Need help deciding on new knife.

Hello,

I am new to this forum and was refered here from a friend on AR15.com. Names Jaret, I'm 24yo and live in the greatest state in the Union, Texas ;)

Well on to the real reason I started this thread. I have carried a Case Sodbuster Jr. for the last 3yrs and have decided to get a new knife for EDC. The three I am looking at are the Case Butterbean, Case Cheetah, and Case Trapper. I am also looking for a picture of someone holding a Cheetah in their hand, as the only Case dealer in my area does not carry the Cheetah.

I work for Lithia and I use my knife EVERY day. To me a knife is a tool, a very valuable one, but nothing more so I have no need for fancy handles or engraving. I want to know what everyone thinks good or bad about the aforementioned knives.

Thanks,
JJ

Well the Soddies are tough as hell knives, be difficult to find one that will outwork it. Having said that any of the three you mentioned would make good working knives. The Cheetah does come in two sizes, the full size and the Cub and is the only locking blade. The Baby Butterbean of course is the smallest and the Trapper is a great all around knife. My choice would be a Barehead Slimline Trapper CV in yellow delrin.

Welcome, Jaret to our little corner of the universe.

I trust you'll find it a comfortable and enjoyable locale to learn a little and make some new friends (most of whom have some pretty strong opinions and convictions). :cool:

The only one I'd have second thoughts about on your list of three is the Butterbean. It's noticeably smaller than your sodbuster or the other two you are looking at.

Moore Maker is another brand (Texas company, but made by Queen in New York) you could look at if you are considering carbon steel blades, although I agree that you can't go wrong with a Case.
http://catalog.mooremaker.com/browseGroup.cfm?item_group_id=29383

Welcome,
I have enjoyed collecting the trapper and mini trapper pattern. I think they would work well. I have never handled a cheetah either.
I am not familiar with Lithia. If you can describe your work tasks that might help as well.

Ed

.. I am not familiar with Lithia. If you can describe your work tasks that might help as well.. Ed

Hello JJ and Welcome to the forum. :)

Big Ed asked an important question here above and beat me to the punch. If you describe what your basic cutting chores entail during any given day perhaps we can guide you on what type of traditional slipjoint may work best for you.

Something else you may want to consider is lurking in here a bit longer and read what is being discussed. I can tell you from expierence that it is the key to learning.

Best,

Anthony

If you like the basic pattern of the Butterbean, why not look at a full-size canoe?

Back