Neophyte questions

I've been hangin' out here well over a year now, and thinkin' long and hard about the whole "knife for protection" issue. Even though I'm still very much of the impression that should someone wish me harm, I'd feel much better thwarting said attempts with a firearm, I've found that I just plain don't have a firearm on my person as often as I do a folding knife. So, to be blunt here I'm thinkin' about getting a knife with a higher tactical orientation, and trying to keep it around awhile.

I've noticed that as far as tactical folders, they seem to take one of two directions- they tend to be sharp straight and pointy (ideal for stabbing) or sharpy and curvy (ideal for slashing)

So, my question is, which blade design is best for a newcomer to this tactical concept and what are the reasons behind it?

As far as a knife that fits ones style I hate to say that I've got very little training. I used to do quite a bit of Collegic and Freestyle wrestling, and took a bit of Judo, and that's about it as far as anything of any remote substance.

Also, what would be a suggested way to get a stronger education in the use of a knife in self-protection? Most local Martial Arts or self-defense classes I've found are either teaching a pure art form, or they strike me as being a bit unqualified when it comes to the protection of my precious hide. (I run from any place that says the only way is their way, and all others methods are useless)
So, any tips or info on the knife style and education would be greatly appreciated!

A Caracci Pendelum wouldn't be a bad choice due to its concealable design and cutting surface. There is a good article about it in a recent issue of Tactical Knives (don't remember the date).

I do not recall the thrusting characterisics. The blade is more suited, it would seem, toward slashing.

Remember this though. A good cut ends the fight pretty quickly if its a bleeder. The body can only lose so much blood before lethargy and flat out unconsciousness comes into play. Can't fight if you can't stay awake.

Runs with Scissors,
My friend the straight sharp stabbing ones mean that you can slash with them as well, but one generally needs greater training to make sure all goes well.
The curved slashing ones generally require less training to be effectively, and depending on the knife you can still stab.

When one stabs with a knife they must be very committed and fairly close, no going back once this decision is made.

Slashing on the other hand can be extremely effective and still allows one the distance to maneuver either forward or removing the flock out of here, if you know what I mean.

Your next questions should be on specific knives. I will be waiting. Take Care

A good day to you, gentlemen:

I offer the following references as articles that introduces and discuss the Pendulum, a self defense tool that I purchased without hesitation on December 12, 2000 - Check No. 4954 :). Thank you CJ, your efforts and those of GG&G made positive changes in my approach to self defense while using an edge weapon.

Tactical Knives, Nov. 2001, The Pendulum, Page 60.
www.tacticalknives.com Tel.: (212)-807-7100 Fax: (212)-807-1479

Blade, February, 2001, Knives The Special Forces Way, Page 24.
blade@krause.com www.blademag.com Tel.: (715)-445-3775

Or you may want to visit a library.

Here's a link to a post I had a while back that Smoke put a link in to his reviews on several video's and some books for education/training http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=169418

As for which blade type I don't know enough to comment really or give recommendations but have personally seen (with a little practice... err fun) my slashing cuts go as deep with a straight edge as a recurve. Blade sharpness has made as much a difference as design for me though. Although I don't own any radical type blade designs.

TW

Back