need help!!!

BUT I WOULD STILL LOVE TO SEE THE 16 IN A BLACK SHEATH!!! - end of shouting rant.

While the Sweet 16 certainly hits (forgive me) a sweet spot for capability/size/weight/handiness , the BK3 and a 11/14/24 would probably do ya fine. Now if you want just one knife to do the prying, cutting, slicing, etc. and weight is not a big factor - then just get a BK-2 and you won't ever have a care.

As for the sheath: there is a plethora of sheaths available in black out there - be it Kydex, leather or sleeved nylon. KaBar might even hook you up in that regard and ship the knives to you with something they can readily source through their already existing supply chain. KaBar certainly sells knives with black sheaths.

Separately, despite that fact that KaBar seems to be reducing the variety of Tweeners and may not be looking to add another, I have always thought that a Tweener sized BK-2 would be a hit - especially if made of stock thinner than .250 but perhaps thicker than the 15/16/17. KaBar, if you are listening I would buy two in addition to the needs of this agency and I'm sure enough of the faithful would fill out your sprint run minimum volume requirement.

I’m kinda thinking of a well known inexpensive fixed blade from Sweden that is tough as nails and a much less expensive option, and comes in stainless, which I would think a good option for someone working a seaport...

YOU are a knife guy, but do you foresee your coworkers caring for their knives enough to keep 1095 rust free in a salt air environment?

For that matter, I can’t believe that stainless steel isn’t a requirement being given to you. In a salt air environment and in contact with food products, I can’t imagine them wanting carbon steel blades.
Plus, imagine what you look like to your boss when you recommend the knife, and six months later everyone is bitching about these crappy blades that keep rusting.

I’m a huge Becker fan, but not sure it’s he right tool for the job in this case...

Last edited:
I'm a Becker fan too, but there are some other good knives out there. 19-3ben makes some good points about stainless. The Ontario MOD Mark 3 Dive Knife might be a good choice. It is stainless, appears to be a tough enough knife, and looks to have a decent black sheath. In addition, it is US made and it has a national stock number. So it might be easier and cheaper to source. Finally, if for whatever reason it turns out to be a bust, one's boss can hardly blame one for suggesting a US Navy issued knife.

19-3ben, Gun Doc:

You guys make sense - much sense; however, OP wants a Becker and we want them to have Beckers!

Moreover, I want a Tweener BK-2.

Now, with all of that being said, you guys do make sense; but ...

Salty,

In my experience, I often end up going in another direction once I step back and look at "the real question." In this case, the OP thinks he wants the best Becker. But what he really wants is the best knife for the job, and that may not be a Becker. As I said, I'm a big fan of Becker knives, and also Ethan himself. But the line up doesn't cover all the bases.

Seems to me a saber grind 16 is pretty close to a Tweener BK-2.

however, OP wants a Becker and we want them to have Beckers!

Do we? If 40 people get a bad taste in their mouth for Becker and Kabar because they get new knives that all get rusty quickly in a salt air environment unless rigorously maintained, does that help the workers? Kabar? Ethan? The OP who suggested that knife?
When it comes time that someone pays for picking the wrong tool for the job and wasting piece of their departmental budget allocation, how is the OP going to look? Does it do a good job showcasing Ethan’s great design when everyone is carrying a knife that has turned to a rusty pile of crap in 6 months?

When picking knives for a group of people who are likely not knife people we need to consider a different set of parameters. They are going to treat their knife like any other piece of gear. It sits on the belt, comes out when needed, and then goes back. Maintenance doesn’t really come into their mindset, and let’s face facts. 1095 is fantastic steel but if it’s going to be in the salt air of a seaport day in and day out, it’s going to need a rigorous maintenance routine.

I’ll stand by my suggestion for Mora Companion. If budget allows, maybe an ESEE 4 stainless (440c).

Salty,

In my experience, I often end up going in another direction once I step back and look at "the real question." In this case, the OP thinks he wants the best Becker. But what he really wants is the best knife for the job, and that may not be a Becker. As I said, I'm a big fan of Becker knives, and also Ethan himself. But the line up doesn't cover all the bases.

Seems to me a saber grind 16 is pretty close to a Tweener BK-2.

I will agree with your first paragraph but most respectfully submit, that as for me at least, the sadly discontinued yet wonderfully aesthetic saber ground BK-16 is similar yet not exactly what I was thinking of. I was thinking a thicker stock resulting in a stouter Tweener. Granted the current iteration of the BK-16 is a better slicer and the saber ground, while pleasing to the eye (mine included), gives way to performance in some regard for what were perhaps other considerations. I fancy the BK-2 as the Bulldog of the Becker line-up, kinda like a Mack Bulldog. My thoughts for a BK-2 Tweener would be more akin to a Bulldog Pup.

Do we? If 40 people get a bad taste in their mouth for Becker and Kabar because they get new knives that all get rusty quickly in a salt air environment unless rigorously maintained, does that help the workers? Kabar? Ethan? The OP who suggested that knife?
When it comes time that someone pays for picking the wrong tool for the job and wasting piece of their departmental budget allocation, how is the OP going to look? Does it do a good job showcasing Ethan’s great design when everyone is carrying a knife that has turned to a rusty pile of crap in 6 months?

When picking knives for a group of people who are likely not knife people we need to consider a different set of parameters. They are going to treat their knife like any other piece of gear. It sits on the belt, comes out when needed, and then goes back. Maintenance doesn’t really come into their mindset, and let’s face facts. 1095 is fantastic steel but if it’s going to be in the salt air of a seaport day in and day out, it’s going to need a rigorous maintenance routine.

I’ll stand by my suggestion for Mora Companion. If budget allows, maybe an ESEE 4 stainless (440c).

19-3ben, my comments were basically flag waving as an enthusiastic Beckerhead and, in retrospect, defective in light of your considerations. Now, me sometimes being up to ulterior motives, maybe a Becker in D2 or even a more chromium rich steel could emerge; just sayin' ...

For a government agency and in deference to the well placed comments quoted, Schrade, Buck and a plethora of others could fill the bill. It's sometimes challenging for knife knuts (and gun nuts) to speak of their passion for those that are unenlightened - your comments bring that to the fore. Ask a car guy what's under the hood and he will tell you the compression ratio, timing advance and maybe even the cam grind; ask a non-car guy what's under the hood and he'll say the place where windshield washer fluid goes!

Last edited:
shoot, many good suggestions here. I did consider the fact that most of my co-workers care for their knives as much as they care for anything else they use for the job - not much at all. An earlier suggestion I sent was a SOG Seal Pup, which does come with an excellent black nylon sheath, and the AUS-6 is easy to sharpen; it is still on the table. Mora? maybe a robust. And knowing their cheap ways, a 2 fixed blade combo won't happen; 3 & 14 would be sweet indeed. It's just that I'M A BECKERHEAD, and would love to see these blades being used for field gov't work. I do like the idea of a stouter (5/32"-3/16"?) saber ground 16; make them out of D2, and I'll pitch in for half of that order, lol.

First blade handed to me here back in '01 was a Gerber Gator, which I still have but don't use. It's been either that or a Buck 110 forever, with some Coast and S&Ws in between that seem to disintegrate by looking at them the wrong way, and I don't consider any of them to be good field options. One-handed operation, unlocking ease and a pocket clip is what works here (pocket knives, anyway. A fixed blade would be the simple, effective way, which is what I'm pushing for). The Bucks always get their tips snapped off, I've had to re-grind several into wharnies so they don't get tossed away. I just want a quality fixed blade that will hold up to hard work. The 2 is too heavy and thick, which is why I will suggest the 10, too, but I don't know if they will see it as too big. A 14? maybe, with scales. So narrowing it to 16 (17 if it can be found in such a quantity), 10, 14, Ka-Bar Mark 1, Mora Robust or Sog Seal Pup. Still rooting for a BK :D

It's just that I'M A BECKERHEAD, and would love to see these blades being used for field gov't work. I do like the idea of a stouter (5/32"-3/16"?) saber ground 16; make them out of D2, and I'll pitch in for half of that order, lol.

Me too!!!
So narrowing it to 16 (17 if it can be found in such a quantity), 10, 14, Ka-Bar Mark 1, Mora Robust or Sog Seal Pup. Still rooting for a BK :D

i would definitely not add the Mora Robust to the list. The reason i suggested the stainless Companion is the stainless steel. The Robust is carbon, and its uncoated. Pretty much the worst of both worlds.

Given your requirements and now that you bring up the delicate tip issue, I'd change my vote to Gerber Strongarm. they're black, stainless, tough as nails, and pretty much everything you'd be looking for.

zuluninja

After giving it some more thought after initially jumping in suggesting the BK3, I now think that what you need is a special run of BK handled smatchets in 3/8" S7 or L6 tool steels.

They should outlast Armageddon. :D

Smatchet! lol. 19-3ben 19-3ben , the strongarm was also on the first email sent. Companion, gotcha, thought the robust was available in stainless. I'm guessing that down to the wire, it would be either a strongarm or a seal pup, I'm fine with either. But still rooting for a BK :D

Zuluninja,

As stated previously, I am a big fan of Becker knives, and of Ethan himself. But I think you are letting your love of Becker get in the way of making the best choice for this particular situation. There are a lot of good suggestions here. I'm sticking with mine, i.e. the Ontario Dive Knife. I'll shut up now.

no, I'm fine with the suggestions. I'll make a first push towards a BK, but when presented with the numbers, they will go (if they do) with the lower cost option, so either a seal pup or strongarm, and again, I'm fine if they do because it would be a step in the right direction, i.e., a fixed blade would do a better job.

does your boss have a .gov email?
E's buddies in Bama (AKA Biscuit's climbing partners) offer a pretty stellar gov't discount, many of their models have NSN's, - and they have a line of stainless versions.

For the level of care they will get, price, and length I would go with Gun Doc on this one, it’s 440A steel, very affordable and made basically next door to the Becker’s!

ok vik, I'll get my membership back up today and shoot you a pm later

Since it seems to be ok to suggest other brands in a brand specific sub-forum (I’m sorta new and not always aware of all the rules) and a stainless knife might be the ticket: I’ve been very impressed with the Mora Pro C (carbon) and it’s stainless twin, the Pro S. Both cost a dollar or two more than the companion but the handle and sheath are a little nicer, also the blade stock is wider and gives the blade more belly. Good solid knife with a price to keep even the tightest of administrative over-seers smiling.

Back