need some help with this one

holo07

Gold Member
Platinum Member
i just picked this up at a gun show wondering if its fake or not and how old it is. thank to anyone with info. value? I am a benchmade man but felt it was a good deal for resale or trading.

Picture021.jpg

Picture025-1.jpg

Picture-4.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Last edited:
I have seen a few of that style before. I don't know if that is real, but I do know that Ka-Bar did make/does make traditional slip-joints. I would say just plug the model number into a search engine (it should be on either side of the thick base of the blades), and compare the ones you find with yours.

Toooj will be in here on Monday, he'll see this and tell you all about it. I don't think I know of anyone that has Kabar history down as much as Toooj.

Moose

Thats a sweet looking knife. My guess is that it's a Real older Kabar Slip Joint. Some one from Kabar will probably be around after the weekend to give us more information.

If we could get close ups of each blade and any markings on them, it would help.

cool trapper. weird that it has a bail. villagers demand model number and more photos :D

Looks like 1184 2 blade folder from 1980's not sure nice knife, possibly model #1197

Last edited:
holo,

Your knife is a KA-BAR Model 22107 folding hunter. The vintage is 1950-mid 1960s. Some versions had bales, some didn't.
Nutoknives; You are correct. In the later 1960s/1970s this model was changed to 1198 (The 1197 was the single blade version) and then in the 1980s it was changed to 1184. When the company changed hands in the mid 60s, they changed the numbering system from the old Case system to the present 1000, 1100, 1200... system.
But this knife is one of the old versions. It has the Bale, real stag and the 50s-60s tang stamp. The 1198s had a different stamp and the 1184s had delrin handles.

Moose, there are many with more knowledge of old KA-BARs than I but I do have one big advantage...I have a huge, well documented collection at my disposal for verification.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAr Knives

Talk about a good score!: :)

Toooj, thanks for the history lesson.

Back