Nepal forces kill 90 Maoist rebels....

China makes me wonder all the time, I'm wondering if they really mean that.....

What Nepal's got is a relic of the old Mao recruiting effort. China has come a long way in the last 50 years.

I hope that this is really China's position, to disavow the Nepalese Maoists.

I have some close friends in China and Hong Kong who are horrified that the terrorists in Nepal are calling themselves Maoists. It is their contention that Chairman Mao was a great leader who did a lot of good for China. In fact Chinese revere Mao to "god like status."

I don't personally understand the political climate in China and what Mao did to help that country. But I can sure say that support of the Chinese Communist Party does not live in me, and the sound of the words fairly rankles.

To my understanding, China maintains an online presence to the outside world, but inside China it maintains it's own rigorously censored web for ordinary persons and does not allow them access outside of that national web.

If I am wrong or muddled, feel free to set me straight.

. It is their contention that Chairman Mao was a great leader who did a lot of good for China. In fact Chinese revere Mao to "god like status." >>>

I think Mao's rule could be subdivided into different parts. The end was different than the beginning, which held more promise. I wonder if he didn't feed a whole lot of people, something China has always struggled with.
I doubt Mao ever deserved to be carried flagrantly by 1960's rock musicians for any good he did or stood for. I think they did it out of misplaced reverence and mostly for the shock value.

Even that leftist, Lennon, understood that. "but if you go carrying pictures of chairman Mao, you aint gonna make it with anyone anyhow."

munk

I have always had a nagging feeling that Russia, China, and North Korea are all playing a sort of possum game.

It is good to see the Nepalese military and police getting some Butt kicking done. This should make Uncle Bill feel better yet.:) :)

Rusty,

I have a Chinese citizen here by my side who says she can access US websites from her home in Beijing.

Does she have access to enough information to educate us a bit on this situation, does she really think Cina supports Nepal?

Rusty, I was in China for a while a few months ago & had 'Net access via a high-speed Ethernet connection from my hotel in Shanghai & via a dial-up connection from a corporate guest house in Xian. As far as I could tell, it was not restricted in any way. CNN, NY Times & other sites I wanted (including BF) were all available. I can't say if it the same everywhere in China but that was my experience.

Whoever coined the phrase "inscrutable Oriental" I believe was thinking of China.

Personal example from a friend:
------------------------------
I was at a Chinese BBQ place today and saw something I thought was weird.
This really sweet, polite old Chinese granny with white hair was there and
wanted some meat. The lady behind the counter didn't go near it but went and
got the "Hatchet Man" (butcher).

This guy comes out and looks all nasty and really pissed off. The sweet
little old lady immediately starts abusing the **** out of him. He is
snarling back at her and slamming stuff around, being really rude. Finally,
after ******** the guy around for 5 minutes and giving him a really good
bollocking, she gets a piece of meat she likes. When she goes back to
talking to the lady, she is all super nice and polite again.

I told Kim my co-worker about this and he explained the lady was just being very nice to
the butcher. It is considered kind to abuse the **** out of a butcher.
The thing is, he has to do all these nasty things like killing and chopping
up animals, so he picks up a lot of evil vibes and guilt which can drive him
crazy if he isn't punished.

So if you abuse him and make him pay for the evil things he has done, then
he doesn't have to worry about it. He has paid for what he has done. You
have done him a favour by scourging him of his guilt. The worse thing you
can do is just be nice to him, because then he has to carry the guilt around
with him and pay for it other ways. He may go crazy.

Weird, eh? Kinda makes sense now but it was very puzzling to watch. Kinda
humorous.
--------------------------------

I've found it true of many countries I've visited that when you start mingling with the people you find a different face than the one you see on the government.

Back