Need the collective wisdom

Of the readers of this thread.

In the late 70's, I ordered my third Randall...first one was in mid-60's and the other early 70's for a model 18 that accompanied me to Vietnam.

The late 70's one was a 3-5", carbon blade, stag handle, standard configuration...even went so far as to have my name engraved on it..

Managed in the process of moving to get the thing in the wrong box....and at one point, thought I'd actually lost it...only to find it some months later in the garage with some rust spots on it...

I then began a process of using a mild abrasive polish (Happich Semichrome paste) to remove the spots...I was successful...but the blade now appears somewhat shiny! Had I known what I know today, I would have just sent the knife back to RMK for their TLC...

But the years have past and I have this knife....wonderful stag....unfortunately with my name engraved but totally and completely unused.....but shiny.

What should I do?

:eek: :confused: :(

By all means, go and use that model 3. You need to add to the stories in knife land. Just think how bad and lonely that stag handle beauty must feel next to your crutch tip model 18. Why it must be dying of a broken heart thinking you don't love her as much. After all she has your name tatooed on her heart.

I did find emery paper does a fine job to dull the sheen to the shop "shine". You just have to go slow and especially evenly through out the entire blade. It's a little tough around the hilt. I even used crcous cloth on my model 2 when I got out. Turned out pretty damn good. Good luck.;) :rolleyes: ;)

jimsbowies,
is the issue whether to use it ? Or whether to sell it ?
Your Model 18 went to War with you so I am sure you would want to keep that one close , but one that has been 'stored' for 20 plus year's , well maybe that one is not so important to you .Only you know.
If I were you and money is not an issue here then I would have to agree with sams, use it .
However if you have no real use for it and you fancy putting the cash to some other use then let it go.
It is your knife and you can do what you like with it .
Interested to know what you decide to do .
Paul.

Actually, I have a couple of Randalls that I "use" so I guess this model 3's for "keeping"....

So, would you consider sending back to Randall and let them "refinish" the blade?:confused:

If the knife is going on the shelf send it off. It cost between $35 and $50 depending on the condition. It will take 3 to 6 weeks in time. That is was what mine cost back when? Total I have spent over $400.00 refinishing my blades, only to have them stain again. So, if I'm using ok, if not I sell them off. Good luck and have fun with them!:p

Jimsbowies

Unfortunately I do not have any RMK wisdom to share, my knife is still on order. But any RMK is a familly heirloom.

However I do have a question. You did mention that you carried a model 18.. What is your personal and practical opinion on the sawteeth? Are they effective, worth getting? How do they cut through materials like: rope, wood, canvas etc..? Did you ever need to sharpen them?

Thanks.

Frankly, I see them as filling a need for armchair commandos and little more....

I never used mine to cut open canopies, 55 gallons drums or such....though I guess if I'd have had the need, they might have come in handy...but I'm merely guessing.....

But to answer your question, yes the teeth did get dulled from regular use of the blade....and I would just touch 'em up with the stone and that kept them sharp...

You know, I do recall actually cutting open a green coconut with the sawteeth once while on an operation down south.....

:)

Back