Need a wierd torx bit for wave or a new multi tool.

I have been having problems with my leatherman wave not opening properly due to paint getting on the pivot joint. When I went to the hardware store to get a torx bit to dissasemble it, I found out Leatherman has their own tricky size. I emailed them and asked where I could get one, they said they don't sell them nor do they know of anyone who does, plus we don't trust you to take it apart, so send it to the factory. I am a skilled tradesmen and I am perfectly capable of taking apart my own tools, so I take that as an insult to my intelligence. If somebody know's of a website that sells these bits, please tell me. Otherwise I need a reccomendation for a folding plier tool equal in quality and utility to the wave that can be taken apart and cleaned.

I am furious that leatherman does not trust people to take apart their own tools, so I don't care that they have a great warranty. I am now unwilling to deal with Leatherman in any way, so please don't incourage me to send it to the factory.

Man I think you are right Leatherman should provide the tools for a proper maintenance to their own models. If they dont want to do it maybe we shouldnt buy more from them, you are right. Check the thread that I open, is the one that Geothorn post up there and they gave me really good answers to that problem. The old and new wave are 5 point, the charge both are 6 point security torx bits.
Tango.

Looking at the old thread, I found out I can get these bits off ebay, so I just might. Yesterday when blade forums seemed to be having technical difficulties, I emailed Leatherman and truthfully told them that if it turned out to be impossible to fix myself, I would cut my wave in half with my oxy acetaline torch, drop the pieces in a sewer, and go out and buy a Gerber. The response from a Leatherman employee was:

"I have forwarded your e-mail onto my supervisor for additional
information.

I am awaiting a final response as she is looking into it.

Please don't do anything with the tool just yet.

I will get back to you as soon as possible."

I'm not sure what exactly that means they are doing. I'll tell you guys when I find out.

I got another email from leatherman. It says:

Here is the information that I given by my supervisor:

"In large part, the issue isn't that a skilled tradesman (or most
anyone) couldn't take apart the tools--assuming they are able to break
the gluing/bonding agent in the rivets. The issue is re-assembly. There
is a certain range of tension in the pivots within which the tool
operates optimally; we have the technology here to set the tools to that
tension, while almost no consumer has that capability in his or her home
workshop. A second issue specific to the Wave design is that the process
of placing the external blades in position is automated, partly for
safety reasons. Specialized machinery pushes the lock springs out of the
way, places the blades and inserts the rivets through the handles,
washers, blades and pliers jaws, keeping fingers and thumbs out of
harm's way.

Our choice is to make sure the customer has a tool that meets our
standards for effective operation, and with the Wave specifically,
insisting that we conduct any repair or replacement also keeps people
safe.

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us."

I responded by telling them about how I managed to get the blades off with vice grips, clean them, get them back on by using the smooth end of a drill bit ground on a beltsander and used as a slavepin, and then properly secure the screws with loctite, and that this is not that difficult for the average tool user. I also told them about how I am getting Torx Plus bits off ebay for the other screws which can't be removed with vice grips.

I think we should all stop buying Leatherman products until they figure out that were not all drooling morons. If anybody else besides tango44 thinks a boycot would be appropriate, please say so by leaving a response on this thread, and then email leatherman at mktg@leatherman.com and explain to them that you think its best for people to be able to fix their own knives if they choose to.

If enough of us contacted them, told them of our dissaproval of the use of torx plus screws, and promised to quit buying their products, we might actually get something done.

PS.
jchaney

That website has the same qualification requirements as everywhere else.

Hi Tango44,

Earlier in this string, you stated that the security torque fasteners on the 2004 Wave and the Charges was of the six (6) point variety. I have three different Charge tools and all have the five (5) point variety as shown on the Leatherman site. Would you take another ;look at yours and let know whether these are 5 or 6 point?

Thanks - Joe

Or you could just get a victorinox Swisstool and you wouldnt have to worry about taking it to bits or spending all that time emailing Leatherman trying to change there production methods and designs .With a swisstool if it gets bunged up just stick it in some water and boil the little sucker then dry and wd40 and oil , they are stronger than leathermans aswell .Dont get a gerber it will just break .

Dunc

Hi JoeBW:
Maybe there is a confussion, but here are the facts on the tools I own.
My both 2004 Wave is a 5 point. This one was made on September 2004.
My Charge XTI is a 6 point. This one was made on January 2005.

You can check the number that is inside the handles, thats tell you the month and year of made.
Maybe and just a guess they start using 6 point this year.
All the other Leatherman tools that I own are 5 point. And those where made before 2005.

Tango44 said:
Hi JoeBW:
Maybe there is a confussion, but here are the facts on the tools I own.
My both 2004 Wave is a 5 point. This one was made on September 2004.
My Charge XTI is a 6 point. This one was made on January 2005.

You can check the number that is inside the handles, thats tell you the month and year of made.
Maybe and just a guess they start using 6 point this year.
All the other Leatherman tools that I own are 5 point. And those where made before 2005.

I alway's wondered what the number inside the handle was, thanks!
My Charge say's 0205 inside.

My outside blades all have 6 points on them.
on the other end were the tools are one side has a five point and the other a 6 point. I take it that is so you lossen the correct side to adjust things.

Not the best photo, but you can see it's 6 points.
03a76981-6113-4af6-ba8d-c0656b6a7711.jpg

Hi All,

Guess this issue of 5 versus 6 point security torq (ST) screws gets even muddier. Here is what I have;

Charge XTi - Standard model - Code one side 0404, the other 0804 - 5 point stainless ST

Charge Ti - Cabelas Camo - Code one side 0404, the other 0904 - 5 point black oxide ST

Charge XTi - Bass Pro shops - Codes both sides - 0404 - 5 point stainless ST.

It appears that Leatherman isn't fussy as to 5 versus 6 point ST - must make for fun in assembly.

Joe

JoeBW said:
Hi All,

Guess this issue of 5 versus 6 point security torq (ST) screws gets even muddier. Here is what I have;

Charge XTi - Standard model - Code one side 0404, the other 0804 - 5 point stainless ST

Charge Ti - Cabelas Camo - Code one side 0404, the other 0904 - 5 point black oxide ST

Charge XTi - Bass Pro shops - Codes both sides - 0404 - 5 point stainless ST.

It appears that Leatherman isn't fussy as to 5 versus 6 point ST - must make for fun in assembly.

Joe

question:are the security torq (ST) screws made of stainless steel?? :confused:

Back