Need help to identify special blade.

Does anyone know what kind of knife this is? IT does not have any markings accept "stainless" (in German) on the blade. No antique shop has been able to identify it yet. Input would be greatly appreciated.
IMG-20210315-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20210315-WA0005.jpg

looks like a fancy butter or cheese knife, that section in the middle should make for perfect curls ;)

it looks like someone wanted to make a groove or plough plane from a butter knife base?
(like this tool)
https://www.fine-tools.com/nuthobel.html

Last edited:
looks like a fancy butter or cheese knife, that section in the middle should make for perfect curls ;)

it looks like someone wanted to make a groove or plough plane from a butter knife base?
(like this tool)
https://www.fine-tools.com/nuthobel.html

Thanks, it does look like some kind of groove indeed, but it is relatively small. I was thinking about some kind of tool to easily strip meat off of bone. I have been unable to find something similar using Google. It looks quite classic/fancy. Nothing like a fishing knife or 'workshop' tool. More some kind of table/diner knife.

The only marking is "Rostfrei" on the blade? If it's stainless, it's relatively new (stainless wasn't widely used until well into the 20th century).

If I had to guess, I'd say D dirc was really close, and it's an improvised tool for creating chocolate curls, since the width of the channel looks about the width of a chocolate bar. In a kitchen setting, you'd normally use a dedicated channel knife to make curls (it's like a narrower version of a vegetable peeler). I can't think of anything you'd be doing at the table where you'd need a tool like this, but maybe it was created for some sort of table-side presentation?

His name is Bob, and we've been looking all over for him! He's kinda special, if ya know what I mean. No, it's not like we want him back, hell no, just wanna make sure he has a good home...

Maybe when you rest it on the side of the butter dish, that protrusion allows it to hold on versus sliding off and getting butter smear on the table? I know other “master” butter knives have an upward bend in the blade to keep it off the table surface.

THAT'S the most logical answer I've heard!

EDIT: Very interesting knife!

Is the edge on the groove sharp, how about the edge on the knife?

If so, it may have been a bar knife for cutting long & thin lemon peels for use in cocktails.

It looks like the bend in the blade is pronounced at the spine and tapers to the edge, so that the edge is straight and it wouldn't be used to make a unique cut. Perhaps it had a matching dish and the blade was made to rest on it.

Maybe when you rest it on the side of the butter dish, that protrusion allows it to hold on versus sliding off and getting butter smear on the table? I know other “master” butter knives have an upward bend in the blade to keep it off the table surface.

Butter knives are unsharpened and have a round tip.

Some kind of bird knife that would pair with a fork? The fork would hold the bird and the channel would guide the knife.

I'm not sure if it is true, but I ran across one of these years ago at a local antique store and it was explained to me that it is simply a guide on a carving knife to help with even slices.

Maybe it is a cheese knife and the bump-out is to force the slices outward so they don’t stick?

Butter knives are unsharpened and have a round tip.

Looks about as dull as all butter knives I’ve seen and a quick .0003 second search for “vintage butter knife” will reveal pics of all sorts of butter knives with clip points, notched points, curved, bent, and rounded ends.

I’m sending the pic to all my relatives who collect antiques and live in Germany lol.

Last edited:
Maybe it is a cheese knife and the bump-out is to force the slices outward so they don’t stick?
You may be on to something, but I would think the bump-out would be on the other side of the blade for right-handed use.

Back