Need some advice please.

I have a Contego folder with the black combo blade. I have a Grip, black/combo, that I carry for work and found the black coating to not be real durable.
I have contacted Benchmade and, as stated here many times, have received the form to change/repair my knife as I am thinking about having the Contego blk combo changed to the non-coated plain. I went to the on-line catalog and saw that the two blade options are Blk or Gray. If I understand this correctly a "natural" steel version is not offered, and it only comes coated, blk/gray. Am reading this correctly and if so is there any difference in the durability of gray over the black?
The other option would be to just strip my existing blade, as I did the Grip, but then I have to deal with a carbon steel that is not coated.
Any advice would certainly be appreciated, Frank.

The standard Contego comes in a BK coated version which you have and it comes in a Ceracoat version that has a dull grey finish to it. If you want a satin finish version you will need to buy the M390 Contego with blue/black G-10 that is offered by Knifeworks.

As far as durability I cannot speak to that as I not tried both.

The grey Cerakote is fairly soft. Some stripper could pull it right off.

I like knives that show abuse, so I don't mind. This was after one day of hard use:

The gray Cerakote is too soft for my liking. I understand the need for protection on tool steels, but for stainless - even D2, I always prefer satin. I was in the kitchen one night with my new M4 810 and scratched the finish cutting fresh Brussel's sprouts; this really bothered me so a fuss was raised, the knife went up for warranty replacement and on return was sold. I don't want to see this kind of damage on an expensive knife so seek out uncoated versions.

I also don't care for coated finishes. I understand the need for it on M4 but I wish they'd at least offer the D2 blade in satin on the 275 Adamas.

Back