• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Need a maker - Winchester file to be made into a knife

A good friend recently showed me an old 10" file he had on his workbench. The hilt has a horizontal stamping of the manufacturers name - "Winchester".

I got an idea and obtained the file from him for "research". He will be retiring at the end of the year after 30 years in law enforcement, and is an avid outdoorsman and shooter. He doesn't really have a custom knife, and my thought was to have the file made into a knife to give him upon retirement.

Of course, my friend has gone through my safe many times, and he's an avid admirer of Dan Winklers interpretations (this guy was born 125 years too soon and would like nothing better than to be driving cattle up the Chisum trail..)

Well, I communicated with Dan, and he said the file could be forged or use stock removal to make a knife, but he's years out on orders. I'd like to find another maker whose tastes run in that antique style of Dan's. The whole point would to also retain the original "Winchester" makers mark on the hilt of the blade.

So - I turn to the forum for suggestions...

Michael Morris makes knives from Nicholson files and goes by the name of MykulMorris here on BF. I own several of his smaller knives and have been an admirer of his skills and craftsmanship. He is also a gentleman. Perhaps he'd be willing to do a custom for you.

Here is a matched pair he made that I've always admired. I'm sure his skills just keep improving.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...ael-Morris-Matched-set?highlight=mykul+morris

Here is one of similar size I did.

2012-03-14_13-48-33_311.jpg

I've had a couple of requests for photos. I apologize for the quality, but my good camera is on the fritz.

IMG_0766.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

I could make you a knife from that file. Keeping the tang stamp as part of the tang will be all but impossible because the tang is so short. Any knife made with a tang that small would not be practical to use. If you want me to make something without the tang stamp email or call me. You can search here for examples of my work.

I can make your file knife.

Back