Need more than a 3.5"?

I ordered a 3.5". I know it will be an ideal chores/camp knife. Is there a real use for a 6"+ that a good hatchet or forest axe or machete cant do better? Id like a 6+, but dont know if will use.

Funny you should ask that, @91bravo was talking about it recently here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/survive-knives-heads-up.1359094/page-65#post-17450766

I will state that my needs jump size pretty quick from my 5.1 or something similar (which has the 6" blade-length but uses/loses the lower portion in choil) to something closer to 10" like the GSO-10. The GSO-10 is like the ESEE Junglas and many other such large blades, a heavy-machete that can handle tough jobs or the need for a longer reach but is more compact to carry. In the jungle, I'd want the machete, but for de-limbing trees I prefer the shorter, more maneuverable GSO-10. A forest axe is heavy and can be awkward to haul around, it is a very task-specific tool and can also be more dangerous to wield than a large blade. A hatchet may be easier to haul than an axe and will almost always split logs/branches better than a knife, but it lacks some of the versatility of the knife and may also be more dangerous to wield. In my own use, a hatchet does not have better chopping ability than a large knife (depending on the knife), nor does a machete. The "heavy machete" is a compromise between the two which, for some, can present increased versatility to the user, depdning on his environment and circumstances.

For me, I rarely take the hatchet anywhere except the fireside, and I rarely take a long machete unless i am clearing a path of heavy green brush. But the "heavy machete" GSO-10 is at my side often in the woods, especially when I am downing trees or cleaning up those already fallen, and it's a great tool for making larger sticks into smaller stick when camping as well ;)

Some folks just like using knives more, and some consider swinging an axe to be less safe than batoning with a knife.
I think it all comes down to what you are comfortable with.
I grew up with an axe, and we never had any large knives around, so I'm an axe guy with a knife fetish. ;)

I have no experience with larger knives. What are the 8 and 10 great for that a 6 cant do (but a outdoor axe can)

Last edited:
I am a huge Machete, Brush sword/slimline machete, and chopper user! Use them about everyday. You will grow to love them and if you do a lot of wood processing, especially out in the woods, they will become a best friend!
I have quite a few right now, but my favorites are my 3V slimline machetes and my Carothers light chopper. They are the best team. The slimline for throne brush like blackberries, and the light chopper for wood processing and bamboo. The CPK light chopper makes quick work of even thick trees. Glad I got a backup, cause I use that A LOT!
I hear what you are saying about the small knives, I am eagerly awaiting my F2 4.1's! I bought a 7/7 as well to see if it will be nice to have an in between knife. We will see!
I would suggest buying and trying some cheaper big knives, see how it works out for you. For around a 6-7 inch, there are quite a few, this one has a overly thick spine, but works VERY well for a sub-$30 knife, the Schrade SCHF 37 Frontier with the rubber grips. It is a work horse! That is what I use when I know I am going to be abusing a my knife. Another good one for a "chopper" would be an Ontario 12 inch machete for 20 buck give or take, or go up in price to the Ontario RD9 or Ontario RTAK II if you want to try a true chopper.

Back