Recommendation? Need info on True Temper Mini Hatchet!

So there it is! This hatchet is 12.8oz. The more popular craftsman minis are Around 10-11oz. I have not been able to find anything at all on this little guy. I have looked in old Catalogs I have looked at old sales and came up with nothing. It is pictured next to my flint edge hatchet and it is significantly smaller. The eye is also much smaller. And by the profile of the head and the bevels on the cheeks I would say it’s never been sharpened or ground back. The only thing I was able to find was a sale that was for a true temper woodsman hatchet that was listed as a mini but it did not have the stamp. It was the black and green sticker and it did not have the convex shape this one does. It did say the weight was just under 13oz.

Basically I am just hoping someone has some info on this little hatchet. What it was made for. I would love to see it in a catalog but I haven’t yet. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

2nd the made for me.Green sticker woodsman maybe made in Canada and I could believe the unbroken line stuff made by someone else as well.

So there it is! This hatchet is 12.8oz. The more popular craftsman minis are Around 10-11oz. I have not been able to find anything at all on this little guy. I have looked in old Catalogs I have looked at old sales and came up with nothing. It is pictured next to my flint edge hatchet and it is significantly smaller. The eye is also much smaller. And by the profile of the head and the bevels on the cheeks I would say it’s never been sharpened or ground back. The only thing I was able to find was a sale that was for a true temper woodsman hatchet that was listed as a mini but it did not have the stamp. It was the black and green sticker and it did not have the convex shape this one does. It did say the weight was just under 13oz.

Basically I am just hoping someone has some info on this little hatchet. What it was made for. I would love to see it in a catalog but I haven’t yet. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Hunter's axe size 000 or worn 00
page 21 https://bladeforums.com/threads/kelly-true-temper-catalog-1925.1654540/#post-18924813

https://archive.org/details/WmFrankfurthCoHardwareCatalogNo5/page/n77

I’m sure it is a hunters axe but this one should be later than 1925. And the other catalog isn’t true temper. Idk it’s really cool I just want to find this specific axe.

sorry square peg. I have already started on the handle. I’m hanging on to this one.

It sure doesn't look very worn. Really handy size and just plain old cool. Again, I love those bevels.

I’m sure it is a hunters axe but this one should be later than 1925. And the other catalog isn’t true temper. Idk it’s really cool I just want to find this specific axe.
That catalog had to be current at least in 1930, post AFHco takeover.
Do you suspect your hatchet was made after 1938?

The other catalog listed AATco made Champion hatchets' length of the bits for given size (not exact science but might point you toward 000 or 00 size axe)
000 2 3/4 inch bit
00 3 inch bit

Assuming it has original black finish my guess would be paper label 1930ies (1930-1938) Jim Dandy or Hand Made hatchet

Last edited:
It's definitely cool for sure.
Certainly a little bigger than the standard little 8oz Vaughan those rebranded for Craftsman, but still a nice little hatchet.
It would seem right at home on a 12" haft, I can't wait to see it finished.

I guess I was assuming it was a litter earlier since it is stamped true temper but no Kelly works anywhere.

and thank you for all the compliments. This was an eBay find. $24. I was suspect at first and had the seller send me more pictures. But I am very happy to own it! Hopefully I can find out more information on it at some point!! Thanks again!!

Back