Need some info Swordnuts.

First, I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. I have recently decided to purchase a Katana, and start some sword training with my Sensei. I have done some searching on the net. My choices right now are the Kris Cutlery 26" Katana and the Paul Chen Practical Katana 28 1/4". I know the designs are a little different and the KC katana is not really traditional.

Which Katana would you recommend for a beginner like me. I do have around 20 years of stick fighting experience, but I always wanted to learn how to fight with a katana. So I won't be trying to cut down trees.:D :D

I need to know where I could purchase one of these Katanas at a good price, and a trustworthy internet site.

Have any of you had any experience with Kris Cutlery or www.majestic-n.com/majestic/info.html Majestic Renaissance, Inc.

I can't afford much over $250, being a civil servant in Phoenix, AZ.

Thanks in advance
Darkjedi - May the Force be with you.

You probably really ought to ask your sensei. He can probably point you towards something that is right for whatever he is teaching. Another couple of points as well, most teachers start out students with bokken rather then live steel and usually they have them purchase an iato before live steel as well. If your teacher is going straight to live steel I'd be a little concerned.

I guess I should clear up a few things.

First, I will be starting my training with a shinai, not live steel:eek: :eek: . I am mostly just cross-training to understand some of the strengths and weaknesses of the katana and Waki. Stick-fighting is still my meat and potatos.

I will actually be training with another Sensei, that my current teacher trusts. I am used to working with 24"-26" rattan sticks, I was thinking of getting a real sword to help gain strength and get used to the weight of a katana.

I have not meet with this Sensei yet, is there anything that I should be on the lookout for: like starting students off with live steel.

Thanks for the reply.
Darkjedi - May the Force be with you.

I own Many KC blades, no complaints. tanto, naginata, short and long swords from them. their asian blades are sharp!

Keith

Back