Need a great idea....

I bought some pieces of A2 on ebay a while back. I got them for next to nothing, couldn't pass them up. They are 1/4" thick, about 1 1/4" wide, and vary from 6 1/2" to 8" in length. What kind of designs do you suggest? They are too thick for small hunters, too short for a most full tang designs... so what do you think? The other part of this question is how much tang is enough to make a stick tang on a thick blade like this? Thanks.

Make some mega cool matte black tactical tantos like this!!!
I had a piece of L-6 that kept getting in the way so I just started grinding and this is what happened.
ViewImage.dll

Scott

Yeah, and then you might suffer same problem as Scott and decide after teasing everyone with pictures that you aren't actually gonna sell both of the knives, but like them so much you are gonna keep one for yourself. ;)

You can make a partial tang.
Alot of kitchen knifes and older hunting knives have done this. It is also apart of some ethnic knives. Just be sure to pin the blade to the handle and use epoxy.
It wont take alot of abuse but it will cut.

Give yourself at least 1 inch of tang then silver braze on a threaded rod or bolt and you will be good to go with a soldered on guard and a pin at the front of the handle through the inch section.It will never give you any problems.Heck Moran shows in some of his old articles on knifemaking in books that all you need is a half inch and this is on thicker blades.
Make sure you drill the pin hole before you heat treat,or else you will have to pin through the bolt or threaded rod.
Bruce

Only an inch? Good to know that size doesn't really matter! I guess now I can make decent 5-6 inch blades. Thanks for the advice gentlemen!

Back