need some help...

I looked through the stickies and couldnt find anything tryed a search and nada so i came here...

I need help with a few things,
the first is getting straight stiching by hand
the second is finishing the edges, I have seen some nice polished edges my edges allways look like plain cut leather how can i get them shined up?

thanks,
Andrew

First, getcha one of these: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/8069-00.aspx?feature=Product_4&kw=groover. It does wonders providing a nice line to follow.

Next use a couple of grades of sandpaper to sand the edges down nice and smooth, I usually start with a rather rough grit 100 or so, and end up with a 400 finisher on a lightly dampened edge. Finish off with a good rubbing of Gum Tragacanth with a cotton rag and you should have a good looking edge.

If you dont already have one, and edge beveler is indispensable.

First, getcha one of these: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/8069-00.aspx?feature=Product_4&kw=groover. It does wonders providing a nice line to follow.

Next use a couple of grades of sandpaper to sand the edges down nice and smooth, I usually start with a rather rough grit 100 or so, and end up with a 400 finisher on a lightly dampened edge. Finish off with a good rubbing of Gum Tragacanth with a cotton rag and you should have a good looking edge.

If you dont already have one, and edge beveler is indispensable.
my top line is straight but the bottom looks like a damn maze, what tools do you use to stich?

my top line is straight but the bottom looks like a damn maze, what tools do you use to stich?

I have done it two ways--the traditional way, and the omg-how-dare-you!? way :p

The traditional way: Using an awl to stab holes through the leather. Getting your holes straight on this simply takes practice. Using a stitching horse makes it easier, since you can look at the edge of the leather while stabbing from one side to the other, but it still takes lots of practice.

The omg-how-dare-you!? way: Drill press with an itty-bitty teeny-tiny bit (the same size as your thread if you can manage it) :D

~Noah

I have done it two ways--the traditional way, and the omg-how-dare-you!? way :p

The traditional way: Using an awl to stab holes through the leather. Getting your holes straight on this simply takes practice. Using a stitching horse makes it easier, since you can look at the edge of the leather while stabbing from one side to the other, but it still takes lots of practice.

The omg-how-dare-you!? way: Drill press with an itty-bitty teeny-tiny bit (the same size as your thread if you can manage it) :D

~Noah
hmmmmm I like the sounds of that second one.

Drill press here too, hold the sheath securely as you drill the hole, it will want to wiggle and still give you crooked holes on the back.

I like the term "omg-how-dare-you" method. :D Gonna have to use that one.

Back