Need Smoke and Prayers; Stolen Khukuris

Hey Guys,

I came home from work tonight to find that my car had been broken into. Among the damage so far are my Amar Singh Thapa Khukuri and my Chiruwa Ang Khola. I'm simply asking for Smoke and Prayers simply that the tools are not used for evil ends.

They were meant as gifts and I had intended to mail them a while ago. But I arrived at the Post Office too late and they sat forgotten in my car. (If you feel like it; I'd also like some Smoke and Prayers so that I don't get into a huge mess when I report them stolen. They're almost certainly illegal where I am and I sincerely doubt that my intent to ship them a while ago has much import on the fact that I had them in my possession.)

But that is a secondary request--I'll accept whatever consequences come from owning them come what may--but most important is that I don't want anyone to get hurt. Thanks.

(I wasn't sure if this was okay for the main Forum, or if it should go in the HI Catina.)

Smoke Sent, Duzzy!
I don't understand why they would be considered illegal in your area, any more than a hatchet would be illegal. With that said, this topic probably is better suited to the Cantina, while it has to do with H.I. khukuri, it is more of a personal matter.

Smoke Sent, Duzzy!
I don't understand why they would be considered illegal in your area, any more than a hatchet would be illegal. With that said, this topic probably is better suited to the Cantina, while it has to do with H.I. khukuri, it is more of a personal matter.

Thank you, but I live in Washington, D.C. so I can't be entirely sure a hatchet isn't illegal... But the Smoke is appreciated.

Thank you for moving it. I've been busy cleaning up broken glass, and water damaged items; this was simply a short post while I took a tea break when the wind picked up.

Smoke sent.

I can sympathize with you. Earlier this year my house burned down and I was worried about my guns if I couldn't find them. I found my rifle the next day but it took about two weeks of digging through rubble to find my Springfield Armory XDm 9mm. Both guns were destroyed but if I hadn't found them I would have worried about them in the wrong hands.

I can't think that in the car all boxed and ready for gifting they wold be illegal but who really knows until the police make their ruling... :rolleyes:

Hope they catch the culprits Duz! You are in my prayers.

Thank you, but I live in Washington, D.C. so I can't be entirely sure a hatchet isn't illegal...

So you do live in a free country. It sounds like your heart is in the right place. If it looks like you're going to get grief for this, get a good lawyer who knows the U.S. Constitution.
Best wishes.

Smokes up.

These items are certainly illegal in my country, esp police check ups.
Unless you are seen with camping packs or hiking boots, khukuris with office wear doesn't match in their mindset.

Hopefully it's put to good use.

I can't think that in the car all boxed and ready for gifting they wold be illegal but who really knows until the police make their ruling... :rolleyes:

Hope they catch the culprits Duz! You are in my prayers.

I wish they'd been boxed up. They were in a backpack--I wanted to ship them Flat Rate and I needed to pick up the boxes from the USPS Store.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

im sorry for you, and hope things turns out fine:)

i understand the prayers but whats this thing about sending smoke?
is it a budist tradition or someting like that?
or maybe a "HI forums" tradition:p
i have seen it been writen and have wondered it menny times now:)

i understand the prayers but whats this thing about sending smoke?
is it a budist tradition or someting like that?
or maybe a "HI forums" tradition:p
i have seen it been writen and have wondered it menny times now:)

Many religions have some form of sending smoke. Wether it be burning incense, sage, etc.....
It is meant as a medium to carry good thoughts and prayer on the behalf on the sendee to the ears of the creator. On bladeforums, it originated here from the beliefs of our buddhist and native american brothers and has since been used in other subforums.

I am sorry for your loss.

§ 22-4504. Carrying concealed weapons; possession of weapons during commission of crime of violence; penalty.

(a) No person shall carry within the District of Columbia either openly or concealed on or about their person, a pistol, without a license issued pursuant to District of Columbia law, or any deadly or dangerous weapon capable of being so concealed. Whoever violates this section shall be punished as provided in § 22-4515, except that:

(1) A person who violates this section by carrying a pistol, without a license issued
pursuant to District of Columbia law, or any deadly or dangerous weapon, in a place other than the person's dwelling place, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, shall be fined not more than $5,000 or imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or both;

It is not illegal to own. You had them in a private vehicle and had no intent on harming others or using them in an illegal manner. If you are that concerned report the break in and just don't mention the khukuris. Just say they stole your back pack. However I peronally don't feel possession is the crime. Oh by the way if you do mention them you were shipping UPS or FedEx it is against USPS regulations to ship such items through them. I found this out when I recieved my khukri from KhukriHouse and showed a friend postal employee my new toy and he informed me that those type items are on their prohibited list and if known would have been confiscated and a charge to either the sender could be warranted and since the sender is oh of the country the only person left is the citizen "me" using USPS services illegally.

Sorry to hear your steel got lifted, man. May the perpetrators cut their hand off.

jamaljahda:

Are you serious that it's prohibited by USPS? How has Yangdu been shipping these by USPS for years (maybe over a decade)? Not to mention I've gotten knives, swords and axes from several companies shipped USPS.

Smoke sent, and best wishes from this side of the pond. I also don't see why you couldn't argue khukuris to be a tool, especially tough ones like the ASTK and CAK.

Oh by the way if you do mention them you were shipping UPS or FedEx it is against USPS regulations to ship such items through them. I found this out when I recieved my khukri from KhukriHouse and showed a friend postal employee my new toy and he informed me that those type items are on their prohibited list and if known would have been confiscated and a charge to either the sender could be warranted and since the sender is oh of the country the only person left is the citizen "me" using USPS services illegally.
USPS does not prohibit the mailing of knives thru them, only how they are sent. Your postal employee is mistaken and need to have the rules properly explained to him as he is interpreting them wrong. There is a long thread about this subject Here:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650064&highlight=shipping+knives+illegal

I'm sorry for the loss. Smoke, prayers. But, you were the victim of a crime - I'd report it.

§ 22-4504. Carrying concealed weapons; possession of weapons during commission of crime of violence; penalty.

(a) No person shall carry within the District of Columbia either openly or concealed on or about their person, a pistol, without a license issued pursuant to District of Columbia law, or any deadly or dangerous weapon capable of being so concealed. Whoever violates this section shall be punished as provided in § 22-4515, except that:

(1) A person who violates this section by carrying a pistol, without a license issued
pursuant to District of Columbia law, or any deadly or dangerous weapon, in a place other than the person's dwelling place, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, shall be fined not more than $5,000 or imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or both;

It is not illegal to own. You had them in a private vehicle and had no intent on harming others or using them in an illegal manner. If you are that concerned report the break in and just don't mention the khukuris.

1) If its in the front cabin of a car it is legally concealed. Glove box = concealed, under the seat = concealed, trunk - not concealed.

2) I don't think you are referencing the most pertinent law, I believe it is:

District of Columbia - § 22-4514.
Possession of certain dangerous weapons prohibited; exceptions.

(a) No person shall within the District of Columbia possess any machine gun, sawed-off shotgun, or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, sand club, sandbag, switchblade knife, or metal knuckles, ....

(b) No person shall within the District of Columbia possess, with intent to use unlawfully against another, an imitation pistol, or a dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife with a blade longer than 3 inches, or other dangerous weapon.

(c) Whoever violates this section shall be punished as provided in § 22-4515 unless the violation occurs after such person has been convicted in the District of Columbia of a violation of this section, or of a felony, either in the District of Columbia or in another jurisdiction, in which case such person shall be imprisoned for not more than 10 years.

Obviously, the key here is "with intent to use unlawfully against another." This is in the judgment of the officer encountering/arresting you. If it gets to the point of trail then judge/jury but you don't want to go there.

Despite my clarification I do agree with Jamal. In this case if they're in your car packed up and ready to ship you should be totally legal - no intent to unlawfully use them. You were the victim of a crime report it.

Back