $100,000. He said he had received a call from one of the other tenants who said his roof was leaking. He told me he couldn't have a fellow out for a couple hours, if the man could get there at all. When he heard the what was the issue and what I did, he was super happy I was there. He asked if he could do anything for me and I somewhat jokingly said he could buy me a new pair of shoes. He said he would have a check delivered tomorrow morning. He never asked what my shoes cost. He will have an engineer out tomorrow to assess the building roof.

The alarm system was soaked (also located in the secure safe room) but I got it dried and blown out. The alarm folks came out and will test it for the next week to see if there was any damage. Other than about 10 rolls of paper towels and four hours to clean everything up and dry the stuff from the safes, no real damage or loss. It could have been soooo much worse.

You were lucky. I've seen roofs totally collapse in that kind of rain.

Fortunate for all concerned!

Youre a lucky man mate. Most people these days have no idea what to do.

Pretty much all new factories we do now we suggest having eaves gutters over box gutters and a parapet for this exact reason.
In Huntingwood in NSW we had a massive hailstorm a few years ago. One of the new jobs had all the eaves gutters torn off while the building next door looked like someone had stomped on it.

Make sure you buy yourself some nice replacement shoes!

Went up on the roof with the roofers at 8:30AM. Looks like everything is OK. I'll post more on that and photos in a bit. When I scaled the access ladder like a monkey one of ten roofers (about 25 years old) comment on me skipping up the straight vertical ladder. I told him that one story wasn't much compared to the 500 foot com towers I used to climb. He asked how old I was and I told him, "I used to climb those towers back in '70, which is my age now." He wasn't sure if I was kidding or not. Those of you who have visited me in person will understand his doubt.

Skip ahead to 10AM:
A man just walked in and asked for me. I came up front and he handed me two $100 bills and said "Dave said , Thanks". Then he left.
Shoe shopping online tonight. I can only wear a certain type of shoe due to my oddly shaped size 8 WWWWW foot. I can usually find it for about $135-150.

A funny side note is that the floor manager who was there with me yesterday went to dinner last night at a nice place. The group at a nearby table was talking about the flood and one said that some guy in Strawbridge Marketplace saved the whole building from collapsing. My colleague butted in and commented that it was "Her guy.", then immediately changed it to ,"Well, not My guy, but our Jeweler." (She was at dinner with her new boyfriend). The other table said that their daughter worked in the building and the whole place heard about me being on the roof in the middle of the storm to save the roof. She asked my colleague to pass on her "Thanks".

Great action and timely reaction!

Is this allowed in the USA? its used to prevent leaves clog the drains. Another version goes only above the vertical pipe.

Pablo

B3VZOA5.jpg

Gutter Guard and Leaf Guard are common in the USA. I can't use them at my house because I have pine trees and the needles go through the grate.

Back