Need a huge favor from ASHBM owners, specs?

leatherman

leathermoderator
I know not as many Busse fans visit here, but if you have an ASHBM and can get some measurements of yours please post here.

I need tip to micarta, blade width, and blade thickness. If you have calipers even better. :)

EDIT to add some measurements :)

Last edited:
Randomly noticed this thread. Sorry I didn't sooner. Don't spend a lot of time on bladeforums because of the way many of the mods behave (yourself not included).

Don't have a precision way to measure large distances, but on my coated choilless model:
Tip to ridges on scales: 11 1/8, give or take a hair
Tip to bottom of talon hole: 11 3/4, again give or take a hair
Spine thickness: .325 (measured with calipers)
Width: 1.885 (again with calipers)

If I can be of anymore help, please drop me a PM as I'll probably forget to check here again.

Reactions: rio
Hey Camber! Sweet! Thank you! :D Much appreciated.

So far out of the three measured, none are the same. I hope to get at least three more measured. Luckily leather is more forgiving, I'd hate to be a kydex bender right now.

So I remembered to check back in.

How are they differing? Width? Thickness? Length?

So far the width and length, thickness is similar enough not to bother me, but the kydex guys have to be having fits. Their tolerances are so close.

Width is varied as much as 1/8", a close fitted sheath and that is enough to keep the knife from seating properly. The length on the one in my shop is actually 3/16" shorter than a couple of others, and that is why none of the sheaths I made would fit, and the leather I have cut is useless. Lots of waste and stress. I honestly should have known better, I used to make a little wiggle room in my sheaths because the knives were not all the same, it shows the hand process and I like that.

Damn man. That seems like a lot of variation for the Busse's...at least when I've held multiples of the same blade, I never noticed that much difference in any of them.

Either way though it sucks you lost the leather. I'm sorry to hear that.

At ten bucks a square foot its not an easy pill to swallow. :p

Lesson learned, I will always put a bit of room in my work, again. I can hopefully modify the already cut pieces to fit other work, I'm sure I can. :)

The differences are so close, that to the naked eye its not visible, you have to take the calipers and rulers to them to see it. It's a good thing. :D

Damn, I had no idea leather was so expensive. Hope you don't have much trouble fitting them to smaller items.

You can get cheaper leather for sure, but my work, and customers, demand a few steps above. :)

Its not devastating, just aggravating. :p

Totally randomly saw this...tapped the wrong thing... Anyway, I have a CG ASHBM, with choil, measured as follows:

Tip to micarta: 11 1/8"
Width: 1.854" spine to edge, 2.03" spine to bottom of talon hole
Thickness: .318" at ricasso, .310 spine mid blade

Hope this helps, all measurements with caliper except blade length.

Back