Need advice - replacing my broken large Espada

Good day,

Tragedy struck this last weekend as I managed to take a massive chunk out of my AUS8A large Espada (62NL). I was whittling some small planks of wood, and the blade got stuck in a small knot. I forced through it, and the blade shot forward into a hidden nail inside the board I couldn't see. Took a massive chunk out of the beautiful hollow ground, mirror polished blade. Obvious abuse of the blade, even if unintentional, so I can't return it in good faith. That being said, I need a replacement.

I've been eyeing the new CTS XHP Recon 1 XL (27TXLCC), and was wondering if the manufacturer and/or community could answer this for me: would going with a CTS XHP flat grind folder instead of an AUS8A hollow grind folder have maybe prevented this problem (ie: would a flat ground CTS XHP blade edge survive that kind of abuse without massive chips taken out of it, or at least bend rather than break)? If so, going down to the local knife shop to pick up the Recon 1.

I've also considered just replacing the Espada with the new XHP version (62NGLC), since apparently the blade now has a full flat grind, but I'm still leaning towards the Recon 1, since the lack of a mirror polish means it doesn't light up the room and scare the shit out of my co-workers.

If even the 27TXLCC wouldn't survive that kind of abuse (chopping a nail), are there any 5 - 5.5" folders that would? I found myself eyeing the 4max (62RM), and am very tempted, but I just hate having an EDC less than 5". If the steel and grind on that blade means it can take a lifetime of abuse while being used for fishing, woodworking, whittling, light prying, etc, then I would seriously consider going down to a 4" EDC.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm now going to make a cigar box coffin for my Espada and bury it out back.

You sure you want to bury it? Send it to me with return shipping and I will sharpen the blade down to useable and send it back to you. It'll be professional as well. Don't bury your knife!! :) Do you have pics? I want to see the battle scars

If you look at the blade from spine to belly near the middle, it's roughly 1.5-2" wide. It's missing a hole the size of a nickle. To grind it down to a usable length would involve grinding away the entire hollow ground secondary grind up to the beginning of the primary grind.

You sure you want to bury it? Send it to me with return shipping and I will sharpen the blade down to useable and send it back to you. It'll be professional as well. Don't bury your knife!! :) Do you have pics? I want to see the battle scars

Reply above. Sorry, it's utterly destroyed. Thanks for the offer though.

The Recons' blade looks great, dislike the handle. The 4-Maxs' handle looks amazing, hate the blade shape for penetration. Personally I would go the non cold steel route and buy a Emerson Sheepdog or Emerson Karambit. The CRKT M16 14M and M16 14T tanto folders with autolawks are perfection in a pocket knife aswell. Those are the best knives I have carried for EDCs.

As far as CS folders my picks are the Ti lite, Counter point I, Pocket Bushman, Spartan (I like the handle, but the blade should look like the CS Talwar), Talwar, and Tigerclaw. All good EDC knives and applicable to SD as well.
I would invest the time to sharpen that knife down with a diamond stone, then use flitz metal polish and a strop to remove the scratches to the blade. That knife is worth work. Let me know.
~All the best,,, Zemapeli/Nick

The Recons' blade looks great, dislike the handle. The 4-Maxs' handle looks amazing, hate the blade shape for penetration. Personally I would go the non cold steel route and buy a Emerson Sheepdog or Emerson Karambit. The CRKT M16 14M and M16 14T tanto folders with autolawks are perfection in a pocket knife aswell. Those are the best knives I have carried for EDCs.

As far as CS folders my picks are the Ti lite, Counter point I, Pocket Bushman, Spartan (I like the handle, but the blade should look like the CS Talwar), Talwar, and Tigerclaw. All good EDC knives and applicable to SD as well.
I would invest the time to sharpen that knife down with a diamond stone, then use flitz metal polish and a strop to remove the scratches to the blade. That knife is worth work. Let me know.
~All the best,,, Zemapeli/Nick

For EDC I prefer a clip or spear point 5" to 5.5" blade. I can rapidly switch between natural/sabre and reverse/icepick grips in sparring, so the karambit (as cool as it is) feels like I'm tying one hand behind my back, and takes a long time to switch grips. I'm actually surprised Cold Steel made folding karambits, given the article Lynn wrote on them (page 3; which I mostly agree with).

Last edited:
You can still make a nasty looking toothpick blade out of that that would be pretty cool. Remember the slimmer the blade: the nastier the cut. (Charlie Mike) who is a member on this forum would make that into the nastiest SD EDC you could ever imagine carrying; A stiletto/toothpick from hell.

That is very nice steel there. As a matter of fact, that handle alone with the blade could be used to make another knife entirely for a quarter of the price of buying a new one. (With a laminated blade with a hamon)... Just some ideas. I would either pay a custom knife maker to make me a blade using the old one as a template and have a jeweler engrave the blade (for the same price as burying it) or pay a grinder to grind the blade down to a lethal toothpick and get the knife/blade engraved by a jeweler. Way cooler that buying a new one... Just ideas..

You can still make a nasty looking toothpick blade out of that that would be pretty cool. Remember the slimmer the blade: the nastier the cut. (Charlie Mike) who is a member on this forum would make that into the nastiest SD EDC you could ever imagine carrying; A stiletto/toothpick from hell.

That might be fun when I have some disposable cash down the road, but for now I really need something that can be used for heavy work. All good suggestions though.

I have a CS Tiger Claw folding karambit, and am VERY disappointed with it. Day #1, I used it to cut some AWG24 solid core copper wire. I took a tiny 0.5mm radius chip right out of the blade. It's advertised effectively as an electrician's knife, so I was pretty upset that this could happen from cutting a single tiny wire.

Also, for EDC and SD, I prefer a clip or spear point 5" to 5.5" blade. I can rapidly switch between natural/sabre and reverse/icepick grips in sparring, so the karambit (as cool as it is) feels like I'm tying one hand behind my back, and takes a long time to switch grips. I'm actually surprised Cold Steel made folding karambits, given the article Lynn wrote on them (page 3; which I mostly agree with).

Good stuff. Dual Karambits are the most lethal cutlery that a man can carry in modern day. It is second to none. The ring can be used to strike downwards in the hand or head, or punch. The ring also assures that you do not ever lose your knife in combat (which is a very big advantage). You can also modify the knife blade to deploy when pulled from the pocket (like Emerson's emerson opener) You can use them naturally to punch and slash the face, neck, and the eye as well as to parry or block a strike (with a punch or slash). I was taught to NEVER use revers/icepick grips on a blade in hand to hand or CQC. Always grip the blade naturally, and on the flats of the handle in the hand. That is how you strike best. Karambits are the best SD folder ever made. I utilize various punyo silat and tamashigiri techniques when I practice SD with a karambit. (Such as the Kesa-giri - to the neck or clavicle to the liver, bladder, kidney, intestines)
Clip and spearpoint blades are the second and third best choices in that order.
*Edit - the clip and traditional tanto.

Hard to beat a good clip point though for general utility. I literally used to use my espada to do everything: cut sandwiches/fruits, open boxes, cut electrical wires, whittle wooden toys for my nieces, to shave (yes, got quite good at it), SD, you name it. Cleaned, honed and oiled it daily. I'm actually quite sad it's so damaged. I was less upset at the last few funerals I've attended than when I saw pieces of this lovely blade go soaring.

Good stuff. Dual Karambits are the most lethal cutlery that a man can carry in modern day. It is second to none. The ring can be used to strike downwards in the hand or head, or punch. The ring also assures that you do not ever lose your knife in combat (which is a very big advantage). You can also modify the knife blade to deploy when pulled from the pocket (like Emerson's emerson opener) You can use them naturally to punch and slash the face, neck, and the eye as well as to parry or block a strike (with a punch or slash). I was taught to NEVER use revers/icepick grips on a blade in hand to hand or CQC. Always grip the blade naturally, and on the flats of the handle in the hand. That is how you strike best. Karambits are the best SD folder ever made. I utilize various punyo silat and tamashigiri techniques when I practice SD with a karambit. (Such as the Kesa-giri - to the neck or clavicle to the liver, bladder, kidney, intestines)
Clip and spearpoint blades are the second and third best choices in that order.
*Edit - the clip and traditional tanto.

I respectfully disagree on the deadliness of karambits. I've done cut tests, and it snags far to easily on clothing if you over strike, and for a hit-and-run oriented weapon, the thought of being stuck at close range when you're relying on shallow slashes is terrifying.

Also, the "stealth" aspect is lost unless you've got someone actively trying to kill you silently without your prior knowledge. If someone pulls out an emerson for a scrap, I think a pair of 1.5 foot long Espada XL blades will take the wind out of their sails.

Give me a pair of ESEE Junglas blades to do some butterfly-sword style work, and a pair of 3" karambits won't do squat with a pair of 17" giant crushing blades raining devastation on the target with speed.

Hard to beat a good clip point though for general utility. I literally used to use my espada to do everything: cut sandwiches/fruits, open boxes, cut electrical wires, whittle wooden toys for my nieces, to shave (yes, got quite good at it), SD, you name it. Cleaned, honed and oiled it daily. I'm actually quite sad it's so damaged. I was less upset at the last few funerals I've attended than when I saw pieces of this lovely blade go soaring.

I'd get another Espada if I were you. There are some pretty good deals on them right now with a bit of searching. I have most all the Cold Steels in AUS8A and CTS-XHP and love them all.

:) Thanks. Will consider it. BTW, is the new XHP Espada flat or hollow ground? The CS web site states full flat grind, but the pictures look like they are hollow ground. Thanks!

:) Thanks. Will consider it. BTW, is the new XHP Espada flat or hollow ground? The CS web site states full flat grind, but the pictures look like they are hollow ground. Thanks!

The CTS-XHP Espada is what I would consider a saber grind even though Cold Steel calls it a flat grind. It definitely is not hollow ground.

I called Cold Steel and the CS Rep said they would replace your blade. I explained it was user error and he said send it in. They prefer UPS or Fed Ex. Send it to the address below with a note including your address.
(805) 658-0180
8:00AM - 5:00 PM (PST)
Cold Steel, Inc.
6060 Nicolle Street
Ventura, CA 93003

I called Cold Steel and the CS Rep said they would replace your blade. I explained it was user error and he said send it in. They prefer UPS or Fed Ex. Send it to the address below with a note including your address.
(805) 658-0180
8:00AM - 5:00 PM (PST)
Cold Steel, Inc.
6060 Nicolle Street
Ventura, CA 93003

That right there is why folks frequent this site. Skyhorse you get an "attaboy"! Fine job in helping out Dogbertius. :)

Thank you all so much. That's very accommodating of CS considering I effectively backhanded an iron nail at speed. One more reason I buy their folders.

J7C5RQa.png

Back