Need Help, Torn Between 2 Knives

I am looking for a good camping knife (wood cutting/splitting, camp work, etc). I have researched, read numerous threads & reviews, & watched plenty of youtube videos. I have narrowed my choices and now torn between the Ka-bar Heavy Bowie and the Becker BK9. I believe they are both made by Ka-bar and the specs are very, very similar other than handle materials (feel free to correct me if I am wrong). I am curious why many here have bought the BK9; and opinions on which of these two knives would be the best investment/purchase. Thanks in advance.

I say BK9. The thumb ramp is nice, while the Heavy Bowie lacks one. The handle is removable making it easier to clean (admittedly, cleaning just isn't an issue with the Heavy Bowie) and lends to some customization options. You can also just remove the scales if they happen to break or become otherwise damaged and can easily wrap the handle with paracord. I think you will get more forward momentum with the BK9 on those heavy swings, and you naturally want this if it is going to be your chopper.

To answer your question directly, I got the BK9 as a Christmas present. I had had such good experience with my BK10 (a model that you can't find anymore) that I didn't even think twice about sticking with Becker.

I have never used the Heavy Bowie, however, so others here might have equally great things to say about it over the Becker. It is cheaper, and if money is an issue I have no doubt that it will serve you just fine if that is what you decide to go with.

I cant tell you anything about the Heavy Bowie (never had one), but I can tell you the BK9 will get the job done! It's a beast that can take a beating.

P1060214.jpg

P1070380.jpg

BK-9 beyond question. Oh, and welcome aboard Blade Forums, and to the Becker sub-forum.

Hey Isutigers....

Welcome.........

Please bear in mind that I have a certain bias here.......Both are excellent choppers with roughly equivalent steels (BK 9 is some better).......Tooje designed the Heavy Bowie and did a great job, He also designed the heat treating protocol for the Becker knives which is better than that for the Heavy Bowie.......All this is stuff that I severely doubt you will ever notice in the field.......

What I WOULD notice is the better balance of the BK 9 and especially it's balance when you choke up on it to do the little stuff to the big stuff you just chopped down......Both are worthy knives that will perform at a high level..........

Thanks for the question and I hope you find time to come back.....

All Best...

ethan

Well in the tradition of bladeforums I would say get both! That's what I did:).
I'll mention a couple differences between these knives.
The BK9 comes with a very thin edge which bites deep when chopping and allows for smooth slicing. I normally like to thin out the factory edge but that is not necessary with the Becker.
I find the Becker's handle to be slippery. I would suggest using a lanyard for more stability and perhaps wrapping the scales with some kind of athletic tape.
Or if you don't mind the additional cost, the optional micarta scales are awesome and turn the Becker from a great knife into a knife that would rival a $300 custom.
The Heavy Bowie does not have as much of a forward weight bias because of the longer clip point design. However, you can use the great pommel design to slide your hand way back on the grip for more power when chopping. The handle is a hard rubber and does not cause hot spots like the softer kraton on the Cold Steel Trailmaster, for instance.
The Heavy Bowie is made in Taiwan while the Becker is made in the U.S.
Both of these knives are winners and you won't go wrong with either one.

Try this, I have a bk9 and I got a Short Heavy bowie with the 7 inch blade, so I have the best of both worlds. I also have a camillus bk7 with the micarta scales, it will be the blade I grab on a campiong trip. I also have a rc 4 to round out the small utility jobs.

Thanks to all for their opinion and for the welcome to the board. Due to the feedback, I am going to place an order for the BK9. There were some subtle differences I was unaware of (thanks for the heads-up) and I would prefer to purchase a USA product over a foreign import.

Main reason against purchasing both, I do not want to overburden my backpack and myself with too much weight. @AF - Thanks for the info on the handle, I will consider the micarta scales vs athletic tape for better handling.

I have noticed that Becker owners are very enthusiastic about the Becker item(s) they own; and I hope to become a fan too. To everyone that has replied - Thanks again.

Forgive me for getting to this late, but at this point I can at least offer a 'congrats' on a good choice. The BK9 is an absolute champ, and indeed has probably supplanted the Heavy Bowie in my big knife category. The handle on the BK9 is much more intelligently proportioned (and this coming from someone with notoriously large hands). The balance is also set up to make it a better chopper in general. Both are comfortable to choke up on in a general sense. I still enjoy both, but when I 'need' a big knife, I always seem to reach for the BK9. I was also quite happy with it after ditching the coating.

BeckerandRayban001.jpg

BeckerandRayban007-1.jpg

kabarvsbecker001.jpg

kabarvsbecker003.jpg

kabarvsbecker006.jpg

kabarvsbecker007.jpg

kabarvsbecker008.jpg

kabarvsbecker013.jpg

Hi Guys,

I designed the Heavy Bowie as a knife to go up against the Becker BK-9 when Ethan and BK & T were part of Camillus.
The HB uses 1085 vs. 1095 CV for the BK-9. Heat treat protocol is the same for both. 1085 will be tougher but the Cro-Van will produce a sharper, finer edge.
We were going to drop the HB when Ethan came on board but the sales numbers actually got better so we kept it in the line. Either will serve you well. You have a choice or you can buy both.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng.
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

I am looking for a good camping knife (wood cutting/splitting, camp work, etc). I have researched, read numerous threads & reviews, & watched plenty of youtube videos. I have narrowed my choices and now torn between the Ka-bar Heavy Bowie and the Becker BK9. I believe they are both made by Ka-bar and the specs are very, very similar other than handle materials (feel free to correct me if I am wrong). I am curious why many here have bought the BK9; and opinions on which of these two knives would be the best investment/purchase. Thanks in advance.

good on you for doing your research upfront, that's the way to do it :)

Bladite

Have both, like both.
Only had the bk-9 a few months now but prefer it due to the grind and the fact it performs like a good butcher knife in all respects, it slices better but have not noticed a huge difference between the 2 in chopping.

My heavy bowie has worked hard for a couple years, one of the few I loan to buddies camping due to it's toughness and cost, chip a rock just grab a file, not something I would do to my Koster Survivor. Very hard to beat on price.

Back