Need dog advice

We've been thinking some time about getting a dog.
My daughter is 2 and a half years old.
I love cats but I'm allergic to them... so, a dog it is.

My wishlist:
* As little hair shedding as possible (hmm is shedding a word? well.. hair dropping then)
* I'm not fond of smelly dogs, drooling dogs, or dogs with fat/greasy fur ...
* Smart. Easy to train.
* The dog must be SAFE considering it will be my daughters plaything (Not that she's rough, she's actually very gentle but you know what I mean)
* The dog should be active, no couch potato. Social. Happy.
* It will be a bitch.
* It must mutilate any threat to my daughter.. :)

My wife wants one of these:
http://phoenixatc.net/Belle_Beau.JPG
.. but what use will that be in a tactical situation? :)

I'm not looking for a big monster of a dog, just something.. normal-sized.
But it must also be cute and cuddly and playful or it will not be accepted by wife.

What say you?

Edit: I have little or none previous experience with dogs.

Considering what you've said, and if I had a daughter and were looking for a suitable dog, I'd pick an American pitbull/Staffordshire terrier, or Fila Braziliera.

But you'd need to be very experienced with dogs.

Anyway, I'd say you should look at possibly a Boxer. That sounds just about right for you.
Esav had one many years ago, and I remember Ken COx mentioned he had one too(or has one now?). Maybe they'll chime in.(not esav, he's not here due to computer problems)

You also might want to spend some time perusing this site. You'll get all the info you want here on ALL dogs. Photos, temperament info, grooming, health problems, life span, etc , etc.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/abc.htm

I'm always on that site, just for fun.(I'm a pitbul nut, but I really love all dogs at the end of the day)

Good luck. Also, check out your local shelter, and take your daughter with you. The dog you want just might be wating for you there.

Shedding most assuredley is a word. My partner is currently shedding me nearly to death.

There are several ways to go to meet your criteria, so you'll want to consider prioritizing:

If low/no shedding is the priority then you can go with one of the breeds with hair as opposed to fur, such as the poodle. Don't mock, they're outstanding dogs and they do not cut their own hair that way, people do that to them. You can have just a neatly trimmed or plain old shaggy looking dog that doesn't have to meet the stereotype. They come in varying sizes so you can choose what's best for you. I'd rule out a toy for fragility but a miniature is a great house dog, and playmate and a standard will do all that and be happy to mutilate threats. Either will be one of the most trainable canines in existence.

If you don't like that type, then you can also get low shed from various terriers. These are handsome dogs, in different sizes and colors. They are generally healthy, and durable. However, some are not tolerant of children's handling, all will be a challenge to train, and none will give the reliable response of the dogs above.

Moving away from the extremely low shedders, one of the best short hair breeds for kids (and this gets a "poster's pick" from me) is the boxer. They are energetic, trainable, very tolerant of little fingers in their noses and of being poked and stepped on, and while they do shed plenty, the hair is short and most don't have much double-coat. They don't begin to approach the real shedders like German Shepherds. The downsides: boxers are often not very long lived. In the fall I lost my boy at 12 1/2. That's positively geriatric for the breed. Anything over 7 is good, 10 is really good. They get cancer and lots of other things too, but hey we all gotta' go sometime. Drooling is hit or miss. My guy did not, his parents did not. That's a reasonable indicator and whatever you get, you'll want to meet the dog's parents if you can. Boxers do not have to be droolers.

Some basic general advice is this: look at what a dog was originally bred to do and you'll know how the dog will act. Look at the working dogs, GSDs, Labs for example. The GSD was designed to work with the shepherd, he's always looking back to make sure the shepherd is happy. The Lab works with the hunter, he does the same. What this gives the pet owner is a dog who's interested in pleasing him and therefore, trainable. Most terriers on the other hand, were bred to chase vermin independently. They don't seek approval, they don't look to satisfy and accordingly they can be more difficult to train. Do not buy a dog solely on looks because that will have little to do with personality. For example, there's a world full of people out there being tortured right now by Jack Russels because they thought they were "cute." Meanwhile what they are is a miniature machine that hunts, chases and exterminates small mammals. In the home that means they often dart out the door every chance they get, and statistically a "pet" JRT will be hit by a car before they ever reach old age.

I'll be here for the discussion if you have specific questions. :)

Oh yeah, I'm also a huge fan of the AMerican Bulldog. Check it out, it sounds like exactly what you want:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanbulldog.htm

Excerpt:
The American Bulldog is a brave and determined, but not hostile dog. Alert and self-confident, this breed genuinely loves children. It is known for its acts of heroism towards its master. These dogs have fought wild dogs, bulls and even fire. It is said "fighting off one of these dogs is like fighting an animal that possesses an alligator's head and a python's body." Yet when called off by their handler, they immediately obey. No wonder they are said to have "true grit, true devotion and true love."

Other dogs that you might want to consider are;
Black Russian Terrier:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/blackrussianterrier.htm

Perfect dog right here!
The Boerboel:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/boerboel.htm

Yip, I just went down the list stopping at the ones I know from my own dog knowledge that they might be good for you. I probably missed a few, but that seems like about it.
Boerboels and AMerican bulldogs seem like what you need.

Miniature Dachshund. Small (10 lbs. or so,) short hair (long if you prefer) and no dog smell. I would say ours smells more like popcorn than anything else. Very loyal and friendly. Love to be petted. Love kids. Actually they love everybody. Bad habits? They like to tear up things like paper they find while on "floor patrol." They like to bark a lot. Also, they hate to be left alone. They are chow hounds and will eat anything and as much as they can get so they have a tendency toward overweight. You need to control what they eat. Our 4 year old doxie is our fourth house dog during our marriage and an outstanding one. Great pet.

One would have to be insane to have any of the dog types commonly referred to as 'Pit Bulls' around small children/infants.
And if you can't figure out the reasoning for the above statement for your own damn self, then by all means ...get such a dog for your own children. Natural selection will take care of the rest ...and the world will be a better place for it.

With that said, the dog that it appears you are looking for is a border collie.

Boxers are lady's dogs and are very good with and very protective of children.

Go with a boxer. They are fablous dogs, loyal, protective, smart... I could go on and on. The only down side is the poor health record. Cancer took mine at only 6 years. If you decide to get one go with a qualified breeder. Also look into getting health insurance. Sometimes they develop allergies or other minor health issues. The insurance will help take bite out of the vet bill. As for tactical situations, don't worry the boxer can definitely hold its own and then some. They are great dogs. I have yet to hear anyone say bad things about them. Well maybe a cat or two.

jiminy said:
One would have to be insane to have any of the dog types commonly referred to as 'Pit Bulls' around small children/infants.
And if you can't figure out the reasoning for the above statement for your own damn self, then by all means ...get such a dog for your own children. Natural selection will take care of the rest ...and the world will be a better place for it.

Quite a few well respected members here at BFC have chosen pitbuls as family pets.

How about not making statements regarding dogs you know absolutely nothing about?
How about that for an idea?

FWIW, "the Rascals" kids small dog, Petey, was an american pitbul.
http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/pete.html

Quite a few well respected members here at BFC have chosen pitbuls as family pets.

How about not making statements regarding dogs you know absolutely nothing about?
How about that for an idea?

LOL!

Have your ever seen a 'pit bull' go after an injured rabbit? Have you ever heard an injured rabbit cry? Are you aware that an injured rabbit crying sounds just like a human baby crying.
And are you aware that 'pit bulls' have a brain about the size of a pea?

As I said ...do what you like. Natural selection will thin the gene pool.

jiminy said:

My personal opinion...The last dog you want is a Border Collie. I have one and I love her to death. But the straight fact is that though Border Collies are very intelligent-very intelligent!-they are also very poor pets. They don't take a lot of time and effort to train properly IF you know what you're doing. If you don't know a great deal about dog training, no offense I don't know if you do, you will make too many mistakes. Border Collies learn fast and learn permanent, so you have to be very careful and teach properly the first time. And they will learn even when you are not purposely trying to teach them.

Also, they are extremely energetic and enthusiastic. That sounds great until you have one in your car and she tries to chase oncoming traffic while in the back seat of your automobile. And she will not stop, period. On a trip of any length, this can be maddening. Border Collies become mesmerized by movement also. Mine will not stop looking up at falling rain or snow and actually tries to see snowfall/rainfall everytime she's out doors. In this respect, Border Collies tend to be somewhat kookie or wierd.

Lastly, Border Collies do shed quite a bit, and you mentioned that you don't want that. They have a heavy undercoat as well as a thick top coat and there's lots of hair to drop on your carpet. So, from a guy who has one and loves her to death, I know a bit about them and I don't recommend having one. If you don't plan on using her/him for stock (ie: sheep, etc.) or as an agility dog that you'll work with everyday, don't get one. They're wonderful dogs in many respects, but absolutely about the worst pets in the world. They were not bred to be pets.

Lots of good advice on this thread. Strongly consider a Poodle of medium size. They are very intelligent dogs and good natured, more normal behavior than a BC. Also, Boxers, I understand are great family pets. Listen to Emanuel and Tortoise for sure. They know what they're talking about.

How about a Basenji?

No odor, little shedding, smart, trainable, no barking, good with kids.

I think your requirement for a dog that will "mutilate any threat to my daughter" is, frankly, pretty poor judgement, and so would you if you had ever seen kids rough-housing. The first (and no doubt only) time your dog mistakes friendly wrestling between two kids for an attack would not only end up with a dead dog, it could also end up with a mutilated kid.

Have your ever seen a 'pit bull' go after an injured rabbit?

No, I have however seen my two pitbuls being chased around the house by my two cats. My cats scratch them to the point where I have to step in and yell at them(the cats) to leave my pitbuls alone.

And are you aware that 'pit bulls' have a brain about the size of a pea?

As with all anti-pitbul statements, this one too has nothing to do with reality.
These are actually very intelligent dogs, as mine prove everyday. Easily trainable, and very happy to please.

jiminy said:
Natural selection will thin the gene pool.

That can't happen soon enough. Trust me.

---------

BTW, pitbuls are only now the dog boogeyman. It wasn't always the pitbul that people chose to demonize. In the past it once was the doberman, and rottweiler, and even the german shepherd a long time ago.

This idiocy too shall pass.

I think you pretty much defined a black lab. Keep it brushed and it won't shed too bad. Friendly, goofy, smart enough. Nonthreatening, but big enough for pet deterrence. Now, I'm not a poodle fan either but my Mom had a couple of poodles that had been retired show dogs (she took them when teh breeder died and my sister who was her assistant had to find homes for 18 poodles :eek: ) They were great dogs. Just don't cut them so they look stupid.

Of course, I'd go for a Rhodesian Ridgeback. They resemble a Boxer, except are much prettier ( :footinmou sorry boxer fans).

They aren't for a novice dog owner, however. I'm not a good trainer at all, but I had to do a lot of work just to be the basics of housebreaking and "come back" !

Emanuel said:
As with all anti-pitbul statements, this one too has nothing to do with reality.
These are actually very intelligent dogs, as mine prove everyday. Easily trainable, and very happy to please.
BTW, pitbuls are only now the dog boogeyman. It wasn't always the pitbul that people chose to demonize. In the past it once was the doberman, and rottweiler, and even the german shepherd a long time ago.
This idiocy too shall pass.

I spoke about this once to Emanuel before, on another thread I believe, but will do so again for the sake of honesty regarding Pitbulls.

I was once at the local Kennels where my wife and I buy our dogfood and while speaking to the lady who ran the place at the time one of the local dog wardens walked in. After awhile our conversation drifted to the subject of Pitbulls. At the time I suffered from the media induced delusion that all Pitbulls were monsters waiting to kill the nearest defenseless child. The Warden informed me that in all his experiences with Pitbulls and their owners, almost all Pitbulls were "sweethearts who just want to lick your face and be loved." His words, not mine. The problem with Pitbulls is the idiot owners who want to turn them into monsters. Bad owners/handlers, not bad dogs. As usual, the problem here is not the animals themselves, but stupid human beings who can't think clearly, or who will subvert what should be common sense to suit their personal agenda of being tough and having tough dogs.

Do not fall prey to the media induced hype about Pitbulls. The media are, as a general rule, a bunch of fools who are just looking for the next sensational story to put on the six o'clock news. Truth and reality are almost never their goals or agenda. It's sensationalism. And whether it's guns, knives, SUV's or Pitbulls, they will almost always steer you wrong to get the next big story.

And by the way. The lady at the kennel, who has many years of experience with dogs of all kinds, agreed entirely with the Warden.

FoxholeAtheist said:
I think your requirement for a dog that will "mutilate any threat to my daughter" is, frankly, pretty poor judgement, and so would you if you had ever seen kids rough-housing. The first (and no doubt only) time your dog mistakes friendly wrestling between two kids for an attack would not only end up with a dead dog, it could also end up with a mutilated kid.

FA,

I took that as a joke, I don't get the impression that Gigante is actually looking for that.

In re: pits, et al. Forget Filas, Black Russians, Boerboels and so on. These can all be fine animals, however not for the average pet owner in average urban/suburban situations. Even regular pits, Amstaffs, etc. are too much for the average person. I happen to really like them, they're usually sweet and fun. But, in an average home most good intentions end up by the wayside in so far as training and discipline go. Real life intrudes and dogs pick up the bad (but generally tolerable) habits that most pets you know acquire. Even in these cases "average" pet dogs sometimes become a problem, witness the shelters full of surrendered pets. -"He won't stop barking." "Chewing." "Eating shoes." "Bit the mailman." "Stealing food." And on and on. These are regular dogs. The pit breeds tend to be so high drive, so high energy and so focused that these simple problems, that often lead to a dog's dismissal from a home anyway, can become much bigger issues.

Additionally there is also the perception issue. One might rail against it as unfair (and often I might agree) but it's there nonetheless. If your cocker spaniel bites someone, you may be sued, maybe not, but it will likely be 'just one of those things.' If your pit breed bites someone, it will become more. If your golden retriever gets out of your yard and runs around the neighborhood, likely no one will call the police. If your pit breed does, you can pretty much count on it. And when the police come, odds of a bad outcome for the pet are astronomically higher.

[Quote/]It is said "fighting off one of these dogs is like fighting an animal that possesses an alligator's head and a python's body."
Stuff like this is the reason. This is just too much for Joe Average to hear and remain unbiased against these breeds. I understand that some guys love this stuff, I really do, but they must understand how it affects the soccer moms of the world. "Fighting off" a dog is not what one should consider when choosing a family pet. Additionally, most of that is nonsense anyway as the vast majority of the pit breeds show little inclination towards human aggression. A GSD or Doberman is far more likely to engage a man than a pit, since they have been bred fror generations to do so, while anti-human aggression has been bred against in pit dogs, giving the generally sweet temperments they have today. Regardless...

The fighting breeds are fine dogs, they do not have to be dangerous, they do not have to be ticking time bombs, they can be excellent family dogs. Stay away from them anyway. In your situation this is not what you need.

In the past it once was the doberman, and rottweiler, and even the german shepherd a long time ago.

And neither would any of those dogs be my first choice to be around infants/small children.

Pit bulls are currently 'daemonized' for good reason. They are fighters. That is what they were bred for, and that is what they are good at. Once they get going, there is no stopping them short of a 2x4 to the side of the head. That they are the preferred dog of drug dealers isn't because of their 'cultured social skills'. And simply because some people choose to have them around small children doesn't change any of that.
Now, if I was looking to guard my property, then I would advocate pit bulls, dobermans, and the like. But not as a first choice for a family pet for small children.

And yes, we spent some time training our border collie ...she's been to obedience training and advanced obedience training. Very smart ...maybe too smart ...but with the proper training (largely consisting of training the owner, not the dog), that can be beneficial ...as opposed to being a detriment if left 'untrained', because then they're left to learn on their own ...and generally the wrong things.

As for the 'chasing movement' behavior, that is a 'dog trait' not specific to any one breed. I've got a mixed breed shepard/collie that does it. I also had an Eskimo that did it to some extent. The pure breed border collie does not. She loves to ride in the car and look out the window, and is the most even tempered dog I've ever had ...and I've had more than a few different breeds. As for the hair ...they come in long, medium, and short haired versions (ours is a long hair). and I don't see anything even approaching the shedding found in many other dogs, including those with short hair such as Labradors. All you have to do is brush them once in a while.

Dogs are funny ...it's largely a hit-and-miss proposition to find a 'good' dog in any breed. You've got to approach it like buying a car, and try to weed out the lemons beforehand by educating yourself in what to look for in a 'family dog' ...temperament included.

My wife knows someone who has a wolf mix. Now there is a cool dog ...again, very, very smart, and protective, and even-tempered. But, again, the dog has been extensively 'trained' ....and I'd still be very very careful about choosing a wolf mix if I had small children :)

Obviously you know my vote. ;) My Standard Poodle is about 70 lbs, she LOVES kids and is naturally gentle with them (as almost all Standard Poodles are), she gets along with all other dogs that are friendly with her, she is very tolerant of getting brushed and groomed, loves to play, but isn't rought at all, and she DOES NOT SHED! (She just picks up the hair from my two cats!)

Do a search on Standard Poodles. People who have had them tend to never want any other kind of dog. They rate just second in intelligence to Border Collies on the AKC's list, but their temperment is not as hyper as a Border Collie.

I never liked poodles until I worked as a dog groomer for about five months after college. Even the miniature poodles weren't the ankle-biters I had stereotyped them as. I just fell in love with the breed, the way they will look at you and seem to know so much more than they should, and they are so tolerant and easy to work with, even though they need a lot of grooming. (A trade-off for the non-shedding thing maybe!)

~ashes

Standard poodles are nice dogs, and would make an excellent choice. I just can't stand the toys and miniatures ...as the yapping is enough to drive you insane (and that goes for all small, yappy dogs :)

And yes, for heavens sake don't give them the damn 'poodle cut' haircut. That should be a capital offense, IMHO :)

I had an uncle who owned a pit bull (Rocky), and it was the nicest dog ever. That being said, I would/could never own or recommend one to anyone. I am an insurance agent and can tell you that, statisically, rotts & pit bulls are dangerous dogs. Very few insurance cos. will write a HO policy with a pit bull. We get calls all the time from people who have been non-renewed because their ins co found out they owned a pit bull. They have a VERY hard time finding replacement insurance. Our co will not write a policy if you have a Doberman, Rotty, or pit bull (including Amer Staff Terr). Some ins cos won't write Ger Sheps, either - ours will. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that although someone may have one that is just wonderful, many more are not. Also, remember, these statistics were compiled by the ins cos. based on their incidences of pay outs. The people making these claims were most likely homeowners just like you, not gangbangers from the streets who have no insurance. I am not trying to change anyone's mind, just trying to give you something else to think about.

Ooops! Didn't realize you were in Sweden when I wrote. Hope some of the info is useful to you, anyway! :)

Back