Neck knives in California?

Pardon my ignorance, but are neck knives in California legal to carry? Is there blade-length limitation?

I know folders of any length so far are okay to carry, but I'm not sure about the laws on fixed blades. Would someone knowledgeable on our "dirk and dagger" laws please educate me.

TIA

Ron (guncollector)

California's laws on fixed blades are pretty simple: open carry is OK, concealed carry is a felony. Blade length is irrelevant(that's state law; local ordinances may be more restrictive).

Neck knives, as well as all other fixed blades, are legal to carry, regardless of length, as long as they are not concealed. A 1" neck knife under your shirt is a felony; a 4' neck sword worn openly is legal. Keep in mind, though, that you can't carry a fixed blade over 2.5" onto any k-12 or university campus.

dsvirsky & medusaoblongata:

Thanks for the info. Looks like unless Neck Knives become the next "must have fashion" externally-worn accessory in the SF/Bay Area suburbs (bastion of sheeple and soccer-moms), I'm not going to be wearing one... :eek:

Ron (guncollector)

Also, check your local laws on blade length. In Left Angeles, we are not allowed to openly carry any blade of three or more inches (city and county laws are the same on that). There are exceptions for legitimate recreational and vocational uses.

Jason,
I'm curious. You mentioned a 2.5" limit on fixed blades in schools in California. Can you help to supply me with a legal basis for that (ie CPC, court ruling, etc.)?

Thanks
~ Golden Bear

Originally posted by medusaoblongata
Keep in mind, though, that you can't carry a fixed blade over 2.5" onto any k-12 or university campus.

As a former California (SF Bay Area) resident, allow me to assist. The reference is CA Penal Code section 626.10.

UC Berkeley may well have rules that are more restrictive than the State law, especially if your live in campus housing. It would pay to be discreet.

I was just on the phone with one of our sales reps in the Boston area and he sent me a fax describing an ordinance making any knife with a blade over 2.5 inches illegal unless hunting/fishing or proven use on the job.

I then spoke to one of our dealers, Stoddard's Cutlery, and he was already checking with a few local attys to get back up information on this legislation.

I am hoping to know more on Monday.

AKTI (American Knife and Tool Institute) focuses on national or state statute but I wondered if anyone had any feedback on this boston issue and any knowledge on who to contact to get it dropped or altered.

What other cities already have a 2.5 inch rule? Is that a city legislative standard? It has not occured in the state law I have been monitoring.

Back