Need help on a commission

I want to start by saying Thanks for all the great advice yall have given me over the last few months It has helped improve my game exponentially. I'm not sure this question is in the right place/forum. but.... My nephew who has more money than common sense, is an avid body builder and martial artist. He wants a traditionally built 100% functional Katana. Right now, that's way way beyond my skill sets. so, question is if you were so inclined to commission such a piece who would you reach out to???? I was thinking Walter sorrels, or someone like him. I'm not even sure if he takes commissions.
Thanks Jerry

Those with deep pockets are looking at a long term project, selecting a bladesmith. Then there is polishing and then finding mounts, and saya.

You don't mention a budget but at less than $10.000, you may be better off window shopping for a ready made and complete sword. Have him do the educational part.

Cheers
GC

If his pockets are deep and he wants traditional, why use anyone here? Anything made outside Japan is NOT genuine, but a Japanese style sword or copy. Go to the source, Japan, to have one made.

If he wants a 100% genuine, functional Japanese sword in koshirae, look no farther.
This sword was made in 2006 in Japan by the Japanese Smith Masamitsu.

If his pockets are deep and he wants traditional, why use anyone here? Anything made outside Japan is NOT genuine, but a Japanese style sword or copy. Go to the source, Japan, to have one made.

If he wants a 100% genuine, functional Japanese sword in koshirae, look no farther.
This sword was made in 2006 in Japan by the Japanese Smith Masamitsu.
Beautiful piece and much cheaper than I expected! I would be very tempted if I wasn't in the middle of some unplanned home improvements. I was going to comment that there are several makers here doing "Japanese inspired" work, but they would be the first to admit that it isn't traditional.

Ok Let me re phrase
He wants a Japanese STYLE sword Made to LOOK traditional. He doesn't care if the maker prays over it for 10 days or whatever other traditional in country Japanese nuances are added. He Just want a well-made functional blade in that style that will cut what need cutting. Being an X marsoc trooper He kind of likes the American made standpoint. He just doesn't want one of those Bud-K copy's or anything of that ilk. I have seen beautiful work done right here in America. P.S tried to look up the link you posted would not open.
Thanks Jerry

Ok Let me re phrase
He wants a Japanese STYLE sword Made to LOOK traditional. He doesn't care if the maker prays over it for 10 days or whatever other traditional in country Japanese nuances are added. He Just want a well-made functional blade in that style that will cut what need cutting. Being an X marsoc trooper He kind of likes the American made standpoint. He just doesn't want one of those Bud-K copy's or anything of that ilk. I have seen beautiful work done right here in America. P.S tried to look up the link you posted would not open.
Thanks Jerry
I was having some server issues. It has been fixed now.

I understand what you are saying , but if you can get the real thing for the same amount or less, why would you want a reproduction?

Ok, if that's the case, he should get a Japanese inspired sword in 3V from someone like Dan Keffeler or Ben Tendick. Those are great at hacking stuff in the woods and he can leave the authentic piece for someone who will appreciate it more.

Attachments

• Kat_Masamitsu_CUO1.jpg
    Kat_Masamitsu_CUO1.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Kat_Masamitsu_CUO2.jpg
    Kat_Masamitsu_CUO2.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Kat_Masamitsu_CUO3.jpg
    Kat_Masamitsu_CUO3.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Masamitsu_Boshi_U.jpg
    Masamitsu_Boshi_U.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Masamitsu_Mei.jpg
    Masamitsu_Mei.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Masamitsu_Koshirae_FVO.jpg
    Masamitsu_Koshirae_FVO.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Masamitsu_Koshirae_FVU.jpg
    Masamitsu_Koshirae_FVU.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Thats what I am asking for. That is well within His price range and when I said traditional, I guess I misspoke. What I meant was Traditional (LOOKING) mountings not G-10 or micarta scales. With the traditional looking blade geometry and the traditional Hamon. Don't care where it's made. And I 100% agree save the family blades or the Japanese traditionally made blade for a person who will appreciate it for more than just a sword.
Thanks for the help
Jerry

I wouldn't recommend any Japanese or Japanese style sword for hacking stuff in the woods. That kind of abuse will result in damaging the sword.

If as you say he is a martial artist, I assumed he would be using it for kata and maybe tameshigiri. Anything will work for that. I would tell him to buy something like a Hanwei (Paul Chen) practical plus. Very durable and affordable in the event he damages it in use.

I don't have much constructive advice for the OP. I just wanted to jump in and thank Southern Comfort once again for his contributions to this place. Dude, I took a look at your site, and when I opened the pictures of that Yoshimitsu piece, my eyes welled up with tears because I was so overcome with the amazing craftsmanship just oozing from it. Not every day I get to see such beautiful workmanship. Thanks.

I don't have much constructive advice for the OP. I just wanted to jump in and thank Southern Comfort once again for his contributions to this place. Dude, I took a look at your site, and when I opened the pictures of that Yoshimitsu piece, my eyes welled up with tears because I was so overcome with the amazing craftsmanship just oozing from it. Not every day I get to see such beautiful workmanship. Thanks.
Thank you sir.

Back