Nemesis on the Premises

This afternoon, my wife called to say that we received a package from 12 Bravo Marketing (aka One Stop Knife Shop). It was my Extrema Ratio Nemesis!

Got home and our friends were there with their baby boy. I got to watch him open his first Christmas present, which we got him, before opening my selfish gift. Knew just what he was feeling, but I didn't have the musical monkey toy.

The fit and finish were outstanding. The blade was hair-shaving/paper-slicing sharp. Of course, with a .23" thick flat/sabre ground blade, it takes a few tries to figure out how to slice paper. Also, the handle is smooth and there are no hot-spots, but there's no way this knife will slip in your hand.

Lockup was reassuring, the secondary lock stiff and trustworthy. Hard to Brownie pop now, but that's what practice is for. :D

Unlike last purchase (Spyderco ATR, which is one the best knives out these days), the handle screws weren't sealed with red Loctite. Quickly had the clip positioned correctly and tucked into my front left pocket. It went with me and my buddy to pick up subs. The Nemesis offered to pay, but I insisted it was my treat.

Now, when you think of a 4.52" long, .23" thick modified spearpoint/drop point type of blade, you're probably thinking it's a blade of action. Me, too. After our friends left, the blade was used to cut wrapping paper and curl ribbons on holiday gifts. Making pretty ribbon curls is super bad@ss when you're using a Nemesis.

Let me also add that ER did the world a great service by using hex screws. Makes it more Bladeforums. I opened it with a Brownie pop and moved the clip to the left with an Allen wrench. ;)

Drawbacks? Of course:

1. Loud click when lock engages reassures people in next county of successful lockup
  2. Didn't cure craving for Extrema Ratio Fulcrum II D like Kai, and now Brownie0486, have
  3. Price point makes it hard for me to buy Extrema Ratios for every folding knife owner I know
    [/list=1]

Frank, thanks for bringing Extrema Ratio to our shores.

Extrema Ratio, thanks for making such an incredible product.

Kai, Brownie0486, DumboRAT, EasEWryder, thank you for letting me know how cool these knives are.

thombrogan:

Congratulations on the arrival. Glad you are happy with it, worth the wait, now it's yours.

My MPC and the F11D both pop from the box no problem. The action is very smooth.

Stay safe

Brownie

Originally posted by brownie0486
My MPC and the F11D both pop from the box no problem. The action is very smooth.

Once pilot-error was eliminated, it was smoother action than a lockback should be allowed to have without a prescription. I keep moving my hand far away from my body and introducing wrist action. Once that was gone, the Nemesis popped open really quickly and smoothly.

thombrogan:

By goerge, I think you've got it.

Keep up the good work, BTW, I appreciated your comments on the "pop" and it's effectiveness with rapid deployment of folders.

Stay safe

Brownie

Originally posted by brownie0486
BTW, I appreciated your comments on the "pop" and it's effectiveness with rapid deployment of folders.

Well, it was important to me learn a new, bulletproof skill and I think it's important for the good guys to know that another perceived limitation (rapid opening of uber-tank folders) shouldn't stand between them and purchasing an Extrema Ratio folder.

Hey ThomBrogan, glad you like your new folder! Thank YOU for the edge-pro tip... Haven't gotten one yet, but its on it's way. Wow, ER folders combined with the Brownie pop... :cool: The whole ER line is amazing and my newest addition is the T2000M. Frank definitely provides top notch customer service! I just can't believe more people aren't gettin' in on ER:confused: ;) I waited years to give up money in the high-end hard use market- I never spent more than $200 on a knife, when ER was finally available here, I knew the time had come...:) Happy holidays to all you lucky Extrema Ratio owners and have a safe New Year!!!

P.S. The MPC always tries to treat me too, I think my GF is getting jealous...
:p

Glad to hear that you're treating your high-end folder to a high-end sharpener.

My Nemesis hasn't seen the EdgePro yet because I couldn't take off the thumbstuds and I dished out my coarse hone (you have to straighten them on a flat surface with sand every few sharpenings or else they'll surprize you in irritating ways. Other than that, they rule). Well, the coarse hone is closer to flat and I think that a padded wrench and the Allen wrench will take off the thumbstuds.

How's your T2000M treating you? I love this N690 on my folder, but I have a paranoia regarding stainless and large fixed blades.

Merry Christmas and may Santa reward your year of good deeds with Habanero Tabasco!

Originally posted by thombrogan

How's your T2000M treating you? I love this N690 on my folder, but I have a paranoia regarding stainless and large fixed blades.

Merry Christmas and may Santa reward your year of good deeds with Habanero Tabasco!

I haven't used it at all actually, except on some paper. The geometry is different than I expected. It is very ...machete/sword-like...? I LOVE it even more especially with the new handle and sheath I ordered from Frank! I want a Fulcrum fixie sooooo bad now. I haven't been hiking or camping 'cause I'm too chicken to do it with my busted arm... and I need some boots, but I will let you know, although I confess I am probably not the best source for a 'deep woulds use' of the T2000M;) Habanero... plus T2000M... doh, musn't get desires confused...:D MMMMMMMMMMM. Here's a pic of my ERs:

attachment.php

Attachments

• myers.jpg
    myers.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 112
Awesome blades! How is the new handle (T2000M) compared to the old one? How do you like the "ballistic gum" sheath?

PhoulPlae,
Merry Christmas! I prefer the new handles as it feels like I have a nice little cut out area to place my middle and index finger, and it feels more like my MPC handle. It's a really hard choice, 'cause the handle the T2000M comes with is so darn NICE. The original handle has a retention feature that is sorta velcro/lego-like...? It's really nice and I still have it to switch out when the mood hits me, but personally I like the new handle, which suits my hand better. As far as the sheath goes, I'm a really picky when it comes to sheaths, and even harder to please when it comes to leather sheaths, but the ballistic gum really feels good... Drawing the blade is smooth and unhampered by eithered too little or too much friction, and it doesnt leave any pressure marks on the blade like a lot of leather ones I have had. It seems really durable, and definitely well-thought out. It came with an OD green one with metal hardware, but I prefer my new black one with plastic hardware. Hope this helps:)

Back