Nepal Newspaper link

Thanks, Ak. I noticed a bus crashed at Mugling and killed 41 people. I've taken the bus from Kathmandu to Pokhara numerous times and there's some very dangerous stretches of road. The driver and his helpers usually have a small altar set up in the front of the bus and they do puja while going thru the most dangerous areas. I can't blame them a bit -- the buses were fearfully (best word I can come up with) maintained -- running on tires down to the second or third layer of thread, brake shoes maybe 1/100 thick, shocks gone, steering 30% out of line and tie rods ready to fall off, unscheduled roadside stops to restock the engine with oil and water. It was a real adventure.

Originally posted by Bill Martino
Thanks, Ak. I noticed a bus crashed at Mugling and killed 41 people. I've taken the bus from Kathmandu to Pokhara numerous times and there's some very dangerous stretches of road. The driver and his helpers usually have a small altar set up in the front of the bus and they do puja while going thru the most dangerous areas. I can't blame them a bit -- the buses were fearfully (best word I can come up with) maintained -- running on tires down to the second or third layer of thread, brake shoes maybe 1/100 thick, shocks gone, steering 30% out of line and tie rods ready to fall off, unscheduled roadside stops to restock the engine with oil and water. It was a real adventure.
HOLEY COW!!!

Back