Need Advice

The Buck 119 is USA made, The Boker is made in China. There are a lot of non full tang knives that see and take heavy use, so the 119 not being full tang wouldn't bother me. I haven't seen any reports here of the 119 breaking.

O.B.

Nothing wrong with the 119 but your comment "looks good for occasional EDC carry" gives me pause. The 119 is a bit large. How about one of the new Pursuits, the 656. It is 9.5", 1" shorter than the 119. An attractive package with full tang and a premium S35VN steel, slightly smaller and handier package for EDC. Also USA made. The 119 is old school classic but the newer handle materials are grippier. Just another option to consider.

656.jpg

Last edited:
I collect bokers too. mainly German made ones, but some of their Chinese made ones. their magnum line is cheap for a reason. its isnt meant for anyone really wanting a high quality knife. they are made to meet low price points and you give up much. the 119 beats that one out in many ways.

as for tang......Buck119 stripped_zpsdsplwnf1.jpg
picture isn't mine I borrowed it for educational purposes. it is radiused at the hand guard and makes it very very strong. its close enough to not be an issue.

Buck 119; KaBar "Marine (and Army) Fighting Knife"; Ontario 499 "Jet Pilot Survival Knife" and 498 "Marine Fighting Knife" (identical to the KaBar, but is still Mil Spec, and is the current issue) Mora with beech wood handle/grip (Number 1; Number 2; etc) all have three things in common:
1) They are not known for breaking.
2) They are known to be good for "heavy" use.
3) They all have a stick/rat tail tang.
(Some would call it a "full tang" since it is the length of the handle/grip; you just can't see it.)

Just because you can't see the tang down the middle of the handle/grip, don't mean it is a "weaker" design. :)

The 119 is a fine knife, that has been in continuous production for over 75 years. The 75th Anniversary was a couple years ago. I believe it is Buck's second most popular of the 100 series, behind only the 110 in sales.

I strongly suspect that for the 119 to trail only the 110 in sales, and to be in continuous production for 75 years and counting, Buck must be doing something right.

As DeSotoSky DeSotoSky mentioned, depending on your location, the 119 may be a wee bit large for EDC. (be sure to check your local laws concerning blade length. Some jurisdictions are still "pre-stone age" and have maximum blade length limits.)
I live in Idaho. No blade limits, but I still got looked at more askance (and more often) than "normal" when I carried my 119 around town and/or to the grocery.

The 118(?) might be a viable option. The 118 (I think I have the model right ...) is pretty much a "mini 119". Same profile, but with a blade of between 4 and 5 inches.
From over 40 years of hunting, I've found a blade of 3.5 to 4.5 or so inches ... 5 inches at the most ... much nimbler and handier than a longer knife for field dressing and peeling game of all sizes.
(generally speaking, shorter blades are also more comfortable when you sit, and don't have the sheath tied to your thigh...)

Of the two you mention, I'd choose the Buck.
1) Better Customer Service (they actually answer emails, the phone, and answer questions, even from a nothing like me
2) Buck's Forever Warranty is at a minimum worlds, if not galaxies better than anyone else's.
If you pass you Buck in to your Great-Great grandson or grand daughter, it is still covered by the warranty. Most other knives are only "original owner and not transferrable", no matter what the time given is, if you take the time to read the warranty.
3) Buck also offers a "SPA" service. You can send in your Buck knife for refurbishing, and for something like $6.95, you'll get it back looking like new.
(also, if you find a Buck knife out in the boonies, sticks, bottom of lake/steam/babbling brook/pond/river/ or even the ocean, it is still under warranty, and still eligible for the SPA service.) :)

I have a couple Böker "Plus" and one "Magnum". I've tried contacting them, over the last three or four years with no luck.
If they can't be bothered to respond to a simple question like: "The advertising and box/hang package says "440C". The blade etch says "440A". Which is it?" from someone who bought their product, Why should I think their "warranty"/"guarantee" is worth the paper its written on, or so much as the ink used to print it?

Sorry. I might be a little Biased. The lack of Customer "Support" and Customer "Service" I've experienced from Böker, ensures I will never buy another Böker.

EDIT:
You might want to consider the Buck 113.
Very capable in the field, when hiking, etc., and not "too big" for EDC.

Last edited:
I'd go with the Buck.

One thing I will say about the Buck knives in that line. They are made to do what they were designed to do. Cut. Slice. Separate meat. Whittle sticks, cut food, etc.

They are nicely hollow ground and all my classic Bucks from their slip joints to the 120 have had laser sharp edges on them.

420HC steel is super easy to re-sharpen. And holds an edge just fine. I have more high end steel in custom knives. Including customs in CPM154, AEBL, CPM3V, I've used 52100, INFI, Sr101, A2, 5160 all the 10xx steels, differentially heat treated included, ATS34, D2, Aus8A, and too many other stainless steels to take rhe time to write here.

I still enjoy Buck's 420HC.

Fit and finish will be better on the Buck handle and guard. Their current grinds on blades (like mill work in the fullers) is not perfect, but I enjoy the look.

I have knives I do silly things with that I would not do with the Buck 120 or 119 (hard chopping or batonning come to mind). Throwing is another thing to avoid with the Bucks like 119 or others in the same design line.

Everything else knife appropriate and you should he fine.

Last edited:
Since you mentioned occasional EDC, the 119 is much too large IMO to carry around except when in the woods. If I were you I’d look into the 117, or even the 102.

I carry a 102 around often, and it would easily field dress anything short of very large game. Makes a great camp blade too. Take something larger if you need to chop your own wood.

Nothing wrong with the 119 it’s a full length tang and very strong.

IMHO The 124 is the way to go.

Great blade shape. A big knife that only has a six inch blade. Has the full tang (width and length) you are looking for. Great sheath. It carries better than the 119. Great knife, only downside is the cost. They are a little expensive, but worth every penny.

https://www.buckknives.com/product/124-frontiersman-knife/0124BKSLE-B/

The 124 has a 6 5/8" blade with a full tang. Buck did make a full tang 119 in the Signature series. With a up grade handle & up grade sheath. But hard to locate.
If your set on the 119, there are many on the bay right now. DM

You are wanting a hunting knife that you can use for camping and occasional edc, preferably full tang and looking to choose between just two knives that are both larger fixed blade knives. My thinking is why just one knife? The three uses you are wanting to meet have different requirements depending on your personal usage and level of performance. A camping knife can sometimes call for a large blade but many outdoorsmen prefer a mid sized knife around 4 to 4.5 inches which also does very well as a hunting knife. I would suggest a Buck 104 compadre or the 656 Pursuit as a hunting/ camping knife. Then for edc a small Pursuit or a folder that is more compact and less noticeable. There are several knives that are in the range to fit what you want but I’ve never been a one knife kinda person.

edited the name compadre. Auto correct is a pain! Lol

Last edited:
The Buck 119 is USA made, The Boker is made in China. There are a lot of non full tang knives that see and take heavy use, so the 119 not being full tang wouldn't bother me. I haven't seen any reports here of the 119 breaking.

O.B.

There are partial tangs and then there are partial tangs, and buck's are pretty robust.

I found this cutaway pic of a 119 on the internet, don't remember where, but it illustrates the point.

rk0dwhHh.jpg

You are wanting a hunting knife that you can use for camping and occasional edc, preferably full tang and looking to choose between just two knives that are both larger fixed blade knives. My thinking is why just one knife? The three uses you are wanting to meet have different requirements depending on your personal usage and level of performance. A camping knife can sometimes call for a large blade but many outdoorsmen prefer a mid sized knife around 4 to 4.5 inches which also does very well as a hunting knife. I would suggest a Buck 104 compadre or the 656 Pursuit as a hunting/ camping knife. Then for edc a small Pursuit or a folder that is more compact and less noticeable. There are several knives that are in the range to fit what you want but I’ve never been a one knife kinda person.

edited the name compadre. Auto correct is a pain! Lol
I agree with this line of thinking. The 104 is a fantastic knife and a 112 would compliment that well as the smaller EDC or utility knife when you can't carry the 104. I have both and they're always close by when I need them.

If you're limited to just one I would recommend the Buck 117, 212 or the 105 because they're slightly smaller than the classic 119.

Last edited:
The Buck over the Boker, most definitely. The 119, a classic for sure. I'm not sure why a full tang is always desirable. If you do plan to chop on stuff with your knife, you'll feel that tang more than a handle.

The 104 Compadre and 212 Ranger mentioned above are both good alternatives and they happen to still be available at SK Blades in D2 steel.

The 119 is a nice knife.
I never have figured out the line of thinking that requires a knife the size of a 119 for hunting.
Processing after the hunt, maybe.
I have field dressed more deer with a 113 than any knife I own.
Even tho the Vanguard is one of my favorites, I like the maneuverability of the smaller sized blade.
I guess a 119 makes sense for a moose or elk that has to be packed out.

Last edited:
Gotta go with Buck.
Boker magnum knives are overpriced rebranded generic Chinese junk.
You may pay up to $40 for something that can be had for $5 under some random flea market brand name.

The 117 mini special would be great as would the 212 and classic 102 woodsman.

Back